Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries

Re: Can you complain about Lamars receiving options at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
    I think they'll need to get someone in to replace Chris Moore, but obviously be a big upgrade from him. Agreed on Watkins, we need someone to step up while he's out, but that doesn't mean it has to be first or second round pick. We could get a veteran still out on the market, or someone let go after the draft.

If we want some help at TE receiving this year I don't think you'll find that in the draft. TEs take until their second year to develop. Most likely picking up someone like Darren Fells is the best option here. Then if one of the younger TEs on the roster works out, you're good, but you're not relying on them.
    In regards to TE, im aware it usually takes a year to get up to speed, which is why i think there needs to be an emphasis on the position this year. That and whatever they can give this year as a 3rd option would be a bonus. If were questioning our receiving corps as is what does it look like next year is we lose Mark Andrews? I think thats scarier than anything were talking about now.

As far as talent, It might not be the best year, but when we drafted Hurst and Andrews it wasnt considered a great year either. obviously Pitts is the best TE prospect in sometime, but i feel those years with such a star sometimes the other TEs become value picks. The top 6-8 prospects are all around 4.65-4.75 40 guys with size (not unlike Andrews or Hurst). Id trust the FO to find the best one of that group and should only cost a mid round pick most likely. as far as vets, i think theres certainly fall back options, but a younger more dynamic option is still a preferable long term and cheaper solution imo.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    In regards to TE, im aware it usually takes a year to get up to speed, which is why i think there needs to be an emphasis on the position this year. That and whatever they can give this year as a 3rd option would be a bonus. If were questioning our receiving corps as is what does it look like next year is we lose Mark Andrews? I think thats scarier than anything were talking about now.

As far as talent, It might not be the best year, but when we drafted Hurst and Andrews it wasnt considered a great year either. obviously Pitts is the best TE prospect in sometime, but i feel those years with such a star sometimes the other TEs become value picks. The top 6-8 prospects are all around 4.65-4.75 40 guys with size (not unlike Andrews or Hurst). Id trust the FO to find the best one of that group and should only cost a mid round pick most likely. as far as vets, i think theres certainly fall back options, but a younger more dynamic option is still a preferable long term and cheaper solution imo.
    I'm totally fine with the Ravens drafting a TE replacement early. They just won't be the pass catching TE2 this year. That's why a guy like Fells would be great. He's a bridge until whoever you draft is ready to take over.

3. Re: Can you complain about Lamars receiving options at this point?

Need Big Red Zone Threat for situations like 3rd and goal from the 9 in the playoffs.

When Lamar decides that the best choice is to throw to Mark Andrews despite the fact that he was covered by 4 guys, Lamar needs another big and easy target, so that their defense doesn't all decide that Mark Andrews is the only choice.

Other than that, the Ravens got to that playoff game, more than what they had last year was not needed.

But a big tall guy to catch an easy pass was needed at that time, in that game.

I've been hyping the super tall high school TE/DE/basketball/baseball pitcher / college OTs Spencer Brown and Drew Himmelman.

Spencer Brown is a 10/10 RAS at a number of positions, OT,OG,C,DT. Potentially an off the charts beast freak TE, unstoppable. You just don't hear about 6'8 311 OTs who have a 6.96 3 cone. Seems to me that when you're talking about 3rd and goal from the 9, you want at least a little bit of quickness to go with that height and weight. He could be a OT of the future if the Ravens decide not to spend on O Brown, and a blocking TE, and can (probably) catch that high pass at the side of the end zone.

Drew Himmelman is one who we don't have pro day numbers for, and we might never. But similar to Brown and likely to be drafted later because he's probably not 10/10 RAS. 10/10 is rare. He's probably around 6'9 320. And he was, like Spencer Brown, TE/DE/basketball/baseball pitcher in high school (kind of unusual that both did all 4 things?). Was offered basketball scholarship. As a OT in college, Illinois State, he was good. That's FCS, so not FBS, but still, first team AP All American at Left Tackle. No one better at actually playing LT at the FCS level. Additionally, he was one of the 12 finalists for the William Campbell Trophy, which is all divisions, FBS, FCS, other, which goes to the top scholar athlete. So, he's presumably smart and of high character. I like both of them, I'd get both of them.

The only thing the Ravens really needed to do differently all year was not that interception on 3rd and 9 in the playoffs. Putting 2 additional really big guys out there I'd say increases the chances that that play is a TD and not a pick 6.

Also, the oline was weaker than desired in that playoff game, both of these guys should be able to help to some degree. A swing tackle last year was not quite good enough and both of these guys could do that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post

Good question, JAB. I do like Pat Freiermuth, but not in the 1st. Perhaps a trade down into the upper 2nd (?) I like his pass catching ability and he knows how to score (16 TDs in 3 years). We'd like to see Two-TE sets where both can be receiving threats. If (GOD Forbid!) Andrews left for greener pastures in 2022, then we'd still have a TE to somewhat take his place.

What do you think? ... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Good question, JAB. I do like Pat Freiermuth, but not in the 1st. Perhaps a trade down into the upper 2nd (?) I like his pass catching ability and he knows how to score (16 TDs in 3 years). We'd like to see Two-TE sets where both can be receiving threats. If (GOD Forbid!) Andrews left for greener pastures in 2022, then we'd still have a TE to somewhat take his place.

What do you think? ... Bc
    I dont think itll take a first and hell probably end up a mid to late 2nd. obviously a guess, but i just dont see much hype around the other TEs and I think there will be higher graded talent elsewhere. If you look at their player profiles, he falls perfectly between Hurst and Andrews, FWIW. I think hes more Hurst than Andrews, but I do like his toughness. Id be fine with him in the 2nd. love him in the 3rd if he somehow falls.

The sleeper/project I think makes some sense for us is Hunter Long. Hes got a big catch radius (which sorry, but we need with lamar's accuracy currently), tough when the ball is in the air (a skill really only Andrews has right now), but hes a little light in the ass as a blocker. Hes got the frame to put some meat on his bones, and if you can translate that toughness with catching, to blocking, i think he becomes a solid 1B for us, worst case, hes spilts with Boyle to compliment his blocking. I trust our staff to be able to get him to atleast be adequate blocker, since Andrews, Waller, etc have all had and overcame similar issues. Hes projected late 3 or early 4 currently. I like the value there better, for a player with a similar ceiling albeit, lower floor.
    -JAB

I’m a fan of Hunter Long too and agree with the points you’re making. I’ve seen him mocked to us around the rounds you mention and I’d be happy if he fell to us in late 3rd/4th.

Blog Entries

It’s without a bottom 7-8 group across the NFL. The fact that you have to mention players like Boyle, Boykin and Duvernay when listing off the guys we have shows that. The bottoms end, which is what those guys are, don’t move the needle much on any team. It’s the high end that matters and we are still lacking. Growth from Brown would make a big difference but I hate to rely on that. Add one more option and I’ll be satisfied, for now.