Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Re: Welcome to Baltimore Ben Mason!

Quote Originally Posted by RAVEN2FLY View Post
    That why I been saying the ravens should of got similar players to Kyle Juszczyk and Le'Ron McClain. Which would have been a more dynamic fit over a unproven pass catching full back. Not saying he won't be effective but you get my point.
    I think they still place a higher value on the positions' ability to block and/or create a hole for Gus or Dobbins. Trying to find balance between what Ricard gives you in that regard while also finding an eventual replacement that has better skills with the ball in his hands.

2. Re: Welcome to Baltimore Ben Mason!

Ben Mason is a blocker of a certain size and quality. He's a good blocker.

He might or might not be better than Ricard, or better at some things and worse at others.

But, importantly, I think, he's an additional blocker. The Ravens, when they want to put their 10 best blockers out there, and Lamar, would be able to put both Ricard and Mason out there.

Mason, too, is a short yardage rusher, with 9 TD rushes at Michigan. An additional blocker, one who can definitely run for TDs. It seems that Mason is more of a Fullback, and Ricard is more of a Blocking Back, if you look at a single wing. Lamar a Tailback, Mason a Fullback, they're back in the shotgun, sorta, and the Blocking Back is right behind the line of scrimmage, in front of Lamar and the Fullback. And then, maybe Villanueva is at TE, and Boyle is at wingback, behind and to the right of Villanueva, and maybe Andrews is on the left, TE, SE, whatever. That's one set of players who could be used in the red zone, running offense. Or, Villanueva plays RT like normal and Gus Edwards is in there doing something. Or maybe Tony Poljan makes the team, TE/QB, 6'7 250.

Quote Originally Posted by RAVEN2FLY View Post
    I'm not sure about that. He was listed at tight end but he wasn't used as a reciever. So not sure how he would play as Hurst in this offense. Hurst was a legit tight end. Mason is just a faster full back.

I think just because he wasn't used as a receiver at the college level doesnt mean he can't be used as a receiver at The NFL level.Hayden Hurst coming out of college was pretty versatile and was used in many ways. The Ravens used Hayden Hurst at H back where at times he was asked to block or run routes. I think Ben Mason has that ability even if he isn't proven as a receiver. I'm not at all saying that he will be Hayden Hurst but definitely has the ability to fill a similar role in The Ravens offense similar to Hurst. Hopefully Bobby Engram can help with his receiving skils cause I think he would be fun to see how he could be used in the run and passing game.

Here are video on how The Ravens used Hayden Hurst when he was a Ravens by Edgar Allen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crmzFkuuXig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y7TXvZTT5A

If we acquired someone to fill the Hurst role this year its Oliver.

That might be what they envision for Mason down the line but someone with 3 receptions in college isn’t going to step in as a mismatch TE at the NFL level from day one.

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post

That might be what they envision for Mason down the line but someone with 3 receptions in college isn’t going to step in as a mismatch TE at the NFL level from day one.
    I’m holding out hope on Jake Breeland. He was from Oregon, UDFA from last year who went undrafted due to injury and never recovered in time last year. Guy could play before he got hurt. Caught a lot of passes. Who knows. Maybe much hope but he had draftable talent.

6. Re: Welcome to Baltimore Ben Mason!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    I think just because he wasn't used as a receiver at the college level doesnt mean he can't be used as a receiver at The NFL level.Hayden Hurst coming out of college was pretty versatile and was used in many ways. The Ravens used Hayden Hurst at H back where at times he was asked to block or run routes. I think Ben Mason has that ability even if he isn't proven as a receiver. I'm not at all saying that he will be Hayden Hurst but definitely has the ability to fill a similar role in The Ravens offense similar to Hurst. Hopefully Bobby Engram can help with his receiving skils cause I think he would be fun to see how he could be used in the run and passing game.

Here are video on how The Ravens used Hayden Hurst when he was a Ravens by Edgar Allen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crmzFkuuXig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y7TXvZTT5A
    I don't think that Ben Mason is supposed to be Hayden Hurst.

Ben Mason I believe is a better blocker, and Ben Mason had 9 Rushing TDs in college. With Ben Mason you can get run blocking out the backfield and running out of the backfield. And you're not getting as much of that with Hayden Hurst. I would think that if you're looking at big red zone threat, probably more Hurst than Mason.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/b...-running-back/

Ben Mason needs to show more ability as a playmaker before he can be a legitimate running back. Having said that, his ability as an extra blocker out of the backfield makes him a superb addition for teams that still utilize fullbacks. He also has short-yardage ability, and his special teams’ experience serves as an added bonus.

He helps the Ravens be able to do a better job with the blocking when the Ravens put out 10 blockers + Lamar. The Ravens currently have plenty of pass catchers, and plenty of threads are out there about which of them are better, and the Ravens have enough good blockers, now including Ben Mason, to do 10 blockers + Lamar. Lamar, 5 OL, Ben Mason, Ben Cleveland (the timeline where Cleveland is not a starter), Patrick Ricard, Mark Andrews, Nick Boyle. So, the Ravens can do the passing thing with the WRs and Andrews and the Ravens can do the blocking thing with the TEs, FBs and extra OL. And a bunch of things in between.

Generally, the passing / in between would be used more outside of the red zone and the blocking would be used more in the red zone. The guys you want out there to run 50 yards and catch a pass are the wrs and you might want that option when you're well away from the end zone, but you don't need that as much when you're in the red zone. Really good blocking for Lamar really should do the trick to get the td, and you can pop in a running back as well. There should also be a 6090 TE in Villanueva, if Cleveland is placed somewhere like RG or RT, so that's an extra big target to go with 6051 Andrews, 6044 Boyle, 6033 Richard, 6026 Mason. At least Mason can run, they all can catch some, they all can block. The most potent thing the Ravens have is Lamar's running, putting these guys out there are the best or close to the best to be blocking for Lamar running.

What they could do is have some play called run right with Lamar or throw to Andrews in the end zone. Lamar likes to throw to Andrews, and will do so even if he's covered by 4 guys. Lamar to Andrews is often successful. Defenses are accustomed to trying to stop him, covering with 4 guys. It wouldn't be at all difficult at all for Lamar to run it in, pretty much untouched, if Mark Andrews is running in the end zone, covered by 4 guys. That's 9 great blockers and Lamar against 7 defense. Ravens win that. So maybe defenses don't cover Andrews with 4, but fewer to stop Lamar run w/ 9 blockers and Andrews in the end zone. So, maybe Lamar throws to Andrews when he's covered by a small number of def.

Breeland seems like he has a shot to make an NFL roster, but Oliver seems like he has much more talent without really any more significant health issues.

8. Re: Welcome to Baltimore Ben Mason!

Is there a thread on Tony Poljan?

Last edited by John Reglarperson; 05-09-2021 at 10:56 PM.

9. Re: Welcome to Baltimore Ben Mason!

Here's another Poljan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    Is there a thread on Tony Poljan?

J R, thanks for posting that video...
    Those who read my posts (if you dare LOL) know I'm a Poljan fan, and hope he makes the 53. He's BIG (6' 7" - 265 lbs.) and his last two years (CMU/UVA) had caught 71 passes (907 yards - 12.8 YPC) and 10 TDs. I mocked him to us in the "Pick Six" thread, and although EDC didn't draft him, I'm glad he signed here as an UDFA... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post

I think we generally assume that a tight end with proven receiving ability equals to filling Hurst role but that's not really the case. Hayden Hurst could block which is exactly what Greg Roman likes for his tight ends to be able to do especially if they are used in versatile ways such as lining up at the traditional tight spot and at H back. I don't know much about Josh Oliver but if he can't block well then that's not filling Hurst role but instead just a receiving tight end. In regards to Mason it's true that he wasn't used a lot or much at all as receiver either at the fullback or tightend position but his ability in that area is pretty unknown. Depending on how smart he is the guy could end up being pretty useful in the passing game from day one but we shall see.

12. Re: Welcome to Baltimore Ben Mason!

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    J R, thanks for posting that video...
    Those who read my posts (if you dare LOL) know I'm a Poljan fan, and hope he makes the 53. He's BIG (6' 7" - 265 lbs.) and his last two years (CMU/UVA) had caught 71 passes (907 yards - 12.8 YPC) and 10 TDs. I mocked him to us in the "Pick Six" thread, and although EDC didn't draft him, I'm glad he signed here as an UDFA... Bc
    I like the running QBs, ex running QBs, power running between the tackles, innovation, big red zone threat. Poljan seems to be a player who can help in those areas. Looking at his pro day numbers, he doesn't seem to be high sparq freakbeast. But when you're talking 6'7, and able to jump and catch in the end zone, and was a college QB who ran the inverted read a lot in his handful of starts, you'd prefer to add high sparq freakbeast, but you might not find that at all in the draft some years. DC has Logan Thomas, who has a resume similar to Poljan, with that high sparq freakbeast aspect that Poljan doesn't have. Seems to me that it's good that Poljan is on the 90, that he might or might not make the 53, but it would be a good thing to have him on the practice squad if he doesn't make the 53. Ravens needed an upgrade at big red zone threat in the second half of playoff games, and it seems like Poljan could be one of those guys. We'll have to see, the Ravens have a decent number of TEs on the 90 at this point, and some are likely higher sparq than Poljan, but lacking the height and the versatility.