Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Hollywood or Watkins in the slot?

this gave me a thread idea, but, I like what someone said about our WR's core versatility and being able to pick on teams. We have enough WR talent to at least theoretically (the other part of this equation depends on Lamar's development) really pick on another defense's weakest link, and that not be a bad option. Putting your worst option at CB on either Watkins, Hollywood, or Bateman is a HUGE disadvantage for the defense; there's no one to hide away, and that is massive.

Another thought; it seems like Duvernay will be hard pressed to find targets, which really sucks, but he's such a talented player with the ball in his hands that I hope we continue to find ways to get him involved and don't give up on him. I feel like a field that has Lamar, Hollywood, Dobbins, and Duvernay together should be illegal in 48 states. There just has to be more ways to make that work, and to scare the shit out of teams. Those are 4 homerun hitters; how many other teams can put on the field four homerun hitters?

Quote Originally Posted by Julius486 View Post
    this gave me a thread idea, but, I like what someone said about our WR's core versatility and being able to pick on teams. We have enough WR talent to at least theoretically (the other part of this equation depends on Lamar's development) really pick on another defense's weakest link, and that not be a bad option. Putting your worst option at CB on either Watkins, Hollywood, or Bateman is a HUGE disadvantage for the defense; there's no one to hide away, and that is massive.

Another thought; it seems like Duvernay will be hard pressed to find targets, which really sucks, but he's such a talented player with the ball in his hands that I hope we continue to find ways to get him involved and don't give up on him. I feel like a field that has Lamar, Hollywood, Dobbins, and Duvernay together should be illegal in 48 states. There just has to be more ways to make that work, and to scare the shit out of teams. Those are 4 homerun hitters; how many other teams can put on the field four homerun hitters?
    I have confidence that Duvernay will stay involved because
    A.) he's the primary returner
    B.) he's shown that he can do some damage when given snaps
    C.) Watkins injury history
    D.) he'll be primary backup WR by virtue of being active on game day, so he'd spell Watkins, Hollywood or Bateman

Quote Originally Posted by Julius486 View Post

Why do people fall in love with players? I understand we have people who we root for but this is the NFL I dont expect any player that is not proven to feel comfortable. Each year you have to prove yourself. Some players don't even get the opportunity Duvernay gets. Plus Duvernay has a contract worth millions. Granted I think Duvernay will at the least be the kickoff and punt returner this year and get in the rotation for the WRs. He is not the ideal route runner as other WRs the ravens have. But ravens have to get serious at WR. We need the best of the best and I'm for competition.

Both, I think Roman is going to move them around and keep defenses guessing. All of our WR's can play inside/outside now, but Bateman will probably line up at X 90% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by 757RavensFan View Post
    One of Hollywood's best catches was down the sideline on a crucial 3rd down late in the 4th versus the Cardinals. I was at that game and it was hot as hell!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I was at that game as well. Basically sealed the game.

6. Re: Hollywood or Watkins in the slot?

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I wonder if it's true, that it doesn't really match what we want to do.

It makes a shit-ton of sense to run more 2- & 3-TE sets when you have Andrews + Boyle + Hurst on the roster, and your WR corps is Marquise / Snead / Seth Roberts / Boykin / Chris Moore. But we've run very well out of 3-WR sets the last couple seasons – in fact if I understand what Football Outsiders writes, the whole league runs well out of 3-wide, due to lighter boxes. The Cards were second in rush DVOA in 2019, just behind us. Some of the was Skyler, but some of it was formation too. Kenyon Drake was over 5 ypc.

If Lamar hits outside shots to Watkins / Marquise / Bateman to loosen things up, I can see Dobbins running WILD from 3-WR sets.
    When people talk about 3 TE sets, how do they count Patrick Ricard and Ben Mason? It's not a 3 WR set. 2 TEs, 1 FB, 1 RB, 1 QB, 1 WR. 2 TEs, 2 FBs, 1 RB, 1 QB, No WR. The Ravens could do that, easily. It's been mentioned that Villanueva could be a TE. The Ravens seem to have an easier time of putting big blockers out there for 10 blockers + Lamar. And the Ravens could do empty set with 5 wrs if they wanted. The Ravens could do either thing, the speed lineup with wrs and rbs and Lamar and the size lineup with Villaneuva, Andrews, Boyle, Ricard, Mason, Edwards, Lamar.

Ravens are loaded for sure!

THE KEY will be protecting Lamar! Love the Cleveland pick with Bozeman at center and Zeitler at RG. IF Lamar has any kind of a pocket, we should see another 2019 MVP type year out of him.

I love the Bateman pick and LOVE the Wallace pick! All good, but as the O LINE GOES so goes the passing game!

Also think the new WR coaches are another KEY!

A LOT to look forward to!

With Watkins size he really should be playing outside but you can't have a WR who hears footsteps as a slot WR.

I am tired of watching him stop, drop and roll everytime a defender gets within two inches of him.

9. Re: Hollywood or Watkins in the slot?

Watkins. Hollywood is too small to be taking hits in the middle of the field. Utilize his speed on the outside to get open for deep passes.

Blog Entries

One thing about the Hollywood - Watkins - Bateman (or Wallace?) connection, where ever they're played, is that as of now the Ravens only have one pass-catching TE (Andrews). Unless Boyle is 100%, and Harbaugh wants his blocking skill on a regular basis, we may see more 3-WR sets and less 2-TE sets... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by simplesimon View Post
    Watkins. Hollywood is too small to be taking hits in the middle of the field. Utilize his speed on the outside to get open for deep passes.
    Plenty of small WR's embrace the role and plenty of teams want these type of WR in the middle of the field in space. Hollywood is built differently. It doesn't matter what we think Hollywood isn't willing to be that guy and get hit which ends the discussion before it even starts.

It's a shame everyone said he was injured he will be a different WR next year. I wasn't convinced. Heart isn't you just switch on and off with injuries. We need to look elsewhere for that slot WR underneath guy. Like others said he's purely an outside guy.
    Last edited by boller4president; 05-09-2021 at 01:33 PM.

Watching Tylan Wallace run routes in any camp...... I think it might be better than Bateman. Bateman looks like a better version of Miles Boykin... Hope he proves me wrong but I think Wallace is better prospect

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Way Down South in New Orleans