Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: What if Ozzie didn't get a busy signal?

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    Can someone explain to me the busy signal scenario? I'm not familiar with it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
    In the 2003 draft, the Ravens had a verbal trade agreement to get the Minnesota Vikings #7 pick in exchange for the Ravens # 10 pick and some other compensation. The Ravens had agreed with Minnesota on the trade during Minnesota's 15 minute draft window, and needed to call the commissioner's office to make the trade official. The Ravens would have drafted Byron Leftwich. When Ozzie called the commissioner, he got a busy signal. So, the trade never went through.

But Minnesota thought it did, and let their draft time expire expecting Baltimore to come to the podium with the #7 pick. This led to confused looks from everyone at ESPN, the crowd and the Minnesota draft team. After a few minutes, someone does run to the podium, but it's Jacksonville. Since Minnesota's time expired, Jacksonville (who had the #8 pick) was able to move up and draft next. They selected Leftwich. Now, the Ravens had no incentive to trade with Minnesota. It's pure chaos on stage and in Minnesota's draft room.

Then Carolina seized the opportunity (they had the #9 pick), and drafted Jordan Gross before Minnesota knew what happened. The Vikings finally woke up and drafted Kevin Williams. That led to the Ravens taking their consolation prize: Terrell Suggs at #10. It was the craziest draft moment I've ever seen.

Minnesota was bitter about the trade for a long time. They still might be now. There were rumors that Ozzie and the Ravens screwed over the Vikings on purpose, or that the Ravens got cold feet at the end.
    Last edited by InigoMontoya; 04-19-2021 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
    In the 2003 draft, the Ravens had a verbal trade agreement to get the Minnesota Vikings #7 pick in exchange for the Ravens # 10 pick and some other compensation. The Ravens had agreed with Minnesota on the trade during Minnesota's 15 minute draft window, and needed to call the commissioner's office to make the trade official. The Ravens would have drafted Byron Leftwich. When Ozzie called the commissioner, he got a busy signal. So, the trade never went through.

But Minnesota thought it did, and let their draft time expire expecting Baltimore to come to the podium with the #7 pick. This led to confused looks from everyone at ESPN, the crowd and the Minnesota draft team. After a few minutes, someone does run to the podium, but it's Jacksonville. Since Minnesota's time expired, Jacksonville (who had the #8 pick) was able to move up and draft next. They selected Leftwich. Now, the Ravens had no incentive to trade with Minnesota. It's pure chaos on stage and in Minnesota's draft room.

Then Carolina seized the opportunity (they had the #9 pick), and drafted Jordan Gross before Minnesota knew what happened. The Vikings finally woke up and drafted Kevin Williams. That led to the Ravens taking their consolation prize: Terrell Suggs at #10. It was the craziest draft moment I've ever seen.

Minnesota was bitter about the trade for a long time. They still might be now. There were rumors that Ozzie and the Ravens screwed over the Vikings on purpose, or that the Ravens got cold feet at the end.
    That's crazy. Didn't the Bears do something like tgst to us?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    That's crazy. Didn't the Bears do something like that to us?
    NFL Draft 2011: Bears Screw Up Ravens Trade And Baltimore Wants The Pick :

https://www.sbnation.com/2011-nfl-dr...-ravens-trade-

... Bc