Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 96

Thread: Right tackle?

  1. #25

    Re: Right tackle?

    Quote Originally Posted by don raven View Post
    definition of insanity-doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. With the 27 pick the Ravens select a WR. Here we go again.
    They've gotten more aggressive in selecting WRs in the last 3 drafts. Matter of fact no team has selected more WRs than us in the last 3 years. What do you want? Our fanbase has complained for years about the lack of urgency around this position. When he was hired EDC was asked about this position and said we need to take more swings. Been doing that so far. Sooner or later some of these will pan out.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer





  2. #26

    Re: Right tackle?

    Quote Originally Posted by AmishlandRavenFan View Post
    For me, the biggest stunner of the evening last night was passing over Jenkins, not once, but twice. That said, maybe it shouldn’t have been.

    I had the pleasure of watching Filmstudy’s draft coverage last night, and Ken pointed-out - several times in the first hour - how many “T-Rex” lineman there are in this year’s draft. By Ken’s assessment, an Arm length of 33.5” is the “Mendoza line” for tackles.

    That observation lead me to this little nugget, which I found on another Ravens-centric site:

    “Since 2010, every OT Baltimore has drafted measured at least 6054 (6-foot-5 and 4/8 inches) with 34 inch arms or longer (Ramon Harewood’s 33.125 inch arms the lone exception.)”

    As Harbs comes from the Reid coaching tree, I found this similarity way more than coincidental:

    “According to Arrowhead Pride's Kent Swanson, the average arm length of a tackle for head coach Andy Reid is 34 1/4 inches. When comparing that to the top 20 tackles in this year's draft, only six meet or exceed that measurement.”

    Source: https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/podcas...ensive-tackles

    With that context, here are the measurements of some of the top prospects:

    Darrisaw
    6'4 3/4" / Arm length: 34 1/2 / height below threshold / drafted 23rd

    Leatherwood
    6’6 / Arm length: 33 7/8 / arms below threshold / drafted 17th

    Jenkins
    6’5 7/8” / Arm length 33 1/2 / arms below threshold / not drafted in the 1st

    Sewell
    6’4 / Arm length: 33 1/4 / below both thresholds / drafted 7th

    Slater
    6’4 / Arm length: 33 / below both thresholds / drafted 13th

    Vera-Tucker
    6’4 1/2” / Arm length 32 1/8 / below both thresholds / drafted 14th

    Let me also say this about Jenkins, and then I’ll move-on. While this angle didn’t seem to get a lot of traction pre-draft, I did take notice of comments such as these in a few of his draft profiles:

    “Some scouts voiced concerns about football character.” - Zierlein

    "I think he goes early [on Day 2]," said a national scout. "He's an odd dude and might quit on you, but has all the tangibles." - WalterFootball

    So my point is, perhaps the Ravens have their tackle “mold” and the guys available within reason - Darrisaw, who would have required a trade-up and Jenkins, who was passed-over - weren’t worth the draft capital.

    Then why in the he*# did they trade Brown if most of this was known beforehand?

    I heard someone say last night that the Ravens were probably betting on Leatherwood being available at 31, but that commentary wasn’t based upon any insider info. and was simply speculation.

    Others are pointing to the rumors about Villanueva, like its a done deal, but I am skeptical. The man has played LT his entire professional career. I know these guys are world class athletes, and that they can adapt, but I challenge you to go outside today and throw a pitch with your opposite hand. In fact, I want you to go through the motion of a full wind-up, as if pitching off of a mound, and throw a baseball with your opposite hand. Even the step back feels weird, doesn’t it? Remember the Michael Oher LT-RT switching debacle? It’s just not that easy to untrained and retrain muscle memory.

    That said, I just cannot bring myself to believe that the Ravens traded Brown with contingency plans A and B being Tyree Phillips and a developmental midround tackle from this year’s draft. As such, I am pinning my hopes on a reunion with Ricky Wagner. I’ve read in several places that he is contemplating retirement, but I am hoping that the familiarity of the Ravens and a chance at a ring will be enough to “bring him home” for a year or two, and I am hoping that there is a nod-nod, wink-wink deal already in place.

    If not, yikes.
    I'll repeat it again, but nobody is drafting RTs in the first round. It's not a premium position unless you have a left-handed qb. Never understood why there was such a meltdown on here over him. The reason people don't draft tackles with short arms early is because they all project as RTs in the NFL.

    You can get a decent LT prospect in the middle rounds and convert them to a RT. This is exactly what we did with OBJ when he tested so poorly and nobody thought he was agile enough to play LT.

    The Ravens likely never had a RT prospect on their board for the 1st round. Most teams dont.

    Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk





  3. #27

    Re: Right tackle?

    I don't think the Ravens can wait till the bottom of Rd. 3 when they're eligible to draft again to go for something as important as the RT position. The drop-off of talent available at this position will be substantial by then.They need to move into the second round.





  4. #28

    Re: Right tackle?

    Quote Originally Posted by TIGERBLOOD View Post
    I'll repeat it again, but nobody is drafting RTs in the first round. It's not a premium position unless you have a left-handed qb. Never understood why there was such a meltdown on here over him. The reason people don't draft tackles with short arms early is because they all project as RTs in the NFL.

    You can get a decent LT prospect in the middle rounds and convert them to a RT. This is exactly what we did with OBJ when he tested so poorly and nobody thought he was agile enough to play LT.

    The Ravens likely never had a RT prospect on their board for the 1st round. Most teams dont.

    Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    I think people treat every position on the line as equal. So if they feel its a gapping hole at RT then we should take the best RT available in the 1st round. Most people are casual fans so I don't knock them. But RT is not premium because most qbs are right handed and they can see pressure or defenders coming. As oppose to the left/blind side which can lead to injury if they get hit under pressure. You could easily get a starter at right tackle in mid late rounds. Because even the good college left tackles who can't play left tackle in the NFL can move to RT. Plus Lamar can easily escape pressure he can see coming to him.





  5. #29

    Re: Right tackle?

    Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    If what you say is accurate than why did the right side struggle so bad last year once Stanley went down?

    They were rotating the RT position every couple snaps during some games because the play was so bad.

    No you cannot trot any body out there. I do not see how RT is the least important position. Atleast with the guard positions the player has help on each side.

    There are still some guys they could get today or tomorrow. Here are just some of the names who could go in round 2-4 I would think

    Walker Little OT
    Jalen Mayfield OT
    Tevin Jenkins OT
    Dillion Radunz OT
    Landon Dickerson C
    Quinn Meinerz C
    Liam Eichenberg OT
    Creed Humprey C
    Josh Myers C
    Samuel cosmi OT
    Drew Dalman C
    Spencer Brown OT
    Brady Christensen OT
    Aaron Banks G
    Robert hainsey G
    Jackson Carmen OT
    James Hudson OT
    Dante Smith OT
    Wyatt Davis G
    Kendrick Green G/C
    Deonte Brown G
    Tommy Doyle OT
    Cole Van Lanen OT
    There has to be a pro bowler or all pro in that list it’s just which guy right?





  6. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    UK 🇬🇧
    Posts
    14,318
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Right tackle?

    I do think that there is more to the BPA philosophy than the Ravens let on. They have only ever drafted 1 guard and no centers in the 1st. Apart from Grubbs, all of their other great linemen that didn't play LT were drafted after the 1st rd.

    They did draft Oher who was a right tackle to begin with because they had Gaither at the time. I don't think we will ever know for sure if they drafted Oher as a LT or a RT.

    I think they put a value on certain positions and rank those guys higher even though they may not necessarily be a better player. They probably have Oweh rated higher than Jenkins for example just because of the positions they both play. But you could argue that Jenkins was better as a pure football player than Oweh and possibly Bateman (debatable). Jenkins is either a guard or a RT, where as Oweh could be a premium edge rusher.





  7. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    47,820
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Right tackle?

    I think they threw BPA out and said we are gonna pick our highest rated WR and DE/L with first two picks.
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!





  8. #32

    Re: Right tackle?

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I do think that there is more to the BPA philosophy than the Ravens let on. They have only ever drafted 1 guard and no centers in the 1st. Apart from Grubbs, all of their other great linemen that didn't play LT were drafted after the 1st rd.

    They did draft Oher who was a right tackle to begin with because they had Gaither at the time. I don't think we will ever know for sure if they drafted Oher as a LT or a RT.

    I think they put a value on certain positions and rank those guys higher even though they may not necessarily be a better player. They probably have Oweh rated higher than Jenkins for example just because of the positions they both play. But you could argue that Jenkins was better as a pure football player than Oweh and possibly Bateman (debatable). Jenkins is either a guard or a RT, where as Oweh could be a premium edge rusher.
    Of course its more to the system and some tweaks after that. I would prioritize my position of needs first then pick BPA from that group. So if WR and Edge was prioritize over RT in the 1st round they wasn't going to pick a RT regardless of who was there. Maybe last year the had skill player a high priority so they took Dobbins. The system is not black and white like most people think or been led on to think. But you can get an idea of players they just don't draft early on.





  9. Re: Right tackle?

    There are still a few interesting Tackles the Ravens could add - Walker Little, Stone Forsyth, Jaylon Moore, D'Ante Smith, maybe Spencer Brown.
    Boykin, Miles....the tiger in tall grass





  10. #34

    Re: Right tackle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I think they threw BPA out and said we are gonna pick our highest rated WR and DE/L with first two picks.
    BPA is never straight BPA. They value every position differently and they always factor in need.

    Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk





  11. Re: Right tackle?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    Spencer Brown

    Dates: 03/22/21
    Hand: 10 3/8 Arm: 34 3/4
    Wingspan: 82 5/8

    Height: 6082
    Weight: 311
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.94
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.83
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.69
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 29
    Vertical Jump: 31 1/2
    Broad Jump: 09'09"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.40
    3-Cone Drill: 6.96

    Height 6082 - exceeds
    Arms 34 3/4 - exceeds

    I've talked about him a lot.

    10/10 RAS at OT, OG, C, and DT.

    Versatile, was TE/DE, basketball and baseball pitcher, which also makes him somewhat raw at OL.

    Top athlete, with crazy numbers like a 6.96 3 cone at 311 pounds. And, could be a total beast blocking TE, a swing tackle, a right tackle. 10/10 athleticism.

    It's like the offenses version of Oweh. 10/10 RAS in a number of positions, both of them, kind of crazy never seen before numbers.

    The other argument is Center before Tackle, and then you might take Meinerz.
    He was THE developmental tackle discussed on Filmstudy’s draft coverage last night. I believe a few of the “guests” felt he could be a starter by the end of year 1...year 2 at the latest. I think we’d have to get into the second to have a chance though.





  12. Re: Right tackle?

    Quote Originally Posted by TIGERBLOOD View Post
    I'll repeat it again, but nobody is drafting RTs in the first round. It's not a premium position unless you have a left-handed qb. Never understood why there was such a meltdown on here over him. The reason people don't draft tackles with short arms early is because they all project as RTs in the NFL.

    You can get a decent LT prospect in the middle rounds and convert them to a RT. This is exactly what we did with OBJ when he tested so poorly and nobody thought he was agile enough to play LT.

    The Ravens likely never had a RT prospect on their board for the 1st round. Most teams dont.

    Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    That definitely makes sense. Well said.





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Link To Mobile Site