Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Ravens Will Not Draft a WR With Pick 27

Quote Originally Posted by yellajacket20 View Post
    The main reason I can see them going against tradition and making a big jump is the uncertainty with this draft class. With so many unknowns caused by the inability to have prospects in-house and the shortened NCAA season, I can see them being willing to give up draft capital this year to get someone that have a lot more info or confidence in. In a similar vein, I can see them trading back and acquiring picks for next year when the scouting process and college season should be more like normal.
    Just because fans might think there is a lot of uncertainty (which there's always a lot of that) doesn't mean EDC and John Harbaugh think the same thing. They may love the class. They might think the depth is amazing (probably why they want more picks instead of less).

Re: Ravens Will Not Draft a WR With Pick 27

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of OZ View Post
    Just because fans might think there is a lot of uncertainty (which there's always a lot of that) doesn't mean EDC and John Harbaugh think the same thing. They may love the class. They might think the depth is amazing (probably why they want more picks instead of less).
    I would agree with that assessment if they did feel that way, not necessarily that the class is amazing, but rather a lot of uncertainty in grading this year after the COVID CFB season & no combine

Get more picks, get as many lotto tickets as possible. If they don't take Bateman/Elijah at #27 or there isn't a huge defensive slide I would very much so like to see them trade out of the 1st

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of OZ View Post
    So based on his prediction we are picking up two picks from somewhere. A Brown trade can add two picks easily. We'd have to trade back multiple times to add two picks. We could sacrifice capital next year to add some picks. Which one of these is more likely the case?
    He's not predicting how they get there but that would be part of it. It's based on EDC's throw-away comment about needing to draft around 20 players over the next couple years. JZ admitted he may be taking that too literally.

I started to wonder about trading back from 58 instead of 27 because I think the talent in the third round looks a whole lot like the talent in the third round.
    "That's what."
    — She

Agree with Tony's take. We've already made improvements in the passing game with the addition of Watkins, Zeitler and quality coaches.
    Edge has to be a priority in the 1st round but can definitely see them trading back. Hoping we can land a nice haul with someone looking to trade back into the 1st round.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

The elephant in the room is Orlando...

The draft strategy completely changes if that trade goes through, sounds like it very well could

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    I'm just not a big believer in making those big jumps and trading all that draft capital and proven players for an unproven college kid unless it's for a potential franchise QB to a team that desperately needs one.
    Hard to look at all the big contracts on the horizon for the Ravens and ignore how important those rookie contracts are going to be in keeping the team consistently competitive. Ray Lewis and Ed Reed were drafted right around where the Ravens are picking and Stefon Diggs was a 5th round pick. I do think the more picks you have the better your chances are in the long run of finding those special players as opposed risking it all in a select few players who have yet to prove their worth at the NFL level.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
    No team has drafted more wide receivers over the past 3 years than the Ravens. We've taken 6 in that time. What they all have in common is not one was considered a top prospect at the position. This year there are 3 of them. I would only absolutely make that trade for 1 of those 3. The others I'd have to really think about it. I'm not a big fan of trading up but WR and Edge rusher are such huge holes that I'd be very tempted. I've see plenty of other teams make aggressive move for players to fill holes and they haven't gotten burned. This year there is no edge rusher worth trading for but Jamarr Chase is a different story. Chances are he's gone by #8 anyway but I would have some sort of trade in place just in case he falls.

Blog Entries

The problem with the Ravens hoarding draft pick instead of moving up is we become a farm team for others to poach players once they figure it out. Contract up, they cut their teeth here, now they make more on the open market. Having a deep team is great, but an impact player now and then would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    The latest mock on The Athletic doesn't even have him going in the first round but has the Ravens taking the UCF safety, Richie Grant. PFF focus ranks Grant as the fourth best safety behind Moehrig, Molden and Johnson. Crazy year. Makes me think that there isn't one safety that rises above the rest. The last thing I want is the next Matt Elam.

I'm not even sure where all this talk about safety is coming from. Sure they could use depth. And didn't get any INTs last year from a safety.

But DeShon Elliott in his junior (final) year had six picks, three forced fumbles, nine passes defended and 50 solo tackles.
    This is the guy we need to replace with a first round pick?

Give me a nice-mid rounder. How about Andre Cisco?
    Clark had an INT.

With a 17 game regular season, we need three starting quality Safeties. There is no excuse not to try to have them. One of them should be a FS. We don't have one now. That is where the talk is coming from.

On a more friendly sounding note, I would prefer Andre Cisco (he may well go in the 2nd if he is progressing well from his ACL injury - I would move up in the 3rd to get him) to Moehrig in the 1st. Cisco is versatile, but he is primarily a ball hawking FS, which we desperately need. There are a couple of other FS candidates who might also be better value in the late 2nd to mid 3rd, than Moehrig in the 1st.

At least one draft report on Elliott labeled his last Texas year INTs as lucky. And Elliott has shown no ball skills at all in his first (third) year in the pros. He is very well suited for SS duty.
    Last edited by rhapsody; 04-22-2021 at 03:43 PM.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    The problem with the Ravens hoarding draft pick instead of moving up is we become a farm team for others to poach players once they figure it out. Contract up, they cut their teeth here, now they make more on the open market. Having a deep team is great, but an impact player now and then would be nice.
    I agree with this. As a general strategy I think the comp pick strategy and trying to increase your chances makes sense. But when it comes to prime talent at value positions, sometimes you need to trust your evaluation and push in the chips. Otherwise we end up with the players getting poached at the end of their rookie contract, or worse, the Zach Sielers of the world, who even if we spent just a low pick on, are a waste of our draft capital if we have to let them go.

On another note, I can't wait for the draft and see the new guys in purple. Let's go EDC, you got this!

Would a safety have helped the Ravens beat the Titans or the Bills in the playoffs? I don't think so. Would an edge have helped the win either of those games? They had Judon and Ngakoue plus an elite second, but still lost because of the bad passing game. Gotta fix the passing game..whether that is OL, TE or WR. But - they had a good OL when they lost to the Titans, so...hmmm...we'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    The Bills got an impact player in Stefon Diggs who was a 5th round pick. Acquired him for 1 first round pick (22) along with 4th,5th and 6th for Diggs and a 7th.
    I have a hard time imagining that any of the rookie wideouts in this draft would make a bigger impact and are worth more in terms of draft capital.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Sure there are rumors but only the Ravens know what theyre doing with Orlando. Seems almost impossible to make a "good" prediction without that info.