Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Justin Houston to visit Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Personally I'd rather have Houston and lose the comp pick. I'm certainly not paying him 20% more just to keep a comp pick. If those extra picks are that essential then trade down for more picks. Plenty of teams have used that strategy in the past. There are no other guys as good as Houston on the market. Get the deal done and bring him in.
    Agreed Houston is the best remaining pass rusher in FA. He would take Yannicks role from last year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Agreed Houston is the best remaining pass rusher in FA. He would take Yannicks role from last year.
    If we lose Houston to the Browns because we're trying to preserve a comp then I'm really start question the priorities in building this roster. We a blitzing defense without pass rushers. Houston had 19 sacks 30 hits on the QB and 3 safeties in the past 2 years. This guy is all about getting pressure and someone has to do that on this defense. Get it done

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Personally I'd rather have Houston and lose the comp pick. I'm certainly not paying him 20% more .
    That's cool. He can accept the lesser money because it costs them the comp pick.

Judon got an $18MM signing bonus with $33MM guaranteed for his four year deal, which is really only a two year deal and a chance to make more in years three and four.

Houston is three years older. Can we assume he gets 20% less than Judon, to begin with?

Maybe that amounts to a guarantee of $26MM to sign this week. Or, he can take the offer of "20% more" on the guaranteed money (which is what I referred to, and the only thing that matters).

From a Ravens perspective, they are taking on about $1.5MM in additional cap burden over a four year deal. That seems like a small price to pay.

On the other hand, I must admit the last time they've hit on a fourth round pick was, who, Za'Darius Smith in '15? Matt Judon, ironically, was a 5th rounder.

I would be okay with offering Houston more to take another swing at landing one of this type of player.

It prolly doesn't come down to this issue as much as what other teams are offering, I admit.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Agreed. I’d rather sign him now and lose an extra 4th than risk him being signed by another team or go back to a Indy, which I believe is his preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I recall it being a PFF stat, but when I checked it is behind a paywall. https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/justin-houston/6222
    Thanks - PFF does not rank him very high (based on their free info)

Blog Entries

That's cool. He can accept the lesser money because it costs them the comp pick.

Judon got an $18MM signing bonus with $33MM guaranteed for his four year deal, which is really only a two year deal and a chance to make more in years three and four.

Houston is three years older. Can we assume he gets 20% less than Judon, to begin with?

Maybe that amounts to a guarantee of $26MM to sign this week. Or, he can take the offer of "20% more" on the guaranteed money (which is what I referred to, and the only thing that matters).

From a Ravens perspective, they are taking on about $1.5MM in additional cap burden over a four year deal. That seems like a small price to pay.

On the other hand, I must admit the last time they've hit on a fourth round pick was, who, Za'Darius Smith in '15? Matt Judon, ironically, was a 5th rounder.

I would be okay with offering Houston more to take another swing at landing one of this type of player.

It prolly doesn't come down to this issue as much as what other teams are offering, I admit.
    Houston is a guy I've been posting about for weeks.

I don't like Clowney because of the injuries and his lack of sacks.

Olivea Vernon is another talented guy with a lot of injuries.

Melvin Ingram looks done. He was very slow last year.

Aldon Smith fell apart.

Ryan Kerrigan? Not at this point.

Houston is the best option by far. I think the Browns know it too. They've also been sniffing around pass rushers. Signing Houston helps us and hurts them. That's worth a little extra. I have no idea what the market price is or why he's now getting interest but I'd be aggressive.

For sure, Houston is the best remaining option. After that, I'm only interested in Kerrigan for a two year deal with a chance to dump him after one.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by 52N19 View Post
    is it official? do we write off Ferguson of ever attaining "sack daddy" status?
    He’s always going to be a run-first guy. He’s a good edge setter but I don’t think he has the skillset to be a legit NFL pass rusher

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    Thanks - PFF does not rank him very high (based on their free info)
    Higher than Judon

For sure, Houston is the best remaining option. After that, I'm only interested in Kerrigan for a two year deal with a chance to dump him after one.
    No interest in Melvin Ingram? He's my top option, though I can understand concern about his knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Davesta View Post
    https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiec/stat...264053248?s=21

Sign any of them before may might cost us a 4th round comp. we in a tough spot, EDC love his comp picks. At the same time, no player is going to wait around for a promise from a franchise, especially waiting through the draft coming up.
    Some will wait . See one of our productive FA pickups years ago: Daryl Smith

Anyway I believe Houston has had good pressure rates in recent years. Iirc Dunlap was the one who ranked near the very bottom in pressure rate despite good sack production in Seattle last year. Wonder if that’s what people are thinking of.