Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Welcome to Baltimore Shaun Wade!

I absolutely love this pick because the risk is next to nothing as a 5th rounder. Projected 1st round talent after 2019, 6'1, 195 lbs, long arms, high end athleticism, nickel versatility with size to play on the boundary. What do you have to lose taking a guy like that so late?

At worst - low tier CB depth (par for the course with a 5th round DB)

At best - CB2 or starting nickel

I also love that Marlo, Jimmy, and Peters are here, iron sharpens iron, if Wade is as talented as they say he is then being around three great corners is going to bring the best out of him

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    I absolutely love this pick because the risk is next to nothing as a 5th rounder. Projected 1st round talent after 2019, 6'1, 195 lbs, long arms, high end athleticism, nickel versatility with size to play on the boundary. What do you have to lose taking a guy like that so late?

At worst - low tier CB depth (par for the course with a 5th round DB)

At best - CB2 or starting nickel

I also love that Marlo, Jimmy, and Peters are here, iron sharpens iron, if Wade is as talented as they say he is then being around three great corners is going to bring the best out of him
    I pictured him like they use Levine. Like a safety linebacker hybrid. I want him around the ball and playing downhill. With everything in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by RAVEN2FLY View Post
    I pictured him like they use Levine. Like a safety linebacker hybrid. I want him around the ball and playing downhill. With everything in front of him.
    I think he ultimately finds a home at nickel, especially with Tavon's health up in the air

The big knock on Wade was that he played great at nickel in 2019 with Okudah/Arnette on the outside. But he had a rough 2020 when those guys left and he was asked to move outside... so what? All we learned is that he's a really good nickel and a meh boundary corner...

So play him at nickel... maybe even give him looks at FS, the idea that his stock completely fell apart because he was essentially playing out of position could be a huge win for the Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    I think he ultimately finds a home at nickel, especially with Tavon's health up in the air

The big knock on Wade was that he played great at nickel in 2019 with Okudah/Arnette on the outside. But he had a rough 2020 when those guys left and he was asked to move outside... so what? All we learned is that he's a really good nickel and a meh boundary corner...

So play him at nickel... maybe even give him looks at FS, the idea that his stock completely fell apart because he was essentially playing out of position could be a huge win for the Ravens
    Yes but teams move their top receivers in the slot at times like the ravens do with Hollywood. I can't imagine him trying to guard Tyrek Hill or Diggs or Chase in the slot. Even the steelers wideouts. He would get dog walk. I agree with putting him at safety but I rather him be that hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Stovall View Post
    Looks like a 2nd corner who might be moved to nickel back or safety.
    One or more scouts reported his natural position is SS. He is not good at OCB, which EDC obviously understood. Gratifying to see posters who follow OSU like him.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Yep - or he could replace Elliott at SS in 2022. Stephens is going to FS.

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    Yep - or he could replace Elliott at SS in 2022. Stephens is going to FS.
    I think I'd rather sign 1 of Clark or elliot and keep 3 safeties at all times. You need 3 safeties in our scheme ideally. We missed that last season.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think I'd rather sign 1 of Clark or elliot and keep 3 safeties at all times. You need 3 safeties in our scheme ideally. We missed that last season.
    For sure. I am not against keeping Elliott. In fact, I would like four available, in Clark, Elliott, Stephens and Wade. Even if Stephens and Wade can do other things. Wink will love the flexibility.

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Yes but teams move their top receivers in the slot at times like the ravens do with Hollywood. I can't imagine him trying to guard Tyrek Hill or Diggs or Chase in the slot. Even the steelers wideouts. He would get dog walk. I agree with putting him at safety but I rather him be that hybrid.
    Some of the best nickels in the entire NFL were late round picks or UDFA's, Robey-Coleman, Mike Hilton, K'Wuan Williams. Anybody think those guys could cover Tyreek Hill when they got signed as UDFA's? Wade was actually considered a 1st round talent when he was playing inside in 2019.

Let's not write off Wade before he even plays a snap as a guy who can't hack it in the slot at the NFL level

I do like the idea of giving him looks at FS as well though

Blog Entries

I think Jimmy may retire after this season. So Wade can step into a slot role and we can sign Averrett to take Jimmy's role. Peters probably has a couple of seasons left before he starts declining as well.

College teams often put their top WRs in the slot because it's easier to get production there, like with Bateman, Marshall this season. So, I'm assuming he will have faced a lot of the better college WRs at nickel.

Any word on Wade's turf toe and if it will affect him this year.