Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Welcome to Baltimore Daelin Hayes!

Just watched his highlight reel. Looks a hell of a player at that spot in the draft and a damn good scheme fit. Happy days 👍

His intangibles are off the chart. If you are going to gamble on a later pick, he's the type of guy to do it on.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I like this pick a lot. A Sam isn't an easy player to find in college. He comes across as really smart which seems to bode well in terms of players making it and becoming contributors.

https://youtu.be/FqF7PmodtY0
    I don't know why he fell so far.

Does anyone else know? Is is just because of mid round depth at EDGE? That's where a lot of guys were rated.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    I don't know why he fell so far.

Does anyone else know? Is is just because of mid round depth at EDGE? That's where a lot of guys were rated.
    He’s just not a flashy player, and tbh I think the fact that he crushes the look test was kinda held against him here. Despite his traits he needs to blitz fo generate pressure. But, you know, that’s not really a problem here lol. And he’s got a damn solid all around game and really good upside dropping in coverage.

Basically he seems almost exactly like if Tyus Bowser was a very good athlete instead of a near-elite one. That’s a great prospect in the 5th.

And yeah there was a ton of edge depth in that range. A few guys were gonna get lost. Hamilcar Rashed went as high as the 2nd in some mocks I saw and he fell all the way out of the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    He’s just not a flashy player, and tbh I think the fact that he crushes the look test was kinda held against him here. Despite his traits he needs to blitz fo generate pressure. But, you know, that’s not really a problem here lol. And he’s got a damn solid all around game and really good upside dropping in coverage.

Basically he seems almost exactly like if Tyus Bowser was a very good athlete instead of a near-elite one. That’s a great prospect in the 5th.
    wasnt he injured (shoulder?) i might be off

Hayes meets Ben Cleveland a couple times in this video. Georgia OL for the most part handled him and he was a non factor.

Much improved a year later vs a worse team - added a number of moves to the pass rush, but yeah... average athlete. I can see a lot of almost-sacks in the NFL. Looks fairly good against the run.

Backup to Bowser, rotational guy, for a 5th round pick that's fine.

They probably love his ability to drop in coverage. Judon didn't have any experience doing that in college, Hayes is already experienced doing it.

Holding out hope that he's a guy that succeeds in our defense even though he's getting little fanfare right now. Could be another un-sexy pick that pans out for them. I just think it might not be for a few years. Don't think he plays much this year.

Much improved a year later vs a worse team - added a number of moves to the pass rush, but yeah... average athlete. I can see a lot of almost-sacks in the NFL. Looks fairly good against the run.

Backup to Bowser, rotational guy, for a 5th round pick that's fine.
    he was a captain. most likely a red star. def a harbaugh pick lol

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    They probably love his ability to drop in coverage. Judon didn't have any experience doing that in college, Hayes is already experienced doing it.

Holding out hope that he's a guy that succeeds in our defense even though he's getting little fanfare right now. Could be another un-sexy pick that pans out for them. I just think it might not be for a few years. Don't think he plays much this year.
    Pernell McPhee was an unsexy pick in Rd 5 and look how he developed

Again for where he was drafted I like the pick. In the fifth round you want guys that stick on the team and contribute in some way. Everything beyond that is gravy.

Pernell McPhee was an unsexy pick in Rd 5 and look how he developed

Again for where he was drafted I like the pick. In the fifth round you want guys that stick on the team and contribute in some way. Everything beyond that is gravy.
    Yup, the track record on mid-late round Edge guys has been strong for us. After a few seasons of getting coached up and learning the scheme they seem to click a lot of the time. We do better with the more versatile Edge players than the raw pass rushing types like Correa or Tim Williams.

Certainly not a position I would bet against the Ravens at in this range. Just hope the fans are patient and not expecting rapid development and integration. Year 1 is always a learning year for edge players in our defense. Then you find out what you really have in them by year 2 and year 3.