Thread: Mass shootings

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Mass shootings

[QUOTE=wickedsolo;2081932]Couple of things....

1) The way the US defines "Mass Shootings" is an inaccurate definition. A "Mass Shooting" should be defined as a violent act involving firearms where more than X-number of people are injured/killed/impacted. I don't know what that threshold number should be for the definition, but certainly more than 1 and I would even argue probably more than 5.

Both the FBI and Congress define "mass shooting". It must be a single incident, involve a firearm, and leave 3 people dead, it must be in a public place. The media does appear to label any incident involving multiple victims a mass shooting regardless of the number of victims who has actually died. A great example of this is the recent shooting of 3 people by a 12 year old girl at her school a few days ago, none of which died thankfully.

I also submit to you that the media doesnt report stabbings as mass shootings simply because the victims were not shot. As I said , the term mass shooting would indicate the use of a firearm. As for the fact a number of people may die as a result of shootings in any given city on any given night...they may not qualify as a mass shooting unless an individual incident involves multiple shootings/deaths by gunfire. If multiple people are killed by gunfire in a single incident i would bet it makes news in any city regardless of why the shooting took place.
    Last edited by FloridaBasedFan; 05-07-2021 at 03:29 PM.