Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Justin Houston to visit Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Houston is a guy I've been posting about for weeks.

I don't like Clowney because of the injuries and his lack of sacks.

Olivea Vernon is another talented guy with a lot of injuries.

Melvin Ingram looks done. He was very slow last year.

Aldon Smith fell apart.

Ryan Kerrigan? Not at this point.

Houston is the best option by far. I think the Browns know it too. They've also been sniffing around pass rushers. Signing Houston helps us and hurts them. That's worth a little extra. I have no idea what the market price is or why he's now getting interest but I'd be aggressive.
    I agree with you on Clowney. Fuck no! As for Kerrigan, I'd give him a try.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    No interest in Melvin Ingram? He's my top option, though I can understand concern about his knee.
    He would be my option B

Kerrigan would be my cheap option B to Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Anyway I believe Houston has had good pressure rates in recent years. Iirc Dunlap was the one who ranked near the very bottom in pressure rate despite good sack production in Seattle last year. Wonder if that’s what people are thinking of.
    Hope you're right. In any case it's not bad to believe our options are good.

IF we can improve, we are a legit SB contender. One of our glaring weaknesses is pass rush. And we hesitate to improve that pass rush because we fear losing a future FOURTH round draft choice? WTF!
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

I doubt anybody of note will sign before 5/3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    IF we can improve, we are a legit SB contender. One of our glaring weaknesses is pass rush. And we hesitate to improve that pass rush because we fear losing a future FOURTH round draft choice? WTF!
    Not saying you're wrong, but there may be several unsigned FA 2 days after the draft (May 3rd). Some teams may want to wait and see if their draft went well to determine who/how much to spend on a FA. Hypothetical Example : some pass rusher, who was expected to go higher, falls into EDC's lap @ #27 OR (doubtfully, but this is hypothetical) he trades up to one that falls within his draft price-range. EDC may then turn his attention to another position on May 3rd. Yes, those two facrors woulds save the Ravens a 4th round Comp Pick. While it seems petty to you, perhaps EDC doesn't see it the way you do. JMO... Bc

I feel the same way Nj, unless some team decides it's desperate, then it may over-pay AND lose a Comp Pick. EDC doesn'rt seem to work that way... Bc

This. They're going to wait until after the comp pick date and sign 1 or 2 guys on cheap vet deals. Sign me up for Houston and maybe Schwartz if they are moving Orlando

I imagine during the Houston visit they might come to terms but have a handshake agreement that it won't be processed until after the 5/3 deadline.. that is unless Houston has his eye on other teams as well and just wants to do his due diligence before deciding

The less holes going into the draft the better

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Lol! That is true. I don't think players can trust any team in a league without 100% guaranteed contracts.
    Didn't we agree with Daryl Smith some time ago, like months before he actually signed?
    If there's trust on both sides, a gentleman agreement can be put in place.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    For sure, Houston is the best remaining option. After that, I'm only interested in Kerrigan for a two year deal with a chance to dump him after one.
    I said it in another thread, I would like us to sign them both. Houston might want a 2-3 years deal right now, but Kerrigan would probably go for a one year prove it deal, with the chance to cash in when cap goes up again.
    There's room for both and, as Xiao thinks as well, it will create less presure on the draftee(s) to perform out of the bat.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

The Ravens need to wine and dine this guy and sign him before he has a chance to go elsewhere. Our best free agent option by far, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by horus13 View Post
    I said it in another thread, I would like us to sign them both. Houston might want a 2-3 years deal right now, but Kerrigan would probably go for a one year prove it deal, with the chance to cash in when cap goes up again.
    There's room for both and, as Xiao thinks as well, it will create less presure on the draftee(s) to perform out of the bat.
    Technically you're replacing three guys in Ngokue, Judon and Ward, so Houston, Kerrigan and a draftee adds up.

However, I'm not sacrificing both comp picks to sign the two veterans now.

I'm willing to consider adding the second after the draft if he's still available and after I've seen what I did in the draft.

Also, however, I think they need to add an interior defensive lineman as they prepare for a future without B Will and C Campbell. There are no vacancies in that room as it stands now, so in my mind that's Ward's spot; I'm drafting one guy for the interior and one guy for the exterior and ideally adding Houston to rotate with the rookie, Bowser, Ferguson and McPhee.

Lastly, Houston and Kerrigan aren't coming cheap and I'd be concerned I'm giving away cap space I'll need for Andrews, Lamar, maybe Bozeman, etc.

This is why having comp picks and trading back from 27 to get more picks is so valuable. As I watch mock drafts play out, including our RSR board, I just don't see a player at 27 who I covet more than a few others who should be available for another ten picks. Ideally they end up with two twos and two threes and they can haul in an OL, EDGE, WR and iDL. I am not prioritizing a safety like others; I'm willing to wait until rounds 4-7 top bargain shop.
    "That's what."
    — She