Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Players you want drafted before pick 27

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Let's start with this... the Ravens aren't trading up. I see enough talent falling to pick 27 that it just will not happen. Much more likely they trade down, but I don't think they will trade out of round 1 thanks to that crucial 5th year option. So, they're probably picking between 27 and 32.

This thread is for players that you don't want to see the Ravens select. It's the anti hype thread. We need one every draft season. The flavor this time isn't "who is overrated" or "who is going to fall in the draft" but "who do you want off the board by the time the Ravens pick"?

It's still a bit early and subject to change, but I'm getting a good picture of things. Here are my guys:

Honorable Mention - any and all QBs. This goes without saying. Ravens have their QB and we want all five Rd 1 prospects off the board, leaving 21 other selections before the Ravens pick.

---

1) Micah Parsons - first off, the Ravens are set at LB. But beyond that, the longer I go through the pre draft process, the more it seems like people that count like other LBs. If the Ravens absolutely have to go with LB, he better be the next coming of Ray Lewis. The biggest red flag I see? Sometimes, he gets lost in coverage. If you have that issue and you opt out an entire season, I doubt it gets better. Like, you can train your body to have an NFL ready body (see Quinn Meinerz) but you can't just watch film and suddenly become a good cover player. I do NOT want to see this guy fall, I want him taken off the board, Ravens already have Patrick Queen.

2) Trevon Moehrig - I see this guy mocked to the Ravens and I get a slightly bad taste in my mouth. Unlike LB, S is a minor position of need. The Ravens have no depth behind their starters, unless you count Geno Stone as depth. Like Parsons, I have to wonder if he really is the top at his position in the class. Moehrig looks like a good player. So does Elijah Molden, Richie Grant, Jamar Johnson and Tyrie Gillespie. Andre Sisco has a super high ceiling. And there are a few guys later that look promising. I think Moehrig is poor use of a first round pick with what else should be available.

3) Christian Darrisaw - Don't kid yourself, I want the Ravens to draft one if not two OL in the top four rounds of this draft. It's my top positional group, even above WR. So it then comes down to fit. Darrisaw is best used as a LT in a zone blocking scheme. He would be a great pick for a team like Minnesota sitting at pick 14, as they use an outside zone run scheme. And wouldn't you know, the last mock I saw had Darrisaw going there.

4) Najee Harris – there is no guarantee that RB will be taken in Rd 1, but if it does happen, it'll likely be Harris. And if it happens before the Ravens pick, I'll be very happy. It doesn't matter if Harris is better than JK Dobbins. It'll push one more player I want the Ravens to draft down the board. I never, ever want to see them draft a RB in round 1 anymore, and that they haven't since Jamal Lewis is worthy of praise.

5) Jayson Oweh – I need to include more of a hot button name on this list so I go to EDGE, one of the biggest positional needs on the team. The Ravens need to draft an EDGE, and Rd 1 is definitely in play for it. Oweh's historic Pro Day numbers have him squarely in Rd 1 consideration. Oweh is your classic great athlete who is not yet a good football player. Maybe he'll develop, maybe he won't, but he's unquestionably a project. Now I do think he's much better than zero sacks would indicate – like Gregory Rousseau is a worse player than 16 sacks indicate – but on the field he was still outperformed by his teammate Shaka Toney on a defense that played well below expectations.
    That's what I've been saying with Oweh. Would definitely love to see a day three pick used on Toney though.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Sorry; for clarification I use the terms LB and EDGE instead of ILB and OLB, respectively.
    In that case I would agree.
    Even though I agreed with them letting Judon and Yannick walk their losses along with that of Ward are going to impact the D much more than some think it is,imo.
    Cant just plug anyone in and say now go replace those two pro bowlers to any rookie or Jag out of the bargain bin. We'll see.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

I'm really not crazy about any of the 1st round Edge guys besides Jaelan Phillips. I see the appeal of guys like Ojulari/Oweh but I'm just not sold on them enough to continue to put the offense (AKA Lamar's help) on the back burner.

I believe in our defensive scouting to find more guys like Judon/ZDS in the mid-rounds. So, unless it's Phillips I hope most of the high profile Edges go off the board before #27 so they don't tempt our front office to kick dirt on the offense for yet another year

It's the offense's turn, it's Lamar's turn. I would be fine with any of Bateman, Jenkins, AVT, Marshall, Toney at #27. (Or Jaelan Phillips assuming he clears our medical eval)

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    I'm really not crazy about any of the 1st round Edge guys besides Jaelan Phillips. I see the appeal of guys like Ojulari/Oweh but I'm just not sold on them enough to continue to put the offense (AKA Lamar's help) on the back burner.

I believe in our defensive scouting to find more guys like Judon/ZDS in the mid-rounds. So, unless it's Phillips I hope most of the high profile Edges go off the board before #27 so they don't tempt our front office to kick dirt on the offense for yet another year

It's the offense's turn, it's Lamar's turn. I would be fine with any of Bateman, Jenkins, AVT, Marshall, Toney at #27. (Or Jaelan Phillips assuming he clears our medical eval)
    Mostly on board, but I’d rather have Moehrig and Paye over Toney and Marshall. I think I’d rather Mayfield too... Bateman, AVT and Jenkins are all right at the top of potential players available to us however. I think Paye is long gone by 27 but have seen him slip in some recent mocks.

I also know this happens every year, but this year it feels worse with some of the over-analyzation.

There are people that legitimately have Slater over Sewell or Wilson over Lawrence. That’s pure lunacy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Mostly on board, but I’d rather have Moehrig and Paye over Toney and Marshall. I think I’d rather Mayfield too... Bateman, AVT and Jenkins are all right at the top of potential players available to us however. I think Paye is long gone by 27 but have seen him slip in some recent mocks.

I also know this happens every year, but this year it feels worse with some of the over-analyzation.

There are people that legitimately have Slater over Sewell or Wilson over Lawrence. That’s pure lunacy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think Paye will be gone but I guess crazier things have happened, I would be okay with Paye if he slid

Moehrig... I like him, but I'm not sold on him being a can't-miss prospect like a Derwin James type. There's also a lot of really good safety prospects available in the mid rounds. Andre Cisco is an animal (Probably round 2 guy), very high on Damar Hamlin as well who should be available into the mid-late rounds. I just think that's a spot you can wait and still find quality at in round 2-5. Deshon & Clark have shown me enough to not get antsy with adding a safety in round 1.

I just think at the end of the day your goal should be to find an offensive starter in round 1. Whether that's an OL or a WR. Take that early shot for the offense assuming there isn't a crazy defensive slide that you just can't pass up like a Kwity Paye or Jaelan Phillips (with a medical clearance).

I would love a firm solution at WR before Lamar signs that mega deal. I've had enough of the smartest guy in the room thing with drafting WR's, you took Hollywood in the 1st, was he the best WR in that class? No. But is he still a high quality starter? Yes.

Stick with what works, if we take a WR in round 1 we can even get away with being "wrong" on which guy to take and still come away feeling like a winner as was the case with Hollywood (AJ Brown). I have a very hard time believing a guy like Terrace Marshall won't at least be a high quality starter even if he falls short of being the next breakout star. When you wait until the mid rounds and you get it "wrong" you can get it VERY wrong because the talent pool has just dwindled so much at that point. Stack the deck in your favor where you need it the most.
    Last edited by sflegend89; 04-04-2021 at 02:43 AM.

6. Re: Players you want drafted before pick 27

First pick - Oweh.
    Second pick - Spencer Brown.

I'm just one of those folks who see the best pro day numbers ever and says "at 27? are you kidding, yes give me that guy". 257 pounds 4.37. Whatever comp you have with Oweh, that guy you're comparing him to didn't have those crazy numbers Oweh has No Matter Who You Come Up With In The History Of The NFL. Mingo did not have anywhere near the numbers of Oweh. 257 4.37 is insanely good. Mingo's 241 4.58 is good or great but you see numbers like that every year. Gholston was 266 4.67. Not even really close to Oweh.

All the time I'm looking for the best numbers.

Same thing with Spencer Brown OT who ran a 6.96 3 cone at 311 pounds.

10/10 RAS at OT, OG, C, DT.

His 6.96 3 Cone was 9.99 OT, 10 OG, 10 C, 9.98 DT, 9.42 DE, 8.94 TE. 311 pounds, 6'9 - bigger than any TE out there, maybe ever, and he's quicker than 9 out of 10 TEs.

I can look at numbers and pick out crazy ones. If you have a blocking TE who is taller and heavier than any TE ever, and he's also quicker than 9 out of 10, he's really well positioned to be exceptional as a blocking TE.

And what I would do and would have been doing all along is taking the best athletes, especially the ones with positional versatility. The best NFL players come from the best athletes. What do we think Lamar Jackson is? A "try hard" guy with lots of technique? Or top athlete?

Highest RAS for any player drafted by the Ravens? Jonathan Ogden 10/10. Very similar numbers to Spencer Brown. Brown is 1/4 inch taller and 7 pounds lighter. Ogden had 1 more on the bench and 1/2 less on the vert and 4 less on the broad. Ogden was .18 less on the 40, .11 less on the 10 split and didn't do the 3 cone or the 20 shuttle. Ogden was 7 pounds heavier, had 1 more bench, and was worse at everything else, and was still a perfect 10/10.

https://relativeathleticscores.com/r...?PlayerID=3943

This thread is for players that you don't want to see the Ravens select. It's the anti hype thread. We need one every draft season. The flavor this time isn't "who is overrated" or "who is going to fall in the draft" but "who do you want off the board by the time the Ravens pick"?
    Great post. I agree with all your choices.

1) Micah Parsons Owusu-Koramoah and any other ILBs can go off the board before the Ravens pick please.

2) Trevon Moehrig I like the flexibility of two versatile Safeties who can play in the box and drop deep. Single High Safety is a position that's on it's way out and I don't want to pay a draft premium for a player who'd make the defense more predictable and less flexible. The Ravens are set for starters so it's not a massive need. Add another flexible S later and cheaper.

3) Christian Darrisaw The more Left Tackles that go the better. If Sewell, Slater, Cosmi, Eichenberg etc are all gone it pushes up Orlando's value opening up the chance for a nice draft day trade.

4) Najee Harris I wouldn't be completely shocked if 2 RBs are gone by the time the Ravens pick. I think low RB salaries are finally filtering through to put talented athletes off playing the position. In 2020 there were 5 high end RBs - they were all gone by pick 55. This year there are 3 - they'll all go pretty early.

5) Jayson Oweh The raw, physical freak Edges scare me as they have such high bust potential. I'd add Paye to that list.

As many teams as want to can pick QBs and CBs too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post

pretty hilarious

look back at the last few drafts and you may be surprised to find offense picks in the first three rounds way more than defense

2020 - 3/3
    2019 - 2/1
    2018 - 4/0

that's 9 offense to 4 defense. Sounds like we should just draft straight up defense every pick ;-)

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Assuming no trades can be made, I wouldn't mind if EDC drafted Moehrig @ #27. D. Elliot is an UFA in 2022, and I'm not sure if EDC finds him worthy of a 2nd contract (?) I would like to address Pass Rush, WR, and IOL within the next 3 rounds though, if possible... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    pretty hilarious

look back at the last few drafts and you may be surprised to find offense picks in the first three rounds way more than defense

2020 - 3/3
    2019 - 2/1
    2018 - 4/0

that's 9 offense to 4 defense. Sounds like we should just draft straight up defense every pick ;-)
    Yes, if the last few drafts were the only way the team was built. When you look at trades, free agent signings and talent already on the roster it starts to look a bit different.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    pretty hilarious

2020 - 3/3
    2019 - 2/1
    2018 - 4/0

I was gonna say this as well but can't be bothered with another debate on WRs. It is quite clear that through the draft EDC has tried with mixed success when it comes to the offense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Yes, if the last few drafts were the only way the team was built. When you look at trades, free agent signings and talent already on the roster it starts to look a bit different.
    They went out in FA and got a guard and a receiver. I just don't understand this twisted view

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!