Blog Entries

Re: Aaron Donald Accused of Assault

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    And don't forget to have a fall guy

- Chris Carter
    LOL, Donald is wealthy enough to afford one... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    Why would a DV incident be looked upon worse than a random fight with a stranger?

The stranger doesn't want to be near a dangerous football player, and yet was harmed by a dangerous football player.

In a DV case, the non football player should leave if they don't want to Assume The Risk of being hurt by a dangerous football player. Football players are generally tall heavy, quick, strong and explosive. They have sparq and RAS measurements to show how much damage they could do to normal people. And they're paid to be violent by the NFL. It's not touch football or flag football, its tackle. People who don't want to be potentially hurt by football players can not play football. Should people who don't want to be hurt by football players also be forced to avoid clubs, too, on the off chance that a football player might be there?

People who are married to or dating a football player can not do that if they want to avoid the risk of a football player. Ordinary Joe in bar can't avoid the dangerous football player.
    Because unless there have been multiple incidents, a random fight with a stranger can be more easily explained away as just that. It also leave the door open for multiple accounts of what actually happened and introduces the very real probability that the random person may have had ulterior motives. Domestic violence leans more to a pattern of abuse and purposely hurting people that you are supposed to care about. Neither one is good or better. But the random encounter is far easier to defend in the court of public opinion than the DV is. Not saying it's right, just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    LOL, Donald is wealthy enough to afford one... Bc
    I think it's likely the fall guy who actually jacked this man up. But if Aaron was there and had any contact with the guy, it makes way more sense to file the lawsuit against the rich athlete than his friend. Much more likely to at least get a settlement that way. Not to sound like a lot of us do when sexual assault related things come up, but why did he wait until 1pm the next day to file the police report? I guess the rest will continue to come out.

4. Re: Aaron Donald Accused of Assault

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    Depends John, punching someone CAN be a crime but location and intent play a huge role. For instance, if it's a stand your ground state and a person feel threatened and have no route of escape, they can resort to violence and possibly not face criminal charges. Likewise if a person is defending themselves from an attack initiated by the person they punch. Losing the fight doesn't mean you were not the aggressor. It all comes down to what state/jurisdiction it happened and what actions can be proven. Without video or eyewitness accounts proving that Donald punched this guy for no reason, I don't see how this has much traction. I saw on the updated story that the guy admits to throwing a liquor bottle but wasn't sure if anyone was hit...that might open him up to being charged with assault with a weapon based on WHEN he threw the bottle.
    Yeah, what you're saying has some merit but you're talking about exceptions. What we're talking about are things like "does Aaron Donald go to jail for this?" But I'm still right, more or less. You're pointing out, rightly, that there are situations where Donald can get away with this. Ordinary, he can't.

There is no PC side to this story. It has never been legal for football players to bust peoples face up in bars. This isn't some "poor Aaron Donald, how could he have known that assaulting someone wasn't 100% legal?"

This is much more cut and dried than the Watson thing. Except for the fact that, here, the facts aren't particularly clear. No one is trying to claim that a new set of dreamworld laws have been enacted.

5. Re: Aaron Donald Accused of Assault

Because unless there have been multiple incidents, a random fight with a stranger can be more easily explained away as just that. It also leave the door open for multiple accounts of what actually happened and introduces the very real probability that the random person may have had ulterior motives. Domestic violence leans more to a pattern of abuse and purposely hurting people that you are supposed to care about. Neither one is good or better. But the random encounter is far easier to defend in the court of public opinion than the DV is. Not saying it's right, just the way it is.
    The court of the MEDIA? The MEDIA are the ones who are telling us what the "public opinion" is, and the MEDIA is always lying. The MEDIA is a bunch of degenerate communists who hate Jesus. So we get worse outcomes because now the MEDIA has their finger in it?

I think you probably explained that pretty right. I remember when Shady McCoy and his entourage beat the crap out of some guy in a bar around the same time some sex thing happened, and the McCoy story went away and I don't remember what happened with the sex story, but whatever site I was on at the time, I was making the same story as I was here. Football players are dangerous, random guy in bar is innocent, girlfriend or wife is taking a risk being with such a dangerous person, but she benefits in ways such as money and status, so she takes the risk. It's time for the innocent victims of football players to sue the NFL itself and the team itself. None of these innocent victims benefit from getting beat up by football players, they're not made aware beforehand that there might be dangerous football players at a bar.

I don't get that "supposed to care about" part. It's not the NFL's business. It's illegal to beat up strangers, pattern or no, the stranger is not in a relationship with the football player, and NFL players beating up random strangers are the kind of people who should be locked in cages to protect the voters, the citizens. Things that happened behind closed doors, in relationships, are the kind of things that people who want safety are capable of avoiding by leaving.

(Again, you have a fairly decent mainstream take on this, so, you know I'm not criticizing you, as much as the NFL's vision of their role.)

Yeah, what you're saying has some merit but you're talking about exceptions. What we're talking about are things like "does Aaron Donald go to jail for this?" But I'm still right, more or less. You're pointing out, rightly, that there are situations where Donald can get away with this. Ordinary, he can't.

There is no PC side to this story. It has never been legal for football players to bust peoples face up in bars. This isn't some "poor Aaron Donald, how could he have known that assaulting someone wasn't 100% legal?"

This is much more cut and dried than the Watson thing. Except for the fact that, here, the facts aren't particularly clear. No one is trying to claim that a new set of dreamworld laws have been enacted.
    That's provided you already have proof, or believe that Aaron Donald actually assaulted this guy...that is still in question. An accusation or even filing charges does not make it true.

And it's only cut and dried IF/WHEN the facts become clear. On the surface, I agree with you 100%.
    A football player or anyone else for that matter, can't punch someone in the face.

Removing all the circumstances from the situation makes that pretty clear. But the crux of this whole thing are the circumstances surrounding and leading to the incident. That makes all the difference in the world. And in this country, there is always a PC/PR side to things...depending on how well your lawyer can make the case. There are people who believe that football players are naturally predisposed to violence and will instinctively believe that Aaron was being an asshole and assaulted this guy...just like there are people who believe that guys like the alleged victim are simply opportunists looking for a quick payday. Without definitive proof, those two sets of biases will be used by both lawyers in order to persuade the public and perhaps a judge to believe their clients' account of the story.

Good man Aaron! Show em how they get down in pissburgh y’all don’t play no games!

I can't help but recall the incident involving T. Sizzle at a 3 on 3 BBall tournament in Phoenix when he was accused of holding down a guy while his friend clubbed him with an iron bar. I remember it occurred right around this time of year, in the offseason, before draft and OTAs. Always the most "dangerous" time of year.

It was one year ago yesterday that Earl Thomas's wife put a gun to his head after finding him in bed with another woman.

And lest we forget, last year was the twentieth anniversary of Ray Lewis getting tangled up in a bar fight outside an Atlanta club in his off season, which left two other guys dead after he fled with some bad dudes he should not have been hanging with.
    "That's what."
    — She

Not so sure that's the case with Aaron. We don't even have any details yet and you guys are assuming he messed up and will cost himself millions? The guy and his lawyers are pressing charges against Donald, because whether he actually assaulted him or not, that makes the most sense. The serious legal question I have is this: If you start a fight, then proceed to lose and lose badly, does that entitle you to be compensated for legal and medical damages? Like I'm seriously having a hard time believing they are going to be able to prove that Aaron Donald initiated an altercation with this man and beat his ass unprovoked.
    I had a dude start a fight with me, break his hand punching me and then try to sue me for the broken hand.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Now that is funny ... Bc

If you're a Pro player (any sport) going to a late-night bar/pub where alcohol is (obviously) served, then you've got to protect yourself. Have an Uber or Lyft account OR better yet have a designated driver friend who will watch your back and try to quell any disturbance, removing you from harm's way. In todays litigious society, if you want to chance what Donald did, good luck to you... Bc
    Jamal Lewis used to go out in downtown Baltimore a LOT. Every, single time I saw him out, I saw him with a giant Man in a “wife beater”. They would clearly get in anywhere, anytime, no matter the dress code. Never saw a drink in the big dudes hands. Saw Jamal turn his back and walk away from situations where “the great Khali” looking dude deterred any confrontation multiple times. Always seemed brilliant to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

How exactly is DV worse than attacking a stranger?
    It is if the victim is a woman.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

You can't punch somebody for being an asshole.
    Well, if being an a-hole includes starting a fight to get a rich guy to hit you then . . .

That said, if you check my post it included a few qualifications.