Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: Alejandro Villanueva is visiting the Ravens this week

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Agreed. I don't think Villanueva's seeing LT money again. It makes sense that the Ravens might be prepared to pay a little more for a high quality swing tackle this year given Ronnie's injury and the fact that Orlando's replacement will be a rookie.

If they have Villaneuva pencilled in as the starting RT it would be a sign that they dont think the Ravens are genuine contenders this year. He isn't that player any more.
    You mean LT, right? He'd be a perfectly acceptable RT, IMO. I mean he was starting at LT and graded out fine just a few months ago. He's better than Fluker and Philips who played RT for us last year.

Quote Originally Posted by ravens82 View Post
    You mean LT, right? He'd be a perfectly acceptable RT, IMO. I mean he was starting at LT and graded out fine just a few months ago. He's better than Fluker, and Philips who played RT for us last year.
    I meant RT but it would apply to either side really. (Surely Ronnie Stanley is the starting Left Tackle?)

He might have graded fine but he didn't look like a starting tackle anymore. He'd be a great back up and I hope the Ravens sign him but I want him to be Plan B on both sides.

I meant RT but it would apply to either side really. (Surely Ronnie Stanley is the starting Left Tackle?)

He might have graded fine but he didn't look like a starting tackle anymore. He'd be a great back up and I hope the Ravens sign him but I want him to be Plan B on both sides.
    If they draft an OT, I would have no problem with them penciling in Vill. at RT and forcing the rookie to clearly outperform him for the starting gig. I think that would be a tall task unless the OT is the Ravens top selection in the draft.

If they draft an OT, I would have no problem with them penciling in Vill. at RT and forcing the rookie to clearly outperform him for the starting gig. I think that would be a tall task unless the OT is the Ravens top selection in the draft.
    Where is Orlando in this hypothetical, non-contending season the two of you are discussing? He is still on the team and under contract, right? Is this assuming they have traded OBJr and drafted a replacement that isn't quite ready?

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    Where is Orlando in this hypothetical, non-contending season the two of you are discussing? He is still on the team and under contract, right? Is this assuming they have traded OBJr and drafted a replacement that isn't quite ready?
    I was assuming he'd be gone for the purposes of this conversation.

We probably wouldn't be talking about Villanueva starting anywhere if Stanley and Brown were both available and healthy.

I was assuming he'd be gone for the purposes of this conversation.

We probably wouldn't be talking about Villanueva starting anywhere if Stanley and Brown were both available and healthy.
    Look at Villanueva as a replacement for Fluker.

That's fair. It's usually what the Ravens do but sometimes they're too stubborn with it, like when they pointlessly let James Hurst start about 10 games ahead of Orlando at RT. (The thought of that still annoys me.)

That's fair. It's usually what the Ravens do but sometimes they're too stubborn with it, like when they pointlessly let James Hurst start about 10 games ahead of Orlando at RT. (The thought of that still annoys me.)
    I get that you were being a tad hyperbolic to make a point, but no need to twist the facts. Hurst started 6 games before Orlando was inserted. If I recall, he came into camp not in playing shape and then struggled with some of his assignments early. Skill wise he was better than Hurst, but he still had to earn his way onto the field. You could make the argument that developing him that way and teaching him the hard way about what he needed to do to be a professional is what has made him a great young tackle in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    I get that you were being a tad hyperbolic to make a point, but no need to twist the facts. Hurst started 6 games before Orlando was inserted. If I recall, he came into camp not in playing shape and then struggled with some of his assignments early. Skill wise he was better than Hurst, but he still had to earn his way onto the field. You could make the argument that developing him that way and teaching him the hard way about what he needed to do to be a professional is what has made him a great young tackle in this league.
    Not hyperbolic just forgetful.

Maybe what you say is true or maybe Harbaugh / Marty was overcautious. I just know that as soon as Orlando came in he was a better player by such a margin that it was hard to imagine that Hurst could ever have been ahead of him on merit. ( You could equally speculate that the lesson Orlando learned was that the Ravens didn't sufficiently value him and that's why he wants out now. Not saying that's true just that we don't know what he lesson he took from it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I think folks are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist by putting a guy where he's never played. but what do I know...
    Well, he’s basically interviewing for a job here, for a reason? Now it may just be both sides comparing notes in case a Stanley is worse off than we thought, because we actually have cap space compared to many teams, so that’s definitely a conversation worth having before either side makes a decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Look at Villanueva as a replacement for Fluker.
    I don’t believe Villanueva sees himself that way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Re: Alejandro Villanueva is visiting the Ravens this week

You mean LT, right? He'd be a perfectly acceptable RT, IMO. I mean he was starting at LT and graded out fine just a few months ago. He's better than Fluker and Philips who played RT for us last year.
    All that sounds exactly right.

Villanueva has had a very solid PFF every year since his rookie year. He was a 74.6 last year.

Aren't we all pretty much at least somewhat happy about Zeitler? Zeitler was a 65.9 last year.

Villanueva could be the starter at LT or RT or somewhere else.