Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Re: Ravens Didn't Want A Center In Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Agreed. Wasn't Calais Campbell sort of mentoring Rousseau through the draft stuff?
    Yes, he was saying something like people are sleeping on Rousseau. Both being U Miami alums.

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    Saints would have taken Bateman .
    Or Packers. Bateman was RIGHT at the end of his range when we took him and he honestly could've gone to Indy instead of Toney and nobody would've batted an eye. I think EDC broke a few hearts in the late 1st when he made that pick. I'm sure there was a lot of grumbling and clenched fists in NO/GB war rooms when that pick was announced.

Bateman's rocky 2020 combined with a star studded WR class funneled him right into our lap and we got a player that should've been a top 20 pick all day.

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    Or Packers. Bateman was RIGHT at the end of his range when we took him and he honestly could've gone to Indy instead of Toney and nobody would've batted an eye. I think EDC broke a few hearts in the late 1st when he made that pick. I'm sure there was a lot of grumbling and clenched fists in NO/GB war rooms when that pick was announced.

Bateman's rocky 2020 combined with a star studded WR class funneled him right into our lap and we got a player that should've been a top 20 pick all day.

EDC did say both Bateman and Oweh were top 20 on their board. Where in the top 20, we can only speculate for now, but it's reasonable to assume Bateman was higher than Oweh.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post

EDC did say both Bateman and Oweh were top 20 on their board. Where in the top 20, we can only speculate for now, but it's reasonable to assume Bateman was higher than Oweh.
    Saw that as well, great value picks.

Chase, Waddle, Devonta helped the Ravens out a ton, they changed the landscape of the draft and kept WR needy teams away from Bateman early

I don't think Corey Davis (who was a MAC player) was any more impressive of a prospect than Bateman and he went top 5 in a sub-par WR class, little more size is all you can really say. We lucked out getting a premium WR prospect as late as we did, in most draft classes Bateman would've been far more hyped and sought after.

Chase, Waddle, Devonta helped the Ravens out a ton, they changed the landscape of the draft and kept WR needy teams away from Bateman early

I don't think Corey Davis (who was a MAC player) was any more impressive of a prospect than Bateman and he went top 5 in a sub-par WR class, little more size is all you can really say. We lucked out getting a premium WR prospect as late as we did, in most draft classes Bateman would've been far more hyped and sought after.
    I was worried that Tennessee would draft Bateman as a direct replacement for Davis. But they really needed help on defense and took a chance on Caleb Farley.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    I was worried that Tennessee would draft Bateman as a direct replacement for Davis. But they really needed help on defense and took a chance on Caleb Farley.
    That shocked me. I said "The Titans are Bateman's floor" during the entire pre-draft process. When he made it past the Titans I knew he was going to make it to us. Then the stressful part was whether or not they would pass on him at #27.

Blog Entries

Bateman had that big drop off his last year while Davis didn't. Davis also had the advantage of a great Combine which really hyped him up. He also doesn't have just a little more size. Davis is 6'3 and was almost 20 pounds heavier when he was drafted. That's a lot of size. Teams go nuts for guys that size/speed ratio.

Davis never came close to matching what they had projected him to be but John Ross went just 4 picks later so it could have been a lot worse.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    Saints would have taken Bateman .
    I think the Packers set their sights on Bateman @ #29. That may be why EDC took the WR first, leaving pick #31 open for Pass Rush or OT... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Bateman had that big drop off his last year while Davis didn't. Davis also had the advantage of a great Combine which really hyped him up. He also doesn't have just a little more size. Davis is 6'3 and was almost 20 pounds heavier when he was drafted. That's a lot of size. Teams go nuts for guys that size/speed ratio.

Davis never came close to matching what they had projected him to be but John Ross went just 4 picks later so it could have been a lot worse.
    I'm really glad that is NOT what we were going nuts for at WR this time around. I am really hopeful that the new voices in the coaching room are a part of what lead to their decision to take Bateman.

If mekari is stsrts at C week one, I'm punting a puppy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    If mekari is stsrts at C week one, I'm punting a puppy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
    Hope he didn't snap it to you...

Blog Entries

I'm just glad they didn't blow it.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh