Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cancel culture/ liberalism. Starting to eat it’s own

Ok, I admit I am a conservative. But I do like the liberal music. Hey, I try to be open and accepting of all.
    I also like humor. The good kind, lethargic can make everyone laugh. Not just the ones that only mock trump.

So this past week, the Simpson’s did an episode portraying miserable morrissey (the depressed lead singer from the smiths). Apparently, morrissey didn’t like the cartoon character not being 100% accurate in resembling his appearance. So what does a good liberal do? He called the creative cast of the Simpson’s, racist. Interesting to watch the left, that calls everyone racist, start calling their own, racist

https://pagesix.com/2021/04/19/morri...his-portrayal/

Re: Cancel culture/ liberalism. Starting to eat it’s own

I don't think you fully grasp the subtlety at play here.

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    I don't think you fully grasp the subtlety at play here.
    Please explain it for the class

Morrissey has been accused of racism for the better part of the last decade. I don't think he's conservative due to his militant veganism, but liberals hate the guy.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Morrissey has been accused of racism for the better part of the last decade. I don't think he's conservative due to his militant veganism, but liberals hate the guy.
    It’s hard to say with him.

Admittedly out of the Simpsons loop for the last, um 20 years, that show would never -- I think never -- bite the liberal hand that feeds them.

Family Guy once did an episode where Quagmire rips Brian and rips him for his politics. What's interesting is that it wasn't strawmannirg.

To the best of my knowledge, the Simpsons only target conservative beliefs. Like other comedies, they might target liberal personalities -- call someone fat or make fun of their hair, or call them self-absorbed -- but not take a shot against, say, gun control, or same sex marriage. Religion is for hypocrites and saps; big business is bad. ¡Ay, caramba!

Upon second thought and to the OP's point, I think they once offered a gentle self-defense when the Wokesters came after Apu. They have since surrendered.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    Ok, I admit I am a conservative.
    I'll admit I was starting to wonder.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Woke left has always ate their own. Nothing new.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    I'll admit I was starting to wonder.

Interesting. What had you wondering?

I was a bit disappointed to see that Hank Azaria felt the need to apologize for voicing Apu this week on the Simpsons.

Like many here I kind of outgrew that show and haven't watched it for 2 decades at least.

I came to discover an Indian comedian made an entire movie called "The Problem with Apu" where Kal Penn was interviewed and basically called it racist etc..

When you look at the Simpsons and see that the lead character Homer is the epitome of fat, lazy, stupid, white American male I have to kind of scratch my head a little. There are many other ethnic stereotypes on the show like Groundskeeper Willie, McBain, Bleeding Gums Murphy, The Italian mobsters etc.. all stereotypes. Apu is at least an entrepreneur and despite his over the top accent (like Willies) we love him. He's generally not portrayed in a demeaning way other than the accent.

I think the sign any group has made it here in this country is when they too laugh at these things and I'm sure some, even many do and are not bothered in the slightest by Apu. We seem to be training people to be hypersensitive and that this hypersensitivity is a virtue. We are magnifying the voices of those people.

Anyway it will be the death of the Simpsons if they fiddle with all of their over the top caricatures.

As far as Homer is concerned part of why we like him is because he is an idiot and as ignorant as he can be some times his heart and humanity are ultimately in the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I was a bit disappointed to see that Hank Azaria felt the need to apologize for voicing Apu this week on the Simpsons.

Like many here I kind of outgrew that show and haven't watched it for 2 decades at least.

I came to discover an Indian comedian made an entire movie called "The Problem with Apu" where Kal Penn was interviewed and basically called it racist etc..

When you look at the Simpsons and see that the lead character Homer is the epitome of fat, lazy, stupid, white American male I have to kind of scratch my head a little. There are many other ethnic stereotypes on the show like Groundskeeper Willie, McBain, Bleeding Gums Murphy, The Italian mobsters etc.. all stereotypes. Apu is at least an entrepreneur and despite his over the top accent (like Willies) we love him. He's generally not portrayed in a demeaning way other than the accent.

I think the sign any group has made it here in this country is when they too laugh at these things and I'm sure some, even many do and are not bothered in the slightest by Apu. We seem to be training people to be hypersensitive and that this hypersensitivity is a virtue. We are magnifying the voices of those people.

Anyway it will be the death of the Simpsons if they fiddle with all of their over the top caricatures.

As far as Homer is concerned part of why we like him is because he is an idiot and as ignorant as he can be some times his heart and humanity are ultimately in the right place.
    You are not allowed to do comedy anymore that mocks anyone, unless you kick white men or Christians.

Everyone else needs to ask for forgiveness for making jokes about anyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    Interesting. What had you wondering?
    That was sarcasm. Didn't come through in text.