Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Welcome to Baltimore Daelin Hayes!

I do like this pick

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Latest OTA update I read about Hayes:

From Jeff Z on June 2nd - "Rookie outside linebacker Daelin Hayes showed his pass-rushing repertoire, beating blocking tight end Eric Tomlinson with a nifty inside spin move. A few plays later, Hayes got the better of undrafted rookie Foster Sarell with an outside speed rush."

From Jeff Z on June 8th - "Veteran nose tackle Justin Ellis twice deflected McSorley passes. On the first one, rookie outside linebacker Daelin Hayes corralled the deflection and rumbled into the end zone. A few plays later, Hayes beat Ben Powers, prompting Powers to grab the fifth-round pick around the waist."

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Welcome to Baltimore Daelin Hayes!

Even with the losses the Ravens have had @ OLB, the additions of Oweh and Hayes along with the development of Bowser (and hopefully Ferguson) have made this a position where it may no longer be an urgency. IOW, although I wouldn't mind adding Justin Houston, it is not where EDC will have to over-pay... Bc

This kid is going to be a quality contributor over his career here.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    This kid is going to be a quality contributor over his career here.
    My hope for him would be to follow in the footsteps of similarly drafted players like M. Judon, P. McPhee, J Johnson, A. Thomas. The path is usually special teams contributions first and developing into a starter.

Of course I hoped the same for D. Cody, J. Phillips, J. Simon, A. Jones, A Barnes, C. Brown. So we'll see. But so far I do see that extra "it" with Hayes.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    My hope for him would be to follow in the footsteps of similarly drafted players like M. Judon, P. McPhee, J Johnson, A. Thomas. The path is usually special teams contributions first and developing into a starter.

Of course I hoped the same for D. Cody, J. Phillips, J. Simon, A. Jones, A Barnes, C. Brown. So we'll see. But so far I do see that extra "it" with Hayes.
    Shas,
    Are we talking Aurthur Jones, Antwan Barnes and Cornell Brown? If so, I would have them in your former category. Mid to late drafted guys that developed into solid contributors.

Phillips didn't have it and Cody couldn't ever get healthy.

John Simon did develop and contribute - just not to the Ravens. Timing was really poor. Hard to get a good look with Sizzle and Doom both having good years in front of you and young Pernell and Upshaw still on the squad. Freaking Texans poached him because they couldn't get Clowney on the damn field.

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    Shas,
    Are we talking Aurthur Jones, Antwan Barnes and Cornell Brown? If so, I would have them in your former category. Mid to late drafted guys that developed into solid contributors.

Phillips didn't have it and Cody couldn't ever get healthy.

John Simon did develop and contribute - just not to the Ravens. Timing was really poor. Hard to get a good look with Sizzle and Doom both having good years in front of you and young Pernell and Upshaw still on the squad. Freaking Texans poached him because they couldn't get Clowney on the damn field.
    I don't want to quibble, but I see a bigger delta between these two piles of players. I didn't mean to imply the latter group were busts. But I don't think they were quite up the same standard as the first.

Anwaan Barnes was a fan favorite because he had five or six sacks in three years of limited opportunity. I want to say he had fewer than 50 total tackles in that time as a Raven. I think he had one really nice year as a Charger, and then fell off pretty steeply.

Cornell Brown was a good player for the team for a couple contracts. I think they only time he was a regular starter was in '02 when Ray Lewis went out for the year with a shoulder.

I feel as though Arthur Jones appeared to be on the same trajectory as Za'Darius and McPhee, for instance, before the Colts signed him, but he was never quite the same player--I think I recall injury issues. So in a way, all these guys were contributors (if not for injuries perhaps) to some degree despite being Day 3 picks. I'll give you that. But if we're dreaming about what Hayes will do, I think dreams of JJ, AD, ZS and MJ are bigger dreams.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I don't want to quibble, but I see a bigger delta between these two piles of players. I didn't mean to imply the latter group were busts. But I don't think they were quite up the same standard as the first.

Anwaan Barnes was a fan favorite because he had five or six sacks in three years of limited opportunity. I want to say he had fewer than 50 total tackles in that time as a Raven. I think he had one really nice year as a Charger, and then fell off pretty steeply.

Cornell Brown was a good player for the team for a couple contracts. I think they only time he was a regular starter was in '02 when Ray Lewis went out for the year with a shoulder.

I feel as though Arthur Jones appeared to be on the same trajectory as Za'Darius and McPhee, for instance, before the Colts signed him, but he was never quite the same player--I think I recall injury issues. So in a way, all these guys were contributors (if not for injuries perhaps) to some degree despite being Day 3 picks. I'll give you that. But if we're dreaming about what Hayes will do, I think dreams of JJ, AD, ZS and MJ are bigger dreams.
    Absolutely agree - I did think you had lumped the busts and injury guys together with the folks I pointed out. Agree they def did not have the kind of impact the first group had, but they were contributors. It looked like Arthur was poised for a nice career, but injuries curtailed that. That was a hell of a time for the 3 Jones boys with Chandler playing well in NE, Aurtur coming off a SB and signing a nice deal and Jon reigning as UFC champ.

If Hayes lands solidly among JJ, AD, ZS and Judon that's a home run by the scouts and FO.

Notre Dame owes us one for drafting boykins. All can be forgiven if Hayes becomes a solid player

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    That was a hell of a time for the 3 Jones boys with Chandler playing well in NE, Aurtur coming off a SB and signing a nice deal and Jon reigning as UFC champ.

If Hayes lands solidly among JJ, AD, ZS and Judon that's a home run by the scouts and FO.
    Can you imagine being Mrs. Jones when they were growing up? I'm picturing a lot of drywall damage.

I think the wrap on our discussion of the players that preceded Hayes is that the team has been pretty damn savvy at finding gems at these positions out of the mid-late rounds of the draft. A bunch of home runs and a bunch of solid singles, and a few guys who could not get out of the cold tub so you can't blame the scouts. Not many busts. (Ron Rodgers maybe?)

Reason to be optimistic. But expectations should also be tempered because this type player is often a special teams standout for a couple years before they land on the scene.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by HanktheRIPPER View Post
    Notre Dame owes us one for drafting boykins. All can be forgiven if Hayes becomes a solid player
    I second this!!

ND did give us Ronnie Stanley. Just saying
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco