Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Face it! Draft Jayson Oweh

Quote Originally Posted by QuothDaRaven View Post
    We have a better chance of coaching him up than most teams, Jaylon Ferguson not withstanding. Remember, he didn’t start playing football until he was 16 so he’s a little less experienced.

Everyone is concerned with the lack of production, but you draft based on potential as well as past production, and if someone unlocks the potential in this guy.... he’s got the tools to be a nightmare for opposing OLs for years.

Real question is whether lack of production reflects lack of effort/motivation (very worrisome), lack of technique (less worrisome), or lack of opportunity (least worrisome).

Daniel Jeremiah had this to say:

"He can collapse the pocket. You see him convert speed to power, which is huge, and he plays really, really hard. And then you add on top of that the character stuff is off the charts, so you feel very comfortable from that standpoint. He's not a finished product. He still needs to develop a plan as a rusher. But to me, I think the canvas you have to work with here is really good."

“Oweh is not just a pass rusher but an excellent run defender. He often barged into the backfield at Penn State to make tackles behind the line of scrimmage.

According to PFF: Highest run stop rate among edge defenders in 2020: Jayson Oweh 13%.”

22 years old, 6’5 252 lbs, freak.

Let’s do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't you mean Jaylon Ferguson, Tim Williams, Willie Henry, Zach Seiler, etc. notwithstanding?

It's not as if the Ravens have a spotless record molding unrefined pass rush talent into a quality starter, especially not in Wink's complex scheme. Just more food for thought.

Blog Entries

Re: Face it! Draft Jayson Oweh

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Question. Would anyone here ever post things they know will rile people up, just for kicks?
    Isn't that the whole point of having a board? How about Sack Daddy - the exact opposite of Oweh? stats galore but...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Isn't that the whole point of having a board? How about Sack Daddy - the exact opposite of Oweh? stats galore but...
    Nobody was arguing for drafting Ferguson in the first round though.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    He may have the mindset of a football player but he sure doesn’t have the stats of a football player. And yes, stats matter. When is the last time you heard about a pro bowl pass rusher get selected with 0 sacks.
    He had 5.5 sacks in 2019; 6.5 TFL and big ten honors in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    3rd rounder. I'd be thrilled with Oweh in the 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    Disagree about his floor. We are talking about a guy that is severely underdeveloped. If he doesn't get to coaching at the NFL level his floor is that of an athletic freak with no moves and poor play recognition. In Wink's defense no less.
    According to scouting reports I read, stat sacks are all that are missing.

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    On top of good play recognition and pass rush moves. He has played all of 20 college games, I think. Sky high ceiling no doubt but his floor is not high, we've seen these raw athletic freaks fail to up their game before. After trading back into the early to middle 2nd round, sure. At 27 I think they'll be better, more Day 1 ready players, even if not necessarily at the edge position.

Quote Originally Posted by Waywatcher View Post
    Don't you mean Jaylon Ferguson, Tim Williams, Willie Henry, Zach Seiler, etc. notwithstanding?

It's not as if the Ravens have a spotless record molding unrefined pass rush talent into a quality starter, especially not in Wink's complex scheme. Just more food for thought.
    Good point.

I guess I’m thinking of their defensive identity more than anything else. We’ve historically generated far more superstars on that side of the ball.

But yeah, if this guy were a slam dunk he wouldn’t be in the conversation for us.

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    Penn St edge Jayson Oweh is a hot name among scouts now, which led to this interesting NFL comparison: #Vikings edge Danielle Hunter. Why?
    — Both 6-foot-5, 250 or so.
    — Both limited production their last year in college (1.5 sacks for Hunter, 0 for Oweh)
    — Both projections

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 16, 2021

10. Re: Face it! Draft Jayson Oweh

I'm always a let's see how the board shapes up first. For instance I don't have Oweh in my top 50. So if it came down to him vs Paye, or Collins as an example, I have them rated too far ahead of him to even think about taking him before either of them at 27. I sure as hell would take him at 58 pending on how the board shapes up. Now some of the guys in my top 50 I can cross off for the Ravens because we are not taking a QB. I can cross off Najee Harris. So he might slip into a top 50 based on the positions the Ravens most likely will not take (QB, HB) in the draft unless it is late or UDFA so that creates around 5 spots for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    Nobody was arguing for drafting Ferguson in the first round though.
    the point still stands - polar opposite. Ferguson still has the all time record for sacks in college.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by QuothDaRaven View Post
    Penn St edge Jayson Oweh is a hot name among scouts now, which led to this interesting NFL comparison: #Vikings edge Danielle Hunter. Why?
    — Both 6-foot-5, 250 or so.
    — Both limited production their last year in college (1.5 sacks for Hunter, 0 for Oweh)
    — Both projections

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 16, 2021

I wonder why everyone brings up Danielle Hunter when discussing these raw athletic pass rushers rather than Taco Charlton, Jordan Willis, James Folston (Who? Exactly) etc.

We tend to forget the misses.