Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Justin Houston to visit Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Can't a GM actually negotiate a contract, guaranteeing a player security, then just sign him on May 3rd? I don't know, maybe it's against the rules, but if it isn't then the problem goes away... Bc
    Yes but it wouldn’t be binding. Depends on trust and other offers I guess

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I must be reading the wrong sites bc I saw where he has been consistently at the top of the hurries list.
    What sites are you reading? I wasn't able to find hurries.

They've already shown that they want those comp picks. Remember cutting Bethel an all pro special teams player just to get a 4th round comp pick back?
    Cant imagine them sacrificing those picks at this time for any of the guys left on the market.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    What sites are you reading? I wasn't able to find hurries.
    I recall it being a PFF stat, but when I checked it is behind a paywall. https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/justin-houston/6222
    "That's what."
    — She

I mean, if I'm the Ravens, I'm telling him if you want to sign today, the offer is $X for Y years. If you sign on May 3, the offer is $X + 20% for Y years. To be more specific I'm bumping his signing bonus significantly if he agrees to wait, and that spreads out over the length of the deal (3 years?). That's nothing from a cap perspective and everything if it means an extra fourth round pick next year.

Why does he care if he signs the deal on April 15 v. May 3? Put yourself in his shoes. Would you really say no to an extra $1 million, $5 million, whatever it takes, in you checking account if it meant waiting 3 weeks to nail it down?

Sometimes as fans I think we have anxiety over problems that are not real.
    The only downfall of that scenario that I could see would be of he thinks we draft a pass rusher early or a few of them and they decide they dont need or want to sign Houston. That would be in the back of my mind as a player in that scenario

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Yes but it wouldn’t be binding. Depends on trust and other offers I guess
    OK, but if the team sees greener pastures, then would other FAs want to go to that team and sign a similar deal knowing that team doesn't keep it's word? I doubt it, but if the shoe is on the other foot then the player stands to gain and the team can't do anything about it. You said it "Depends on trust." I'd hope people's word still is held sacred or an I just too old?

... Bc

Surely both sides can 'secure' a contract if they come to a mutual understanding. Pre-contract via gentleman agreement that becomes live in the bank May 3rd

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Can't a GM actually negotiate a contract, guaranteeing a player security, then just sign him on May 3rd? I don't know, maybe it's against the rules, but if it isn't then the problem goes away... Bc
    It's not against the rules but until that player signs he can go elsewhere even on a handshake deal. We saw that earlier with Tyson Alualu. He had a an agreement with the Jags and then decided he'd rather stay with the Steelers. I'm sure they called him as soon as they heard he was agreeing to a deal with the Jags and made him their best pitch and offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensforce83 View Post
    The only downfall of that scenario that I could see would be of he thinks we draft a pass rusher early or a few of them and they decide they dont need or want to sign Houston. That would be in the back of my mind as a player in that scenario
    My assumption is that it is a handshake agreement.

They would never, ever burn a player and agent like that.

And realistically, they lost their top three pass rushers in Judon, Ngakoue and Ward. There is plenty of room for Houston + a high draft pick. The team has a history of treating older veterans very well.
    "That's what."
    — She

Blog Entries

Personally I'd rather have Houston and lose the comp pick. I'm certainly not paying him 20% more just to keep a comp pick. If those extra picks are that essential then trade down for more picks. Plenty of teams have used that strategy in the past. There are no other guys as good as Houston on the market. Get the deal done and bring him in.

My assumption is that it is a handshake agreement.

They would never, ever burn a player and agent like that.

And realistically, they lost their top three pass rushers in Judon, Ngakoue and Ward. There is plenty of room for Houston + a high draft pick. The team has a history of treating older veterans very well.
    Oh I agree, the Ravens would never do that to a player.

Unless they set it up for him to fail a physical 😬 (jk)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensforce83 View Post
    Oh I agree, the Ravens would never do that to a player.

Unless they set it up for him to fail a physical �� (jk)
    Lol! That is true. I don't think players can trust any team in a league without 100% guaranteed contracts.