Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Free talk Friday - 04.09.21

I'm packing to move tomorrow. Moving sucks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Congrats, GOTA. Before you know it you'll be saying CON-GRAD-ULATIONS! What a process indeed. My wife wouldn't even look at the FAFSA application, which was insane since we knew we weren't eligible for financial assistance. Still had to do it four times. Ours went to University of Massachusetts Amherst (180 miles from home) and was glad to be away as a young adult. We visited often "Homecoming", UMass football, Dean's Luncheon, etc. So I can tell you from experience you and your wife will love it. To see our little flower blossom into an educated, confident woman is quite a grand sight to behold. She even did a semester abroad in Siena, Italy. The wife says, "If she goes to Italy, we're going to Italy. We had a wonderful vacation taking in Sorrento, Florence, Rome, and Venice. Funny part is we only saw our daughter for one day out of 16. Enjoy the ride it goes faster than a rollercoaster... Bc
    Thanks Bc. My son is going to the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He wants to get away from the Northeast and Madison, WI is definitively that. My mother is from Appleton, WI so he does have family in the state even though he's never met them. I'm excited for him. He worked very hard to get there and loves the biological sciences.

The programs at UW-Madison in that area look amazing. I went to a small school and all of our sciences were in one building. Chemistry alone has a 6 story building with a brand new wing opening up in the near future. The scale of this is so much larger than anything I've ever been part of. This is going to be an awesome experience

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I'm packing to move tomorrow. Moving sucks.
    Uh oh. Mom kick you out?
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Thanks Bc. My son is going to the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He wants to get away from the Northeast and Madison, WI is definitively that. My mother is from Appleton, WI so he does have family in the state even though he's never met them. I'm excited for him. He worked very hard to get there and loves the biological sciences.

The programs at UW-Madison in that area look amazing. I went to a small school and all of our sciences were in one building. Chemistry alone has a 6 story building with a brand new wing opening up in the near future. The scale of this is so much larger than anything I've ever been part of. This is going to be an awesome experience
    My nephew worked in Madison for about five years at EPIC. Loved it there but was eventually given the freedom to move anywhere he wanted bc all his customers were scattered and he supported them remotely anyway. So he moved to Seattle.

I don't know all that much about UW. I went to grad school at OSU and there are 50% more students on campus in Columbus compared to Madison, and I can say that Columbus was overwhelmingly large. I suspect Wisc will be easier to navigate.
    "That's what."
    — She

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Uh oh. Mom kick you out?
    No. Haven’t been blessed with news of her death, I am sure she is out there ruining peoples lives somewhere. Haven’t seen her in close to 20 years.

No. Haven’t been blessed with news of her death, I am sure she is out there ruining peoples lives somewhere. Haven’t seen her in close to 20 years.
    All kidding aside ....I love your sarcasm Capt! Subtle, almost Back-Handed. Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Quote Originally Posted by ThankyouArt! View Post
    SO this is "Free talk Friday"? OK........I am sick of it! I am sick of all the hypocrisy in America......I am sick of Covid. It's been so long that I almost forget what life was before. Now there are commercials selling mask and commercials with people wearing mask. I will wear a mask because you are supposed to. But if you can smell someones fart or someones perfume it isn't stopping some virus. Yeah, I have received the vaccine but I don't like it. They say you can still get the virus......says that a virus that you have a 97.6 chance of survival will help lesson the chances of getting sick.....huh? They say maintain 6 feet social distance but pack you on a plane butts to nutts? I get it....... I am just sick of it. "Free talk Friday"?......OK, I tired of feeling that I am supposed to beg everyone I meet for forgiveness because I am the most vile creature on the planet because I am a white male. I am tired of the Government spending money like a sailor on weekend shore leave. "student loan forgiveness"? It's not forgiveness they are just transferring the debt to the tax payer. I am tired of the fact that if I say any of these things I am labeled a bigot or some kind of neanderthal or not "woke". I am tired of not being able to say that I am against a person who is biologically a male and wants to compete against females........I have four grand daughters! "Free talk Friday"? I am sick of the fact that common sense isn't so common anymore. The Government wants to make "common sense" gun laws and yet has no intention to make common sense criminal laws? Look I don't care who is in office.....I am just sick and tired of them not caring about the common man...........or woman.....my bad! SO what am I going to do on the "Free talk Friday"? I am going to sit here and figure out what the Ravens are going to do with their first pick in the draft......that's what! I wanna go to work all week.......do the right thing and I want to sit on Sunday and watch the damm game. I don't want to see someone who makes millions of dollars tell me how they are protesting in the name of the oppressed. Hypocrisy is everywhere and yet we are somehow not allowed to call it out. I am just sick and tired of it. So have a great "Free talk Friday" everyone!

edit: BTW the morning show on 105.7 sucks so bad I can't even listen.......
    You left out those obnoxious Joe Namath Medicare commercials

Yikes. Sorry to hear that. I hear so many stories like that.

My own wife has a whopper of a similar story. It is going to be an incredible documentary some day, we always say.

The short version is that her abusive father abandoned her, her mother, her two sisters, and a little brother, when she was four. She never really saw him ever again. Her mother passed when she was young and they were mostly raised, very poor in Baltimore city, by a grandmother.

Nearly 50 years later, through Ancestry.com, she discovered seven more siblings (and counting, we suspect) that she didn't know she had. Her little brother shares the same first name as her father, as does one of her more recently discovered brothers; these two, same-named "juniors" were born three months apart.

Since finding each other they have all become very close. We've vacationed together, even. It's really quite amazing.

Sometimes from a bad thing good things come.
    "That's what."
    — She

Blog Entries

Yikes. Sorry to hear that. I hear so many stories like that.

My own wife has a whopper of a similar story. It is going to be an incredible documentary some day, we always say.

The short version is that her abusive father abandoned her, her mother, her two sisters, and a little brother, when she was four. She never really saw him ever again. Her mother passed when she was young and they were mostly raised, very poor in Baltimore city, by a grandmother.

Nearly 50 years later, through Ancestry.com, she discovered seven more siblings (and counting, we suspect) that she didn't know she had. Her little brother shares the same first name as her father, as does one of her more recently discovered brothers; these two, same-named "juniors" were born three months apart.

Since finding each other they have all become very close. We've vacationed together, even. It's really quite amazing.

Sometimes from a bad thing good things come.
    Seriously, the woman is notorious. Over my life I went from Christian to militant atheist. Then I mellowed into more of a agnostic Buddhist mentality. (Stop laughing half of you ) Anyway who am I to disprove others faith? All that being said, my mother and her husband started a church in Curtis Bay, Baltimore. There they set up shop, eventually housing 20 men, taking all their government money, even too money from old women, mentally challenged people's estates via guardianship, I mean they had deals with the food bank. Had everyone fooled they were good people. Eventually they sold their ill gotten gains and took off to Africa.

Point is, they left a lot of people with nothing more than robbing others of not only their money, but their faith. Lowest of the lows. They were a branch of this Church, my mother's husband was one of the leaders right hand men. LINK TO STORY

Seriously, the woman is notorious. Over my life I went from Christian to militant atheist. Then I mellowed into more of a agnostic Buddhist mentality. (Stop laughing half of you ) Anyway who am I to disprove others faith? All that being said, my mother and her husband started a church in Curtis Bay, Baltimore. There they set up shop, eventually housing 20 men, taking all their government money, even too money from old women, mentally challenged people's estates via guardianship, I mean they had deals with the food bank. Had everyone fooled they were good people. Eventually they sold their ill gotten gains and took off to Africa.

Point is, they left a lot of people with nothing more than robbing others of not only their money, but their faith. Lowest of the lows. They were a branch of this Church, my mother's husband was one of the leaders right hand men. LINK TO STORY
    Wow. That's an awful story. Too many stories like this where organized religion becomes a corrupting force. People in positions of power and trust sometimes abuse that power, all too often. The founders knew this well enough to separate Church and State.

In the case of my wife's father, he was a lawyer who was caught cheating clients and spent a short time in jail. My wife recalls as a very young girl to deny she was related if anyone asked about her last name, then name she still carries today.

His story, and the trail of tears in his wake, is another type of example of someone who cons people and then takes advantage for his own selfish gains. Clients. Wives. Even children. He had some of his kids working for him as he tried running various businesses/schemes after being disbarred, promising to pay them, but never coming up with the money. He borrowed a large sum from a son, and never repaid it before taking off.

We think he was abused as a child, by Cuban parents who sent him away when they arrived in Miami. He grew up to be a narcissistic, lying, con man, with no conscious. There is a lot more to the story that I'll save for the documentary, but it really is a fascinating, onion-like story where you keep peeling back layers to reveal more craziness. The good news is my wife is healed from the experience and became a super person who has an incredibly strong sense of equality who sees goodness in all people.

Glad to see you've moved on, too, to become a good (albeit tragically sarcastic) human.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by ThankyouArt! View Post
    SO this is "Free talk Friday"? OK........I am sick of it! I am sick of all the hypocrisy in America......I am sick of Covid. It's been so long that I almost forget what life was before. Now there are commercials selling mask and commercials with people wearing mask. I will wear a mask because you are supposed to. But if you can smell someones fart or someones perfume it isn't stopping some virus. Yeah, I have received the vaccine but I don't like it. They say you can still get the virus......says that a virus that you have a 97.6 chance of survival will help lesson the chances of getting sick.....huh? They say maintain 6 feet social distance but pack you on a plane butts to nutts? I get it....... I am just sick of it. "Free talk Friday"?......OK, I tired of feeling that I am supposed to beg everyone I meet for forgiveness because I am the most vile creature on the planet because I am a white male. I am tired of the Government spending money like a sailor on weekend shore leave. "student loan forgiveness"? It's not forgiveness they are just transferring the debt to the tax payer. I am tired of the fact that if I say any of these things I am labeled a bigot or some kind of neanderthal or not "woke". I am tired of not being able to say that I am against a person who is biologically a male and wants to compete against females........I have four grand daughters! "Free talk Friday"? I am sick of the fact that common sense isn't so common anymore. The Government wants to make "common sense" gun laws and yet has no intention to make common sense criminal laws? Look I don't care who is in office.....I am just sick and tired of them not caring about the common man...........or woman.....my bad! SO what am I going to do on the "Free talk Friday"? I am going to sit here and figure out what the Ravens are going to do with their first pick in the draft......that's what! I wanna go to work all week.......do the right thing and I want to sit on Sunday and watch the damm game. I don't want to see someone who makes millions of dollars tell me how they are protesting in the name of the oppressed. Hypocrisy is everywhere and yet we are somehow not allowed to call it out. I am just sick and tired of it. So have a great "Free talk Friday" everyone!

edit: BTW the morning show on 105.7 sucks so bad I can't even listen.......
    Tell it like it is! God bless you!

Blog Entries

Wow. That's an awful story. Too many stories like this where organized religion becomes a corrupting force. People in positions of power and trust sometimes abuse that power, all too often. The founders knew this well enough to separate Church and State.

In the case of my wife's father, he was a lawyer who was caught cheating clients and spent a short time in jail. My wife recalls as a very young girl to deny she was related if anyone asked about her last name, then name she still carries today.

His story, and the trail of tears in his wake, is another type of example of someone who cons people and then takes advantage for his own selfish gains. Clients. Wives. Even children. He had some of his kids working for him as he tried running various businesses/schemes after being disbarred, promising to pay them, but never coming up with the money. He borrowed a large sum from a son, and never repaid it before taking off.

We think he was abused as a child, by Cuban parents who sent him away when they arrived in Miami. He grew up to be a narcissistic, lying, con man, with no conscious. There is a lot more to the story that I'll save for the documentary, but it really is a fascinating, onion-like story where you keep peeling back layers to reveal more craziness. The good news is my wife is healed from the experience and became a super person who has an incredibly strong sense of equality who sees goodness in all people.

Glad to see you've moved on, too, to become a good (albeit tragically sarcastic) human.
    Thanks!

The older I get the wiser I become. Something I have noticed to a great degree is usually the worst of people had some kind of childhood trauma or neglect that forever scars them. It warps them as most events shape who we are throughout our lives. It doesn't give them a free pass to inflict hurt on others by the day, year, and decade. A lot of people are the way they are because of survival, it is what they know and rare are we to let go of the things that hurt us.

I suppose it is a reason I believe people should do all in their power to protect their children, even from ourselves because those bad traits will inevitably trickle down to our kids and forever be a mark on their personality.

Anyway, back to packing!