Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ravens Retired Numbers

We have never retired a jersey number. But the numbers 20, 75, and 52 have yet to be given to any other player.

So with the expansion of available numbers now announced, should the team officially retire those numbers? Any others that should be retired?

Some people say 19, but IMO a) Scott Mitchell already defiled that number, and b) John was never a Raven, so it doesn't seem odd to see another #19 in a Ravens uniform, any more than seeing a #19 in any other non-Colts uniform.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Re: Ravens Retired Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    We have never retired a jersey number. But the numbers 20, 75, and 52 have yet to be given to any other player.
    Yes they might as well retire 52 and 20 because they'll never give them to a young player because that's too much pressure.

For some reason 75 just doesn't seem as iconic to me, maybe because Tackles play surrounded by bodies and you just don't see their number as much, I don't know. Thinking about it that's probably a lot of pressure too.

Blog Entries

55 and 73 prolly, maybe?

I've seen some people on Twitter debating whether Hollywood should be allowed to wear 5 which was his college number. I guess the question is do we draw the line at HOF players or players of extreme importance to the franchise who may not be HOF? I'd probably say no, but I'm not hardline on it.
    Last edited by Bhcforlife; 04-22-2021 at 08:41 AM.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

52 & 20. Arguably the greatest ever on any team.

#52, #20, #55, #73, #75 and yes #5

I disagree on 5 definitely. We have a Ring of Honor, and Joe will be there. But he's not a Hall of Famer. Not even close. He holds every Ravens QB record, but Lamar will quite possibly break them all. I just don't see the number retiring.

To me, number retiring is almost like statue-outside-the-stadium. It's for the best of the best. At *least* a Hall of Famer. Someone like Brooks Robinson or Cal Ripken, where the thought of seeing an Orioles jersey with 8 or 5 but a different name on it just seems bizarre.

No doubt Ray and Ed fit that category. J.O. probably. I'd be okay with Sizz. Yanda is stretching where I'd draw the line.

Looking ahead, number 9 should be retired, and number 8 might well be also.
    "Chin up, chest out."

#52,#20,and#75. Ray and Ed because ....well Duh. #75 was our first draft pick, first HOF and just an all around great Raven. So yeah ..no one should wear #75.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    #52,#20,and#75. Ray and Ed because ....well Duh. #75 was our first draft pick, first HOF and just an all around great Raven. So yeah ..no one should wear #75.
    I agree with those three, but no other player at this time. If they won't be given out again, that's as good as being retired anyway. Like Hot wrote "statue-outside-the-stadium" worthy. Just put the others in the Ring-of-Fame... Bc

Retire HOF numbers.
    Re-issue Ring of Honor to 1st round picks (if it's their number) or high end free agents.

As long as Bisciotti is owner, I bet they don't give out #19. Mitchell got it but Johnny was still alive and signed off on the deal. He was not a man for whom it mattered, but it matters to old Colts fans, and therefore I doubt it's available.

I saw DeShon Elliott Tweeting about #4
    "That's what."
    — She

I'd draw the line at HOF'ers. Ring of Honor is good enough for everyone else, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    As long as Bisciotti is owner, I bet they don't give out #19. Mitchell got it but Johnny was still alive and signed off on the deal. He was not a man for whom it mattered, but it matters to old Colts fans, and therefore I doubt it's available.

I saw DeShon Elliott Tweeting about #4
    I'm an old Colts fan, and it doesn't bother me. They've honored John with a statue out front, plus the RoH. But I get it might bother other Colts fans.

It might be a little weird to see a QB with #19, but if we saw a WR wearing that number, would it even register for anyone?
    "Chin up, chest out."