Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Grade the Ravens off-season so far

I know, I know. It's early. Still, what do you think of the Ravens moves/strategy so far? Grade it from A to F.

I give it a C+. While I understand the stategy of saving compensatory picks, sometimes you have to do what's best for the club short term. Short term being that this year, Lamar's on his rookie deal. Why not do something different, be aggressive and go for it while you can?

Look at all the areas of weakness. Receivers, linebackers and edge being our weakest areas. Even the O-line is a question mark with both Stanley's recovery and Brown's iffy status. We could use a ball hawking safety too.

Blog Entries

Re: Grade the Ravens off-season so far

My grade hasn't changed since the the last time we had a thread like this

C

Right now this team is worse on paper than it was last year. That's not where you ever want to be in the offseason.

D

The team is clearly much worse on paper then what it was with Judon, Ngakoue, Snead and Ward gone.

We also lost Skura which honestly isn't a huge loss but something we need to account for. We have really only brought two guys in of note Watkins and Zeitler. Zeitler figures to be a big upgrade over Phillips who lets face it is really a tackle being forced to play guard.

Watkins figures to be anywhere from a slight to moderate upgrade over Snead. However, neither upgrades come anywhere close to accounting for us losing our two best pass rushers. We also lost Ward who showed promise in limited opportunities. We lost Skura and don't have a starting center right now.

How can you grade an offseason before the draft?
    "That's what."
    — She

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Shas, you wrote the words I was thinking too. The NFL Draft is only 2 weeks away, then May 3rd comes into play. The OP wrote "I know, I know. It's early." Yes it is and this thread is premature... Bc

Blog Entries

incomplete

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Not premature at all I said "so far". Basically in reference to what we lost and gained in free agency. Of course the draft will change things. But we all know you can't even grade a draft til a few years out.

I really started the thread to gauge how most Ravens fans are feeling about the team right at the moment.

I gotta tell you, Cleveland has me a little worried. I know it's the Browns but they've kicked ass so far. And they may still trade Beckham and get a haul.

How, or why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say there are at least 3 phases to the offseason (initial free-agency, draft, post draft signings & trades), at least with regard to player acquisition. The first phase is almost over, so yeah, a little pre-mature to grade, that doesn't usually stop anyone though.

Receiver room is a little better, at least on paper, Watkins has to stay healthy. And a little better is not really better enough. I don't really knock them too much, though. Other than the few elite receivers that either ended up not being truly available or too expensive there really wasn't much to get excited about. The draft and develop what we have is apparently all they can do.

As far as OL I like what was done. Skura was too erratic to be considered a loss, and Zeitler signing was very good. We have a lot of guys in the pipeline who need to keep improving, which is pretty standard for OL.

Judon, Ngakoue losses have not been addressed. That is very un-Raven like to go into the draft with what appears to be a definite need. Gotta ding them for that, it could change before draft but seems less and less likely.

If I would have graded them in last thread I would've said B or B-. Trending toward a C+ for pre-draft phase if they let it ride to draft day.
    Last edited by brown2RAVEN; 04-16-2021 at 08:19 AM.
    "Find #20 on every play"

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    How, or why?
    It's not like the regular season where the team's record halfway through matters, and there are actual performances that matter. Asking to grade the season part way through makes a lot more sense than grading offseason moves part way through the offseason before their performance is in the books.

Look at what they are doing at Edge rusher. They let two guys go when they didn't match or top the contract offers. Was what they chose not to do there a smart decision? We don't know because we we don't know what they are choosing to do instead. How can I evaluate the decisions they've made at rosters spots like those occupied by Ward, Judon, and Ngakoue until I see how they elect to replace those players with, with experience levels, treadwear, cost, etc factored in?

At WR they let Snead and D. Bryant go. We know that Watkins has been added. There will almost assuredly be a rookie added. Will that be enough to say that was an upgrade over what they had?

If someone wants to argue they should have broken the piggy bank for Galloway instead of Watkins, okay, but I don't yet know how they will end up spending that money. What will we think if they sign AB? What if they still extend Andrews and Lamar this before the season starts? My feelings about the WR room depend on moves yet to be made.

On the o-line they grabbed Zeitler early. That seems like an upgrade over whomever played RG last year. But I'd also like to see how the depth chart plays out LG and OC, and what happens with OBj, if anything, before I am ready to grade the moves made on the offensive line.

Look, if you want to look at what they've done so far an slap a C or F or whatever on it, go right ahead, but I'm kinda of shrugging and thinking we still have to turn in that big paper we're working and then take the finals, so I'm not particularly focused on our grade right now.
    "That's what."
    — She

Blog Entries

How can you judge a draft before the players have a couple of seasons in the NFL?

Grades made before any results are always going to be heavily based on opinion and gut feeling. The name of the thread is grade the off-season so far and so far is before the draft.

Blog Entries

C+ from me

Given the cap situation (which wasn't terrible but wasn't great)... I think we done alright in free agency. I think Zeitler is a significant upgrade at RG than Powers was last season. There are still some moving pieces on the OL, but as it stands, both pass protection and run defense is already better on paper especially of Stanley can come back.

Watkins in my view is an upgrade over Snead. Watkins is bigger and better blocker and I think he suits our scheme a lot better than Snead did. You are getting Boyle back (hopefully)... so the offense is definitely better on paper in a two TE base offense.

On the defense you have to say that we have took a step back (again only on paper so far). Losing Judon and Yannick is significant (even though Judon definitely was overpaid and is not the greatest pass rusher in the world)... I think this can change if we manage to sign a Justin Houston and then draft another guy in rds 1-2. We should see progress in Harrison, Queen, and Madubike, so that may mitigate some of the damage of losing Judon and Yannick. We are also getting Tavon back although can we really count on his health?

There is still work to do, and providing EDC has a solid draft, I think the grade can go up to a B. I would like to bring in a veteran edge rusher (at the right price) but if not, we should double up on edge rushers as that is the biggest hole on the roster right now.