Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: Welcome to Baltimore Ben Mason!

Quote Originally Posted by RAVEN2FLY View Post
    Why would Gus Edwards leave? And you really think he has the potential to be like McClain? Lmao.... come on now. You are just pulling stuff out your butt now. He is nowhere near the type of player McClain was in college or in the pros. You miss the target on this one. What indicators did Mason give you? At best this guy will be a decent blocker and the occasional hand off or dump off to guy if they don't find a better option in the near future. You better off finding a athletic TE and switch him to full back.
    I think you miss the target. They drafted this guy with a specific assignment in mind. They weren't just throwing darts at a board, which is apparently what a small cohort of fans think the front office is doing everytime they disagree with a pick that has an intended purpose that is not clear to them.

They didn't take the guy on a whim, so whatever it is they see, they are projecting a skill or a trait he possesses to the next level and they know a hell of a lot more than you and I ever will. Will it work? Who knows? But considering the hit rate of picks where Mason was taken, it's of trifling concern. The simplest explanation could be he's intended to replace a more expensive Ricard next year when Lamar's new deal requires them to squeeze every nickel out if the cap.

It's like the Stephens pick, I was personally like "who?"..."in the 3d round, really?" Then I got a clue as to how a player of his athletic profile could be deployed if it works. For years fans have been bitching about no longer getting those special freaks we used to get on account of where we've been drafting for years, so the front office sets out to get freakier athletes and turn them into usable pieces with what are throwaway picks on most teams and the moaning in the peanut gallery is still audible

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Drake View Post
    I think you miss the target. They drafted this guy with a specific assignment in mind. They weren't just throwing darts at a board, which is apparently what a small cohort of fans think the front office is doing everytime they disagree with a pick that has an intended purpose that is not clear to them.

They didn't take the guy on a whim, so whatever it is they see, they are projecting a skill or a trait he possesses to the next level and they know a hell of a lot more than you and I ever will. Will it work? Who knows? But considering the hit rate of picks where Mason was taken, it's of trifling concern. The simplest explanation could be he's intended to replace a more expensive Ricard next year when Lamar's new deal requires them to squeeze every nickel out if the cap.

It's like the Stephens pick, I was personally like "who?"..."in the 3d round, really?" Then I got a clue as to how a player of his athletic profile could be deployed if it works. For years fans have been bitching about no longer getting those special freaks we used to get on account of where we've been drafting for years, so the front office sets out to get freakier athletes and turn them into usable pieces with what are throwaway picks on most teams and the moaning in the peanut gallery is still audible
    I think its clear that he will be used at FB. The majority of people can figure that out and put two and two together Richard expiring contract. That's a given.

My point is not that he won't become a decent player or be utilized correctly according to his skill sets but its him not being the type of player I think would work best in this scheme. I can only go by what I seen from him on tape and his numbers. I don't agree this guy will be a Le'Ron McClain or Kyle Juszczyk. Which are the two prototype players I think will excell is this scheme. You just caught the back of the convos i been having about ben Mason.

Jim purposely avoids this thread to troll us. Truly a master.

I think Mason could make us better at FB this year. I love watching Ricard block people because of his size and enthusiasm but as a run and catch option he is strictly a novelty. From Mason's tape, he has some serious short yardage ability and is enough of a receiving threat to require attention. So Mason over Ricard would be a small but meaningful upgrade in the targets Lamar will have.

I think its clear that he will be used at FB. The majority of people can figure that out and put two and two together Richard expiring contract. That's a given.

My point is not that he won't become a decent player or be utilized correctly according to his skill sets but its him not being the type of player I think would work best in this scheme. I can only go by what I seen from him on tape and his numbers. I don't agree this guy will be a Le'Ron McClain or Kyle Juszczyk. Which are the two prototype players I think will excell is this scheme. You just caught the back of the convos i been having about ben Mason.

He definitely will probably see some time at FB but let's keep in my mind that when his name was called The Ravens called him a tight end. It's possible The Ravens could try to coach him up to play more in that Hayden Hurst role but we shall see. If anything this atleast gives a guy like Patrick Richard more leeway to play on defense a bit more and it possibly saves The Ravens a roster spot by doing so as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AQKingRaven View Post
    Jim purposely avoids this thread to troll us. Truly a master.
    Nice call there, lol.

I don't know Jack, but I like the pick.

He seems like a type of player that this iteration of the Ravens will make good use of. I'm definitely on the Ricard 2.0 train. That's not to say that he is used in the exact same ways as Ricard. I could see them evolving their FB/H-Back role a bit to suit Mason's strengths while avoiding spending money on Ricard in 2022.

If I have any criticism of the pick it's that it would have been more efficient to take him as a UDFA, but maybe the FO had a reason to believe he wouldn't have been available.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    He definitely will probably see some time at FB but let's keep in my mind that when his name was called The Ravens called him a tight end. It's possible The Ravens could try to coach him up to play more in that Hayden Hurst role but we shall see. If anything this atleast gives a guy like Patrick Richard more leeway to play on defense a bit more and it possibly saves The Ravens a roster spot by doing so as well.
    I'm not sure about that. He was listed at tight end but he wasn't used as a reciever. So not sure how he would play as Hurst in this offense. Hurst was a legit tight end. Mason is just a faster full back.

I'm not sure about that. He was listed at tight end but he wasn't used as a reciever. So not sure how he would play as Hurst in this offense. Hurst was a legit tight end. Mason is just a faster full back.
    There is definitely a place in our offense for a "faster fullback". On those plays where Ricard catches a pass and then looks for people to run over, perhaps Mason can turn 5 yards and a big collision into 15. Although those plays to Ricard are fun as hell to watch, they could possibly become more effective with a more nimble player like Mason.

Part of Ricard's value is that he fills two ( maybe three) roster spots at the price of one. The addition of Mason reduces or eliminates that roster spot value.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable1 View Post
    Part of Ricard's value is that he fills two ( maybe three) roster spots at the price of one. The addition of Mason reduces or eliminates that roster spot value.
    Very true...but would you trade that roster bonus for scheme versatility, a few more drive extending 1st downs and a few more TDs? I would. And I love Ricard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    There is definitely a place in our offense for a "faster fullback". On those plays where Ricard catches a pass and then looks for people to run over, perhaps Mason can turn 5 yards and a big collision into 15. Although those plays to Ricard are fun as hell to watch, they could possibly become more effective with a more nimble player like Mason.
    That why I been saying the ravens should of got similar players to Kyle Juszczyk and Le'Ron McClain. Which would have been a more dynamic fit over a unproven pass catching full back. Not saying he won't be effective but you get my point.