Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Impending Labor Issue - Offseason Workouts

Lots of teams are now voting, w/NFLPA backing, to do a virtual only offseason. I heard De Smith talking about this on a podcast & he said that the leaders of the NFLPA are all veterans, and having an all virtual offseason impedes the progress of the young players - who would take those vets' jobs. We could see a fracturing on some teams as vets (like an Aaron Rodgers) who have highly drafted backups opt to participate in OTAs when the union is telling them to stay away. Rodgers won't wanna give Love those 1st team reps.

I'm not certain who the union reps are now for the Ravens (I think it might be Tucker, but I'm likely wrong) - but this could have an impact on some locker rooms around the league. Will be interesting to watch as we get closer to the draft & then the OTAs.

Blog Entries

Re: Impending Labor Issue - Offseason Workouts

I'm not sure how many players are going to actually stay away. The first thing is that this only is for any voluntary event. This isn't the whole offseason or any mandatory mini-camp or rookie mini-camp. Anything the players are contractually obligated to do they are still doing. This is strictly the extra stuff which is voluntary.

When it was announced that the Broncos players were all going to stay away several tweeted that no one had talked to them and they weren't sure if they were staying away. Veterans do get worried that a young player might take their job so they want to show that they are in shape and ready to go. I don't think there will be animosity towards a player who shows or doesn't. This isn't a labor dispute. The ones who do will be looking to impress and the ones who don't think they are established enough not to worry about it.

Since everyone is showing up to camp this will all blow over by then. It's going to be less disruptive than than those players who opted out last year. Someone like Michael Pierce who had a habit of showing up out of shape would be smart to attend every mini-camp he could get after opting out. If he doesn't and looks fatter than ever then he is exactly the kind of player who might ruin his career from this. For an Aaron Rodgers, it won't make a difference.

Blog Entries

Tampa players are citing safety, but is it really safer for guys to work out at individual gyms (Planet Hollywood, 24X7, LA fitness) than having them at the team facility with trainers and staff?

"We know that our union worked to negotiate safety protocols, but in light of the ongoing pandemic, we are choosing to take a stand with other players across the league and exercise our right to not participate in the voluntary offseason program. We had a fully virtual offseason last year and we held each other accountable to do the work ut took to win and we plan to do that again."

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Maybe one day the players will realize all the rules on limiting practice time hurts the product

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Maybe one day the players will realize all the rules on limiting practice time hurts the product
    The main argument is that it didn't hurt the product last year. JC Tretter who is the head of the player union said he felt better than he had in 5 years because of the limited work last Summer. Injuries were not up and no one was complaining about the level of play being worse. That's why they are pushing this. If they can get 2 years in a row I'm sure they'll try to make it permanent next year.

Covid this year is just an excuse. The NFL already showed they can practice and manage things and that was before a vaccine.

This is a nothing. These are "voluntary" because the CBA deems them such and yet teams use all kinds of sticks and carrots to incentivize attendance. Union solidarity is one thing but at the end of the day playing time, roster status, etc. are determined by the employer.

I do understand why the union wants to fight this battle as it's essentially uncompensated work for the players, but I'm still doubtful. Maybe the goal is to get more workout bonuses in player contracts.

I'm sure a lot of you know this, I didn't. Apparently Harbaugh encourages attendance by exempting those who participate from the conditioning test at the start of training camp.

Blog Entries

Tampa leading this charge is a little fishy to me.......
    They know Brady is going to hold his own high level private practice sessions no matter what
    If they can get the rest of the league opt out of these workouts they gain a competitive advantage (again) during the offseason

-Ravens need prepare Lamar and give him suggestions on how to manage a higher level of offseason workouts in case the players associations opts out. Guys like Brady and Russell have a QB pro that runs their whole offseason practice sessions.
    They coordinate travel, coordinate locations for workouts, food, lodging etc...they even help script the practice sessions.

-I hope the players association doesn't opt out. The NFL was the model for creative and adaptive thinking that helped people get back to work....i think they perfectly capable of managing a safe means to have these offseason workouts
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

Yup had same thought. Brady will have them at the HS field at 5:30 am

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I have a two fold answer. First it is voluntary. Period. No reason to report why you are not attending.

Second, using Covid to dodge work when the rest of us schmucks have to haul a lunch pail to work making far less than an entitled NFL player just looks fucking ridiculous.

Stick to it being voluntary and not come off like a bunch of spoiled assholes.

And if someone breaks his leg during one of Brady’s practices? No coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    This is a nothing. These are "voluntary" because the CBA deems them such and yet teams use all kinds of sticks and carrots to incentivize attendance. Union solidarity is one thing but at the end of the day playing time, roster status, etc. are determined by the employer.

I do understand why the union wants to fight this battle as it's essentially uncompensated work for the players, but I'm still doubtful. Maybe the goal is to get more workout bonuses in player contracts.

I'm sure a lot of you know this, I didn't. Apparently Harbaugh encourages attendance by exempting those who participate from the conditioning test at the start of training camp.
    LC_R, when I worked in Computer Mainframe Technology (1965 - 2009), I can't tell you how many classes I went to in order to upgrade my knowledge. Some were during working hours, paid for by the bank I worked for. Many others were not, so I could maintain and further my career. Those were on my time and my dime. IMO players are "compensated" by keeping in shape, practicing with their teams, and it may maintain and further their careers as well. Not everything we do in life requires direct compensation, sometimes you get a benefit of other sorts... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The main argument is that it didn't hurt the product last year. JC Tretter who is the head of the player union said he felt better than he had in 5 years because of the limited work last Summer. Injuries were not up and no one was complaining about the level of play being worse. That's why they are pushing this. If they can get 2 years in a row I'm sure they'll try to make it permanent next year.

Covid this year is just an excuse. The NFL already showed they can practice and manage things and that was before a vaccine.
    Nonsense. The level of play has gone down. Games in the early season are basically pre season games. Technique is sloppy. The players may not care because they work for the Golden goose of sports, but they are not as good as they could be