Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Welcome to Baltimore Rashod Bateman!

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Speaking of the Cowboys... I think that was a great move from them. Maybe they'd have lived up to their hype more since the turn of the century if Jerry made more of those Ozzie type moves over the years
    I'm curious to see what the plan is with both Parsons and Vander Esche. We know how they'll use Jaylon Smith but the other 2 really play the same position
    Last edited by GOTA; 04-30-2021 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman43 View Post
    Since we took receiver I would have rather taken Marshall. But I want Jenkins or edge. Our lines on both sides are either old(defense) or has so many questions

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Looking at the 2020 tape, I definitely wanted Marshall over Bateman. I really hope people are right and his average play in 2020 was because of Covid, and not just a drop in production.

Fingers crossed that he returns to form.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iceman43 View Post
    Since we took receiver I would have rather taken Marshall. But I want Jenkins or edge. Our lines on both sides are either old(defense) or has so many questions

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    I thought Marshall was the better fit but Bateman has the higher upside. We saw his potential 2 years ago. Marshall is more or a steady eddie kind of receiver.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
    Looking at the 2020 tape, I definitely wanted Marshall over Bateman. I really hope people are right and his average play in 2020 was because of Covid, and not just a drop in production.

Fingers crossed that he returns to form.
    Bateman is more of a volume type receiver who will catch more balls... I think Marshall is more of a big play guy or down field WR. We already kind of have that with Hollywood, so Batemam makes more sense to me. I think both will be good players.

Man, you gotta love this pick! In a normal WR draft he would've been taken in the top half of the round, but he fell to us at 27 in a top heavy class.

He's got the physical tools to have that #1 upside that we've never truly had. Plus, he's already got the polish to be fairly certain he will at least be a solid NFL WR for us.

Also, this upgrades a premium position of need.

I would've loved to move up for Smith, but I'm quite content with Bateman & Oweh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Bateman is more of a volume type receiver who will catch more balls... I think Marshall is more of a big play guy or down field WR. We already kind of have that with Hollywood, so Batemam makes more sense to me. I think both will be good players.
    That's not what I saw watching pretty much every LSU game. Marshall was the #3 WR behind Chase and Jefferson in 2019 and still had almost 700 yards receiving and 13 TDs. In 2020 with those guys gone he had 730 yards and 10 TDs in just 7 games. Marshall is a volume guy like Michael Thomas. He doesn't make the spectacular circus catches like those highlights you see of Bateman but when it's 3rd or red zone or some other time you need a catch then Marshall is your guy.

The other issue with Marshall is the medical issue. Something popped up on his medical recheck in Indy. I haven't seen what it is but it could have kept him off the Ravens board.

Marshall and Bateman are easy comparisons because they are both large and very fast receivers you expect to play in the outside at most likely the X. Bateman vs. any of the other guys left are different. They are mostly slot guys which is not what the Ravens seemed to be looking for. Bateman played a lot from the slot last year but he nearly as good there as he was on the outside. If you are going to draft an Elijah Moore you aren't looking for him to play from the same spot as a Bateman or a Marshall. Given the higher upside and the medical I can see why they would take Bateman over Marshall and not look at the smaller guys.

7. Re: Welcome to Baltimore Rashod Bateman!

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'm curious to see what the plan is with both Collins and Vander Esche. We know how they'll use Jaylon Smith but the other 2 really play the same position
    Collins? You mean Parsons.

8. Re: Welcome to Baltimore Rashod Bateman!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensblitzkrieg View Post
    Love this pick. Exactly what we needed. His contested catches are the best in the draft. Great hands and will dominate in the red zone. Kinda reminds me of Dez Bryant
    But he's 6'0 190. That just isn't big. Maybe I'd say that he has great technique in jump balls.

I just don't know about 6'0 190 = dominate in the red zone. I watched that highlight reel. He won some contested catches. But I wasn't seeing him sailing 2 feet over the head of some db. He made some great catches, and I liked YAC, breaking tackles and outrunning the secondary. I think it's possible that Lamar has a slightly easier time seeing the 6'5 players in the end zone when the Ravens are in the red zone and there are a lot of dbs back there than seeing the 6'0 players in the end zone.

More shortish players don't help with Big Red Zone Threat. I just don't see that as a solution, I don't see that size and the rest of his numbers being better than what Boykin should be, with his height weight and vert.

What Bateman might have, and it's hard to tell from highlights, is general football competence, the ability to do the normal wide receiver stuff well. Makes great catches, yes, very good YAC at times, there should be some TDs out of him where he breaks a tackle or 2 and then outruns the secondary, and he does a very good job with contested catches for a 6'0 guy, but, I'm thinking that they spent some time to determine whether he can do normal route running well, having reliable hands, things like that.

At this point the Ravens have Hollywood, Watkins, Duvernay, Boykin, and now Bateman. All 5 of those guys have merit, there are 3 first round draft choices there and 2 others were taken recently with pretty high draft picks. I personally don't see why the Ravens need so much at WR, but plenty were complaining. And adding Bateman certainly would improve the quality of the WR room, I'd think. He appears to be solid.

I generally prefer the big type of pass catcher, and the versatile weapony type (I like Toney), but there are certainly merits to reliable pass catchers who understand routes and can run them, can end up where they're supposed to be and catch the ball when it gets there, with added bonus of speed = yac = TDs and those great catches. There's improvement there.

OT - Oweh as a db on defense in the end zone. Downfield, end zone, offense and defense, Hail Marys. Just, in general, Oweh back in the end zone, instead of rushing, tall, fast, can jump. Have him near their big red zone threat, perhaps? the best tes aren't going to have a height, vert and 40 as good as Oweh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    Mel Kiper said the Packers were high on him, gives you basically no room for a trade down. The Ravens have been chasing an X for a while now, no need to get cute. We've been burned enough times at WR in the draft, enough is enough.

Bateman is close to 6'1, low 4.4 speed, nuanced 3 tier route runner, contested catch winner, outside/inside versatility, what more do you want? Just take the damn guy and stop dicking around at WR

Elijah is a 5'9 slot, Marshall is riskier with medical red flags, they made the right call
    This. If a player is available who can help you, you get him. Enough of this trading back for value bullshit.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    Bateman plays a way higher impact position that the ravens desperately need if they want to take the next step in the passing game. They also play a system that elevates tackle play, and also has a couple options available in free agency. The Jenkins love is nuts. Great prospect. And so is Bateman, at a higher impact position. It’s great
    Yeah, I don't get the Jenkins love either, especially in the first round. It's relatively easy to get a decent LT prospect in the mid rounds and move them to RT and have them be successful. People became obsessed with having to replace OBJ with an equal talent immediately but let's remember that we drafted OBJ as a RT, in the 3rd round.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I was BIG on Bateman off his 2019 film...I thought with projection he would be a top 15 pick. Dude just looked incredibly smooth out there running his routes and his ability to create separation with knowing how to set CB's up and his feet was way up there. Hoping the 2020 production was a result of him just continuing to struggle post COVID.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I was BIG on Bateman off his 2019 film...I thought with projection he would be a top 15 pick. Dude just looked incredibly smooth out there running his routes and his ability to create separation with knowing how to set CB's up and his feet was way up there. Hoping the 2020 production was a result of him just continuing to struggle post COVID.
    He has asthma, got Covid really bad and lost 10lbs because of it. He says it affected him and he lost stamina. Why not believe him at least until we have evidence to the contrary?

If he'd sat out everyone would love the pick (if he'd even made it to 27). I like the fact that he played, even if it might have hurt his draft stock. That tells me he's got some fight about him and that he's willing to put the team first even if it does give his critics more ammo.