Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Impending Labor Issue - Offseason Workouts

Tack on a 17th game. What do y'all expect? Players to just voluntarily shrink their already shrinking off-season?

I get the hand-wringing but a little perspective is in order.
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Tampa players are citing safety, but is it really safer for guys to work out at individual gyms (Planet Hollywood, 24X7, LA fitness) than having them at the team facility with trainers and staff?
    Maybe true - right up until a player gets injured outside of the team facility. Team is not 'on the hook' for injuries that took place outside of team supervision.

Another year of the team using the excuse of no camp practices for the reason of not improving the passing game. This isn't just on the players.

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    Another year of the team using the excuse of no camp practices for the reason of not improving the passing game. This isn't just on the players.
    How can coaches control what the players do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Blog Entries

I never bought that argument either. The coaches still have a responsibility to develop every aspect of the team. Not having voluntary workouts isn’t an excuse anymore then COVID was an excuse last year. Team with rookie coaching staffs and a rookie QBs were able to have success. That makes Lamar’s regression a coaching issue for me. But, I’m not saying throw the baby out with the bath water. I’m merely saying that the onus is on them to improve. And it seems that Harbsugh is tracking, based on the hiring of Tee Martin and Keith Williams.

So while I agree that the players opting out of the voluntary workouts hurts Lamar/the passing game. The players opting out is *not* an excuse for the coaching staff failing to advance Lamar/the passing game’s development.

The COVID excuse is just something they put out there for public opinion.

I don't have any issue at all with guys not going to voluntary workouts, I don't think they should be pressured to show up by the coaches, nor pressured NOT to show up by other vets/NFLPA. I don't buy the old school (these players don't want to work or love football as much as the old school guys) arguments...that's a tired take.

Make sure players are aware of the risks...both positive (potentially less wear and tear on their bodies, and for those able to afford high quality individual trainers, probably better workouts) and the negative (potentially players less secure of their roster spots...this won't help them to skip...and conversely, if those less secure players show up and catch up mentally or pass their competition at their spots, it would help them secure spots of course).

The NFLPA has been pushing for little to no offseason work for years, I think considering they are adding that 17th game without much bargaining...I probably would take this position as well (pushing guys that don't have any monetary incentive to show up to not go).
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    I never bought that argument either. The coaches still have a responsibility to develop every aspect of the team. Not having voluntary workouts isn’t an excuse anymore then COVID was an excuse last year. Team with rookie coaching staffs and a rookie QBs were able to have success. That makes Lamar’s regression a coaching issue for me. But, I’m not saying throw the baby out with the bath water. I’m merely saying that the onus is on them to improve. And it seems that Harbsugh is tracking, based on the hiring of Tee Martin and Keith Williams.

So while I agree that the players opting out of the voluntary workouts hurts Lamar/the passing game. The players opting out is *not* an excuse for the coaching staff failing to advance Lamar/the passing game’s development.
    You can't place all the blame on the coaching staff. What are the players doing on their own time? Are the QBs watching film? Are they working on their mechanics enough? It is not just about working out and throwing to their wrs. If a QB comes back from the off season with poor mechanics that is on the QB.

Of course it isn't all on the coaching staff. This team has proven that they can put together gameplans and preparation when they couldn't even meet in person during the season. There's no reason to believe they can't find a way to evolve over an offseason even without meeting in person frequently.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch11 View Post
    You can't place all the blame on the coaching staff. What are the players doing on their own time? Are the QBs watching film? Are they working on their mechanics enough? It is not just about working out and throwing to their wrs. If a QB comes back from the off season with poor mechanics that is on the QB.
    You're right, and I don't place all the blame on the coaching staff. I thought I said as much in my previous post. I don't place all the blame on the coaches but they're not blameless either.

Part of Lamar's regression in the fundamentals of being a rhythm drop back passer are on him and some of it is on the coaching staff.
    Some of the regression of the passing game as whole is on Lamar and the receivers and some of it is on the coaching staff.

Back to the point though, opting out of the voluntary workouts hurts the development of the Lamar and the passing game BUT that shouldn't prevent the coaches for improving the passing game when they get their chance during mandatory sessions and training camp and during the season.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

Of course it isn't all on the coaching staff. This team has proven that they can put together gameplans and preparation when they couldn't even meet in person during the season. There's no reason to believe they can't find a way to evolve over an offseason even without meeting in person frequently.
    I agree overall.

But I wanted to expand on your bolded portion above.
    Looking at what happened last year in regard to their own identified areas of growth I would say that there is fair reason to doubt.
    I don't think the staff was able to evolve the offense like they wanted to last last season.
    Harbaugh and Roman both expressed the focus on attacking 1-on-1 coverage both deep and outside the numbers....but that didn't happen last year.
    And if you look at Lamar, his fundamentals regressed (even his off season QB coach Josh Harris has stated as much).

I am hopeful they can/will improve especially based on the addition of Tee Martin, but based on last year specifically in regards to passing deep/outside the numbers and Lamar's fundamentals I have hopeful but skeptical.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

The Broncos were one of the first teams to announce that the players would not attend voluntary workouts

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ntary-workout/

Players on the Broncos were the first team to release a statement through the NFL Players Association saying they would not attend voluntary offseason workouts. But plenty of players on the team were there at the facility when the offseason program started today.

Mike Klis of 9 News in Denver reports that starting quarterback Drew Lock and about 20 teammates were at the facility today.

Other Broncos players with workout bonuses in their contracts have said they will participate in voluntary workouts, and NFLPA leadership is fine with that.

For Lock, who is trying to prove himself as the Broncos’ franchise quarterback going forward, any opportunity to work on his game and get a rapport with the teammates who are there is going to be his highest priority.

Blog Entries

Notice to players. If this had happened at the team facility he would be owed his entire salary

Broncos' OT Ja'Wuan James suffered a season-ending torn Achilles working out today away from the team facility, per sources. James' $10 million salary for the upcoming season now is in jeopardy being that Denver no longer is obligated to pay him with him working out off site.

It's pretty much confirmed he just lost $10M

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/broncos...222017166.html
    Last edited by Ravenswintitle; 05-05-2021 at 07:16 AM.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!