Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: Stocks and Investing

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    I have a gaming rig, so I just had to download software. I did buy about 700 in drives to try chia as well.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    We brought on this guy a few years back (ended up getting fired for not being manageable, lol, and drinking on the job) that had an ethereum rig. He had a bunch of NVidia cards and was mining on a Linux box he built. I don't recall how much he said his mining power was but it was a a somewhat serious endeavor for him.

It sounded intriguing to me. That's something I probably would have dabbled in when I was younger. Probably takes a while to even recoup your investment.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    We brought on this guy a few years back (ended up getting fired for not being manageable, lol, and drinking on the job) that had an ethereum rig. He had a bunch of NVidia cards and was mining on a Linux box he built. I don't recall how much he said his mining power was but it was a a somewhat serious endeavor for him.

It sounded intriguing to me. That's something I probably would have dabbled in when I was younger. Probably takes a while to even recoup your investment.
    Oh for sure. My 5700xt can generate between 5-10 dollars a day depending on the day, so it's easy a three month payback based on when I had bought it. However, that same card on ebay is going for over $1000 now instead of the $450 I paid when I built the computer in 2019.

If you can get the new cards around msrp the window isn't terrible, but if you're paying scalper prices it'll take a little while. That's also with an existing machine outside the gpu. Even a cheap pc, if starting from scratch, you're looking at another 600 in parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Oh for sure. My 5700xt can generate between 5-10 dollars a day depending on the day, so it's easy a three month payback based on when I had bought it. However, that same card on ebay is going for over $1000 now instead of the $450 I paid when I built the computer in 2019.

If you can get the new cards around msrp the window isn't terrible, but if you're paying scalper prices it'll take a little while. That's also with an existing machine outside the gpu. Even a cheap pc, if starting from scratch, you're looking at another 600 in parts.

Do you need a split backplane box for those machines? What is the backplane/bus used when you have a bunch of cards in one rig?