Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2021222324 ... LastLast

Re: Justin Houston to visit Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    There's not been much mention of Olivier Vernon in this thread but I think I like him best of the veterans.

He's the youngest of the group and played more snaps than any of them last year which could indicate he has a little more left. (75% vs Houston's 59%, Kerrigan's 38% and Ingram's 69% in his last healthy season)

He's not a star but he's been a solid, reliable pro who could fill a glaring hole and I think the Ravens could afford him.
    Tore his achilles in January.

He's going to be a tough add given he won't get an offseason with a team. Who even knows when you get him back on the field.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Im alright paying a chunk on a 1 year deal, but if they can get a cheaper vet (Kerrigan) and double up I think it makes sense too.
    How does Kerrigan fit with McPhee on the roster? Would two old guys who need to have their snap counts carefully managed be too much at one position group, especially if we're looking at Ferguson filling the Ward role, which is another low snap count position?

I think that's putting a lot of onus on Bowser and the rookie(s) to play a lot, which is why I think I'd prefer a vet who can be more of a starter.

Tore his achilles in January.

He's going to be a tough add given he won't get an offseason with a team. Who even knows when you get him back on the field.
    I checked that a little while ago and apparently he's due to be healthy in time for the season and that would be normal for an achilles tear. They'd need to check it, but I like his upside best of the group.

I checked that a little while ago and apparently he's due to be healthy in time for the season and that would be normal for an achilles tear. They'd need to check it, but I like his upside best of the group.
    Sounds more like a week 2 signing then, to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Aldon Smith

*Ducks*

There's not been much mention of Olivier Vernon in this thread but I think I like him best of the veterans.

He's the youngest of the group and played more snaps than any of them last year which could indicate he has a little more left. (75% vs Houston's 59%, Kerrigan's 38% and Ingram's 69% in his last healthy season)

He's not a star but he's been a solid, reliable pro who could fill a glaring hole and I think the Ravens could afford him.
    All well and good if his achilles is healthy but I can’t imagine how that would be possible so quickly

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    All well and good if his achilles is healthy but I can’t imagine how that would be possible so quickly
    You're probably right. I was remembering wrong. Apparently it's about a 9 month recovery so he's more likely to sign a short term deal with someone during the season. Maybe that's Cleveland's plan after Clowney's inevitable injury.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I say give Ferg the chance to prove his worth. He has not shown anything as a pass rusher but has actually looked alright in run defense. If he hasn't progressed at all by September, we can look for someone else to fill that Ward role on the market.
    Not sure what you've seen that I haven't that would give you this opinion. Ferguson is about as bad as any NFL player I've seen at setting the edge. I've replaced 3 or 4 TV's I've broken throwing shit at them while watching him "crash down" to attempt to get pressure and having a sweep or reverse run to his side where he was supposed to be. Ferguson is a bum with a capital B. The sooner we move on from that "whiff" the better.

How does Kerrigan fit with McPhee on the roster? Would two old guys who need to have their snap counts carefully managed be too much at one position group, especially if we're looking at Ferguson filling the Ward role, which is another low snap count position?

I think that's putting a lot of onus on Bowser and the rookie(s) to play a lot, which is why I think I'd prefer a vet who can be more of a starter.
    I don't think McPhee and Kerrigan really impact one another.

Kerrigan would be more in the Yannick role. More of a situational pass rusher, whereas McPhee was playing early downs/run downs (as well as moving inside if Yannick came on).

I think snap counts will be juggled differently so it's nto a 1-for-1 trade off, but I'm trying to envision guys filling similar roles.

Kerrigan becomes a situational pass rusher and they draft a guy to be a more versatile piece that can drop in coverage, blitz inside, edge rush (ala Judon).
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

I don't think McPhee and Kerrigan really impact one another.

Kerrigan would be more in the Yannick role. More of a situational pass rusher, whereas McPhee was playing early downs/run downs (as well as moving inside if Yannick came on).

I think snap counts will be juggled differently so it's nto a 1-for-1 trade off, but I'm trying to envision guys filling similar roles.

Kerrigan becomes a situational pass rusher and they draft a guy to be a more versatile piece that can drop in coverage, blitz inside, edge rush (ala Judon).
    Kerrigan is not even a pass rusher at this state in his career. No where near it. Not sure how many redskins games you have watch over the past 2 seasons but he is not that dude anymore. If you need a situational pass rusher Houston is more likely your guy. He can step in at the yannick role. But Kerrigan will be more than likely playing the same role as Jaylen Ferguson. Set the edge type of player and contain.

Quote Originally Posted by RAVEN2FLY View Post
    Kerrigan is not even a pass rusher at this state in his career. No where near it. Not sure how many redskins games you have watch over the past 2 seasons but he is not that dude anymore. If you need a situational pass rusher Houston is more likely your guy. He can step in at the yannick role. But Kerrigan will be more than likely playing the same role as Jaylen Ferguson. Set the edge type of player and contain.
    Kerrigan's PRP was 4.8. Houston's was 5.3

I don't think Kerrigan is going to set the world on fire, but I also don't think Houston will either. You're looking for savvy vets that can fill a role.

As for his role, he was absolutely deployed by Washington as a situational pass rusher last year. There were weeks where he only played 4-5 rush snaps, but played 20+ pass rush snaps. In 425 snaps, 252 were pass rush snaps and 159 were run defense snaps.

To compare to Jaylon Ferguson he was 50-50 with 138 run snaps and 141 pass snaps.
    - Ray Lewis

Houston is the perfect fit IMO ... a good, well-rounded player who can stop the run, and he had 19 sacks in his 2 years with Indy.

He still has enough in the tank to start for us and play ~55-60% of the snaps and give us 5-10 sacks.

I say we just grab him for ~6m-8m and draft someone in rounds 1-3 to start re-building a young talent corps