Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: Anthony Levine resigned

I think I've seen 4 or 5 names in this thread that people are classing as the type of true free safety they would covet. So on 32 teams, that's how many folks can easily identify. The fact is, they are just rare and hard to find. And whether folks think so or not, #20 looms large in a discussion like this. He was a fucking unicorn. If you've been a Ravens fan for any length of time and actually watched him play, it's impossible to un-sear those images and memories and plays from your brain. If there is one out there that the Ravens can draft and develop, I'd love to have it happen.

But part of me does wonder if Wink's scheme makes the need for it less important...or is Wink's scheme simply built around the fact that we currently have elite corners so he tilts it that way?

I guess the thing I remember most about Ray and Ed was that it didn't seem to matter who the d-coordinator was or what the skills were of the players in their group, they were just so damn great that it didn't seem to matter. Unicorns man...

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Oh, and just for the record, Levine is 34 and Fort is 31.

Fort was on the field for about 2/3rds of all special teams snaps. The top five for that category were:

Jordan Richards 79%
    Chris Board 79%
    Malik Harrison 68%
    Anthony Levine 67%
    L.J. Fort 63%

Then there is a big drop off. Saying Fort and Levine are not comparable is not accurate. If Harrison continues to develop his ST snaps will decrease and Fort's LB snaps will decrease correspondingly.

Fort signed a $1M one-year deal with no signing bonus. They can cut him if they find a younger version of him with more future upside. This type of player will be ten years younger than Fort.

We'll see what Levine's signing bonus is. His last four contracts with the Ravens had the same $133,000 signing bonus. He is no more or less safe than Fort. Same guy.
    Fort provides legit depth at LB is not a ST only guy. I don't really know why you aren't getting the point I am trying to make here.

Levine impact is strictly on special teams at this point of his career and with our history of injuries at both DB and S I just don't want to give a roster spot to that type of player it honestly doesn't matter what I think though.

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post

Levine impact is strictly on special teams at this point of his career and with our history of injuries at both DB and S I just don't want to give a roster spot to that type of player .
    I agree with you. I think the Ravens might be overvaluing special teams a bit. Board and Justice are big special teams contributors who'll probablly make the roster. Jordan Richards is a career special teamer who's a bit younger and is signed for '21 too. That seems like enough to me.

Levine is no lock to make the team, nor is he a major piece at his age. He will not be a starting FS. The good thing is they will be able to have him as a depth option in the course of the summer. He could beat out some kids again. Or he may be the kind of guy like Webb who, if cut, might hang around in shape in case guys go down in September-October. Nearly everybody understands who Levine is – not a lot of ink to spill here.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Elliott and FS

Elliott has no interceptions, few passed defended, and has missed two years out of three. I like him a lot, but he is really suitable only for the SS role. Wink uses him well, including blitzing. But Earl Thomas blitzed successfully, too. We have great cornerbacks and a pass rush which generates hits and hurries – so, we need more positive play from a FS type. If you have a real FS, Peters at CB can gamble even more, successfully.

Ozzie and EDC have always been looking for a quality FS since Ed left. They know a good one’s value. They are hard to find and keep.

Marcus Huff (2013) looked the part, but whiffed on the field. Ihedigbo was stop gap. Ozzie went hard after Jairus Byrd (remember him?). Terrence Brooks physically looked the part, but never learned it, or coverage. Great STer, though. Will Hill was very good but failed us through his weed habit - a major loss. (Ozzie worked hard on Hill, too.) Weddle was very good for a year but fell off markedly due to age. Thomas was very good for a year but surprisingly turned out to be an intolerable jerk (not EDC's fault).

Don't underestimate the value of a real FS. I will be surprised if we don't sign Malik Hooker, draft Trevon Moehrig or, at worst, another FS candidate no later than the 3rd round.

Elliott is approaching Campanaro and Gillmore territory with his availability. I am surprised there is ink already devoted to extending him. For God's sake, let him play out his rookie deal. If you still like him after another year, and he still has no interceptions, or even 1 or 2, you’ll be able to re-sign him without pain.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    Elliott and FS

Elliott has no interceptions, few passed defended, and has missed two years out of three. I like him a lot, but he is really suitable only for the SS role. Wink uses him well, including blitzing. But Earl Thomas blitzed successfully, too. We have great cornerbacks and a pass rush which generates hits and hurries – so, we need more positive play from a FS type. If you have a real FS, Peters at CB can gamble even more, successfully.

Ozzie and EDC have always been looking for a quality FS since Ed left. They know a good one’s value. They are hard to find and keep.

Marcus Huff (2013) looked the part, but whiffed on the field. Ihedigbo was stop gap. Ozzie went hard after Jairus Byrd (remember him?). Terrence Brooks physically looked the part, but never learned it, or coverage. Great STer, though. Will Hill was very good but failed us through his weed habit - a major loss. (Ozzie worked hard on Hill, too.) Weddle was very good for a year but fell off markedly due to age. Thomas was very good for a year but surprisingly turned out to be an intolerable jerk (not EDC's fault).

Don't underestimate the value of a real FS. I will be surprised if we don't sign Malik Hooker, draft Trevon Moehrig or, at worst, another FS candidate no later than the 3rd round.

Elliott is approaching Campanaro and Gillmore territory with his availability. I am surprised there is ink already devoted to extending him. For God's sake, let him play out his rookie deal. If you still like him after another year, and he still has no interceptions, or even 1 or 2, you’ll be able to re-sign him without pain.
    rhap, that's why EDC may (if available) draft Trevon Moehrig in the 1st if he falls. Also, Elliot is an UFA in 2022, so a drafted Safety can get some experience (without being thrown into the fire immediately) before taking over his role and play along with Chuck Clark... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    rhap, that's why EDC may (if available) draft Trevon Moehrig in the 1st if he falls. Also, Elliot is an UFA in 2022, so a drafted Safety can get some experience (without being thrown into the fire immediately) before taking over his role and play along with Chuck Clark... Bc
    If Moehrig falls to us, we should embrace our luck and take him. Well, pending no other top player takes a big tumble at a position that we really need a bit more help, like pass rush.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

If the ravens draft a Free safety in the first round. I will be disgusted.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RAVEN2FLY View Post
    If the ravens draft a Free safety in the first round. I will be disgusted.
    R2F, please don't try to pigeon-hole EDC into one position or another. If Moehrig is the BPA then there's a strong chance we take him OR would you rather draft a lower-level Pass Rusher or WR just because they're "needs?" ... Bc

P.S. - DT is not an immediate need, but if a player like Christian Barmore falls, he might be the pick. Not sexy, but better in the long-run.

R2F, please don't try to pigeon-hole EDC into one position or another. If Moehrig is the BPA then there's a strong chance we take him OR would you rather draft a lower-level Pass Rusher or WR just because they're "needs?" ... Bc

P.S. - DT is not an immediate need, but if a player like Christian Barmore falls, he might be the pick. Not sexy, but better in the long-run.
    Out off all the glaring holes on this team, you really think a safety will be best? Give me a break. Im not saying he should strictly draft in one position but safety? Come on bruh. Its so many glaring holes. And that BPA method is overrated, seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I agree with you. I think the Ravens might be overvaluing special teams a bit. Board and Justice are big special teams contributors who'll probablly make the roster. Jordan Richards is a career special teamer who's a bit younger and is signed for '21 too. That seems like enough to me.
    I think it's too early to definitively say. It's April. They still have to draft, 2nd wave of FA and have to make it through camps and preseason. If the final 53(?) has an overabundance of guys that are deemed ST only, then perhaps we'd have some bones to pick. Also though, anyone remember the last time a Ravens team lost a game due to poor coverage on STs. I know the kickoff has been mostly eliminated, but punt returns have not. It's a highly under-rated strength of the team that most fans of the Ravens take as a forgone conclusion. Should a roster spot for a better, younger safety be take up by Levine, no. But we don't have that currently.

Quote Originally Posted by RAVEN2FLY View Post
    Out off all the glaring holes on this team, you really think a safety will be best? Give me a break. Im not saying he should strictly draft in one position but safety? Come on bruh. Its so many glaring holes. And that BPA method is overrated, seriously.
    What are these "glaring holes" in your opinion? And if they can find a true playmaking safety, why does it matter if it's pick 27 or 58 or 104?
    If the pick they make at 27 fills one of these glaring holes, but turns out to be a bust or can't stay on the field because of injury, I'd be way more pissed about that then I would be because they picked an effective safety in round 1.

2021 Ravens draft order:

Round 1: 27th overall
    Round 2: 58th
    Round 3: 104th
    Round 4: 131st
    Round 5: 171st, 184th
    Round 6: 210th