Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Impending Labor Issue - Offseason Workouts

If we went with your idea of not working the players out until August... the NFL would lose massive amounts of money. It would destroy the product, and players wages would be decimated.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Re: Impending Labor Issue - Offseason Workouts

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I don't really get it. I know it's a long season made longer with 17th game but I still think I'd be at the facility. Proper equipment, trainers, nutrition and hydration... and you don't risk losing that salary if you hurt yourself
    Rwt, all good points, and in bold what you wrote is just like an insurance policy. If the players' Union is impeding that then shame on them. While under the guise of protecting their members, they're also putting their careers at risk. Not only will they not train as properly, and risk getting cut by their team, their contracts can be voided.

SMH... Bc

I'll be VERY interested to see if Denver actually goes thru w/not paying him. It's going to be a major "test case" for this. If DEN goes that way (they have the right to, but it's not certain they will opt to not pay), it could create a massive rift in the union between leadership saying "stay away" and individual guys saying "stay the F outta my pockets".

Quote Originally Posted by BillickFan View Post
    I'll be VERY interested to see if Denver actually goes thru w/not paying him. It's going to be a major "test case" for this. If DEN goes that way (they have the right to, but it's not certain they will opt to not pay), it could create a massive rift in the union between leadership saying "stay away" and individual guys saying "stay the F outta my pockets".
    If you are a 'star' you can get away with it - Suggs basketball injury a few years ago.

If you are not a 'star' you are gone so fast the door doesn't have the chance to hit you in the ass. Denver just go $10M added to their cap from what they are not going to pay him.

James is a bit of "different" case...I remember reading last year that Denver wanted out of that $10 million guaranteed salary and were really happy that he opted out as it allowed them to push off his salary until this coming year.

Well, they just got a get out of jail free card...I don't think they wanted James back at that salary anyway so he's likely gonna get his contract voided.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    If we went with your idea of not working the players out until August... the NFL would lose massive amounts of money. It would destroy the product, and players wages would be decimated.
    I am a old phart. I remember the pre-Super Bowl days, when anyone that got to 300 pounds was considered a fat slob - and they were. The big players were 270-280 and they weren't running 4.7 or 4.8 forties. Running backs weren't 240 or 250. The game was more 'human sized'. Today's game is freak sized.

Look at the measurables of the Baltimore Colts HOF players - in comparison to today they would all be considered too small, too slow, and too weak to excel at their positions today.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    James is a bit of "different" case...I remember reading last year that Denver wanted out of that $10 million guaranteed salary and were really happy that he opted out as it allowed them to push off his salary until this coming year.

Well, they just got a get out of jail free card...I don't think they wanted James back at that salary anyway so he's likely gonna get his contract voided.
    True. Lamar or Marlon could get hurt riding a bucking bronco at a rodeo.....and the team would find a way to have the "stop being a dumbass" chat, while still paying them. A bottom of the roster guy, w/idiotic behavior (looking at you Broderick Washington) could tweak a hammy at Planet Fitness and they might cut bait. It's good to be a star!

I don't really get it. I know it's a long season made longer with 17th game but I still think I'd be at the facility. Proper equipment, trainers, nutrition and hydration... and you don't risk losing that salary if you hurt yourself
    It’s because the unions job is to make life as miserable as possible for owners, not actually protect its players or make good decisions for them. They just oppose everything the owners want, and try to extort other things from them by using things like this as leverage. It’s all a game, and the perception that the NFLPA is “weak” just makes them do even more dumb shit to grab some headlines and “fight the power”.

Blog Entries

They are not going to pay him the $10M. This is the leverage the league has to get guys into camp. Hurt yourself and lose millions. If they fold on that they've lost their message. The bad part is, this report says he was working out at the team facility and the union told him to leave.

Ja’Wuan James, who reportedly was working out at the team facility and left at the recommendation of the NFLPA, learned that lesson the hard way.
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-jawuan-james/

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownP View Post
    It’s because the unions job is to make life as miserable as possible for owners, not actually protect its players or make good decisions for them. They just oppose everything the owners want, and try to extort other things from them by using things like this as leverage. It’s all a game, and the perception that the NFLPA is “weak” just makes them do even more dumb shit to grab some headlines and “fight the power”.
    This is the unions job in essence. Vilify the "greedy" capitalist owners and then blame them when the product declines and players wages go down because of their influence.

They are not going to pay him the $10M. This is the leverage the league has to get guys into camp. Hurt yourself and lose millions. If they fold on that they've lost their message. The bad part is, this report says he was working out at the team facility and the union told him to leave.

Would a player sue his union? Not sure if we have any atty's on the board who could look at the CBA & determine if a player would have standing in order to be able to file such a suit.

I'm sure the NFLPA will pick up the $10M [/sarcasm]