Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Grade the Ravens off-season so far

I appreciate the thread. Talking about the possibility of Houston and the trials of D. Watson was getting old.

My grade hasn't changed though - C+, though it may look different when more work is in.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Hey, it's cool. I am not trying to be a dick...
    Actually... lol

It's a discussion board right? I get it, you think it's a stupid topic. But that doesn't mean it isn't a worthwhile topic to others. I know I'm not the only one thinking we've have huge work ahead and worry that we're not being proactive enough.

Blog Entries

check these charts to see how Ravens have compared to the rest of the guys...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

So basically Cleveland sucks at drafting players.

Cool charts.

How can you grade an offseason before the draft?

How can you grade a draft without seeing the rookies play? How far down the rabbit hole do you go?Do you have to wait until after the season?

Now is probably the purest grade of an offseason because it's something you can actually grade because most of these players have track records and are known quantities. The draft is such a wildcard and really should be graded separately because regardless of what anyone thinks even the so called experts noone knows how these rookies will do until they play in the NFL.

Cool charts for sure.
    Cleveland consistently below the rest of the league.
    Baltimore consistently above, except for the 2nd round dip.
    "Find #20 on every play"

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan55 View Post
    Actually... lol

It's a discussion board right? I get it, you think it's a stupid topic. But that doesn't mean it isn't a worthwhile topic to others. I know I'm not the only one thinking we've have huge work ahead and worry that we're not being proactive enough.
    Seriously, it's not a stupid topic. But I think it's premature to throw a flag on the offseason. As Silver said, who exactly did they let slip through their grasp at a reasonable price. They took a couple swings at WRs and signed their third choice, with the draft and other options still out there. I don't want to see them overspend or overreach in the name of being proactive.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    How can you grade a draft without seeing the rookies play? How far down the rabbit hole do you go?Do you have to wait until after the season?
    I will say for the seventh time now, with the draft you actually know the players they chose. Right now we don't know who they are choosing to replace 14 players. Am I really going down the rabbit hole by saying I'll wait until I see the actual decisions they make...the players they bring in?

I get the feeling this is just a chance to exercise some of your anxieties that they "aren't doing enough"...or "don't want to get better."
    "That's what."
    — She

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan55 View Post
    So basically Cleveland sucks at drafting players.

Cool charts.
    At least they did in the past. With Cleveland changing their front office and coaches every other year you can’t look at the past to determine what they’ll do now. It’s nit the same people. That sucky-ness doesn’t automatically continue because they put on the Browns colors. The guys running the Browns now seem to be a hell of a lot better than the guys who picked the players on that chart.

Blog Entries

That's all fair. I do think you can judge those two free agency signings, and if you want to say those are the two "big moves" and the rest is window dressing, so grade them on that, "so far," I guess that's fair, but I tend to think about it more broadly. If the question was, grade those two signings (instead of grade the offseason, so far, I wouldn't have objected).

If we're only looking at broad brush strokes, I do think you still have to include whatever they end up doing with one of the edge rushers.

I think the Zeitler signing, in isolation, was pretty much an A. I agree that Watkins probably won't amount to much, not much more than a cheaper Snead. I agree with you that better to go cheap on an off brand than do what the Giants did.

Funny thing about Watkins, do you want him to live down to your expectations, so he's one and done, without long term damage to the roster. Or do you want him to have a somewhat successful (or just, healthy) season, and risk them giving him a long term deal? Which do you root for?
    I always root for whatever is best for the team. If Watkins can kill it this year and make predictions look stupid I’ll be more than happy to pay for a nice big extension. I’ve been on this board and others for multiple decades now and I think I’ve proven that I am very opinionated but have no problem posting when I was wrong about those opinions.

Physically Watkins is the player I’m always screaming about getting. He’s got great size and more than enough speed. He looks exactly like like that large outside receiver we desperately need. He just hasn’t played that way. Watkins best years were with the Bills playing for Roman. If ever there was a chance to prove people like me wrong, this is it. I really hope he does.

So we'll be doing this every couple weeks then?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Maybe the thread title should have said "Rank the offseason based on current moves". I don't have a problem with ranking the offseason now but let's recognize that the draft and training camp basically make up 80% of the offseason. If I had to grade I would say a C so far.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer