Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Ravens Will Not Draft a WR With Pick 27

Quote Originally Posted by FruitPunch View Post
    I agree with this. As a general strategy I think the comp pick strategy and trying to increase your chances makes sense. But when it comes to prime talent at value positions, sometimes you need to trust your evaluation and push in the chips. Otherwise we end up with the players getting poached at the end of their rookie contract, or worse, the Zach Sielers of the world, who even if we spent just a low pick on, are a waste of our draft capital if we have to let them go.

On another note, I can't wait for the draft and see the new guys in purple. Let's go EDC, you got this!
    Ozzie was not afraid to move up to get a promising prospect. Maxx Williams (highest rated TE in his draft) comes to mind. Injury ruined the outcome, but the try was justifiable. I doubt EDC will be timid about moving up sometime, either, if it looks like a good bet.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

2. Re: Ravens Will Not Draft a WR With Pick 27

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    Ozzie was not afraid to move up to get a promising prospect. Maxx Williams (highest rated TE in his draft) comes to mind. Injury ruined the outcome, but the try was justifiable. I doubt EDC will be timid about moving up sometime, either, if it looks like a good bet.
    And to me that's why you stack as many comp picks as possible. Not merely for selecting a volume of players but moreso giving you the flexibility to be as aggressive as possible without sacrificing things the next year. I'm completely for the way they try to stack comp picks, because I don't see them as necessarily selecting a volume of players but moreso putting themselves in position to be as aggressive as possible on draft day. The more picks you have, the more aggressive you can be without sacrifice.

Would y'all trade up if DeVonta falls out of the top 20?

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of OZ View Post
    And to me that's why you stack as many comp picks as possible. Not merely for selecting a volume of players but moreso giving you the flexibility to be as aggressive as possible without sacrificing things the next year. I'm completely for the way they try to stack comp picks, because I don't see them as necessarily selecting a volume of players but moreso putting themselves in position to be as aggressive as possible on draft day. The more picks you have, the more aggressive you can be without sacrifice.
    Absolutely. It also helps you get in the right spot in the draft. If there is a player or a group of players you really like, but 27 is too high to take them and you know they won't be around at 58, you can move up and down the draft board more easily with more picks.
    "Not bad for a running back."

Quote Originally Posted by fadetoj View Post
    Would y'all trade up if DeVonta falls out of the top 20?
    That won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by FruitPunch View Post
    I agree with this. As a general strategy I think the comp pick strategy and trying to increase your chances makes sense. But when it comes to prime talent at value positions, sometimes you need to trust your evaluation and push in the chips. Otherwise we end up with the players getting poached at the end of their rookie contract, or worse, the Zach Sielers of the world, who even if we spent just a low pick on, are a waste of our draft capital if we have to let them go.

On another note, I can't wait for the draft and see the new guys in purple. Let's go EDC, you got this!
    Yeah.

The problem isn't so much the poaching; the problem is the waste.

It's wasteful to spend draft capital to churn marginal players. For instance, how much different is Ben Powers from Ben Bredeson? So much different that it's worth spending another 4th or 5th round pick on another IOL to push one of those guys off the team? Too often it seems this strategy crowds out their own players, rather than giving them breathing room to develop. That's when those players (like Sielers) get poached. The Ravens become a boot camp, or a sieve, to develop players and then watch as they pass through the mesh to another team. The Ravens pay a draft price to make early evaluations. An advanced screening fee.

Sometimes a team's position on the competitive life cycle requires more bodies and more foundation. Other teams need filigree not foundation. Too often the Ravens are pouring concrete.

I'd prefer a different approach. Remain quiet in free agency. Accumulate Comp picks. Every draft, look to trade a 3rd-5th pick for a 2nd-4th pick in the following year. That approach requires biting a bullet one year. But after that one year, you have options. You put yourself in the position to draft for a foundation or to draft for filligree: to trade down for meat and potatoes, or to trade up for caviar.

The Ravens seem to love meat and potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I totally agree Tony... I wouldn't mind Bateman or Marshall at 27, but would not pick them over guys like Jenkins, Ojulari, Phillips, Paye, etc.
    Same... except I would throw the word abso-bleeping-lutely between the words “would” and “not”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I don't expect any of those guys to last to #27. Ojulari I would say has the best chance but honestly I expect every one of them to be gone by 27.

I'm looking at the decision being between Marshall, Bateman, Leatherwood, Oweh, Moehrig, Newsome, Mayfield, Creed. I do hope that someone unexpected like Barmore or Zaven Collins falls to make it more interesting.
    From your list, The choice won’t be easy. I would not be super happy with Marshall, Oweh, Newsome, but the rest are all kind of close to me( I also see the other two you list as better players as well).

Peach’s 4 are my hopeful 4 even above those two however.

Ravens Will Not Draft a WR With Pick 27

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    There is a report that Panthers are looking to trade down now that they got their QB. Many years ago we saw the Falcons trade from #27 to #6 with the Browns and take Julio Jones so as big a move as going from #27 to #8 is we've seen an even bigger jump from #27 in the recent past.

Would you trade up to #8? If you did, then who would it be for?

I would for Jamarr Chase. I'd try to include Orlando Brown as part of the package. I'm not sure who else who could fall to #8 that I'd make that trade for but it is interesting to think about
    27, 58 and Brown for Chase? Do you?
    27, 104 and Brown can’t be enough, at least I wouldn’t think so.
    27 Brown and next years 1st?
    Same but next year’s second is gain would likely not be enough.

Without Brown I’m out.
    Sewell, Pitts, Chase and Slater in order would be who I would have enough interest to call about trading.

Saw a fake trade idea floated.
    27, 58 and a 2022 second. For 13 for LAC. Pick was a falling Devonte Smith. Would be a tough decision as well.

Blog Entries

Tevin Jenkins please
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

They already have 9 picks. I dont think they need any more unless they trade for a pick next year. But if they not doing that, I think they will take two players in the first.