Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Sammy Watkins to the Ravens 1 year 6 mil (5 guaranteed)

The Ravens needed "a advance reptilian solar being" and now they've got one.

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    no they don't
    You think Sammy Watkins is THE answer? He should help if he stays healthy, but he's not the end all be all in the receiving corps.

Cheap deal, low risk, high upside, two big thumbs up on this one. Glad they got Watkins instead of Hilton.

Now go get a WR early in the draft and we're cookin', Watkins is a solid addition but can't be THE addition, especially on just a 1 year deal

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    It's worth 6 mil to get people to stop complaining about wrs on the message board. "Problem" solved!
    You think signing Watkins fixes the WR woes?

Watkins is slight upgrade over Willie Snead for sure ( if healthy). The price is cheap which is the only reason it happened. Remember Watkins left town without an offer.

Willie Snead and TY Hilton signed elsewhere.
    So Sammy Watkins it is.

But this is addition by subtraction of loss of Snead.

The team still needs to find a long term solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EdReed4HOF View Post
    I like it. They still need to go WR in the first or second round.
    I don’t think so. Watkins is not a game breaking #1 WR, but he is good enough that the Ravens now don’t HAVE to draft a WR in the first or second round. They can address other needs in the first and second round, and maybe trade a mid-round pick for another WR.

“When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Sammy Watkins is just a Willie Snead replacement (upgrade as well)

But this doesn't solve their WR issues, it was a solid addition that I'm happy with, especially at that price tag.... but they are absolutely still in the market for a WR early in the draft. Just a 1 year deal, a longer term solution at X like Bateman or Marshall is still ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Good move, as others have said, however it does not slam the door shut on the position. We no longer need to reach for a WR and can simply wait for one to be BPA.
    Pass rushers is still the biggest need, and maybe the case could be made to grab one at 27 unless the value is awful. Would like to make a similar move at that position to really free up the BPA strategy, especially if we add a guy like Hooker as well.

Hooker and Clowney or Ingram are what I'm hoping for then shut it down until the draft unless a too good to pass up OBJ trade comes along.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    Adding a vertical receiver in the 3rd round who could develop, like Nico Collins or Tamorrion Terry, might be the complementary move to this.
    Terry is my guy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I don’t think so. Watkins is not a game breaking #1 WR, but he is good enough that the Ravens now don’t HAVE to draft a WR in the first or second round. They can address other needs in the first and second round, and maybe trade a mid-round pick for another WR.

It's just a Snead replacement, all they've done is compensate for a lost starter there. Round 1 or 2 WR should very much so be a priority, especially as it's only a 1 yr deal and he has his share of injury concerns

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post

Watkins only played in 10 games 2 of the last 3 seasons. I would still like to draft a WR early that can step in if/when we need him this season and then have him ready to take over for Watkins all together by next season.

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    Cheap deal, low risk, high upside, two big thumbs up on this one. Glad they got Watkins instead of Hilton.

Now go get a WR early in the draft and we're cookin', Watkins is a solid addition but can't be THE addition, especially on just a 1 year deal
    How early? How important is it to you that we still add a “top guy” ?

He’s a “Snead replacement” in the most literal sense, but they should play different roles. This means less Boykin and more Duvernay which is a very good thing in my book. One (of several) reasons why I strongly preferred him to TY. Glad they were saved from themselves in that regard, and I’m glad they got this done.