Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    I want to check it out. Can you give a link to their forum
    Sure thing

https://www.pewterreport.com/forums/forum/pirates-cove/

Re: Views on lockdowns, increasing authoritarianism and collectivism

Quote Originally Posted by Drain Bamage View Post
    Looks like you have one random devout lib posting a lot

Hmm yeah my bad. What a mess one person can make. The format is a headache too, hard to tell where one posr starts and another begins

Quote Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
    Lockdowns slow down the spread and stop hospitals from being overrun. Lockdowns in the UK would have saved 20-50k lives. They are inconvenient and can be financially ruinous BUT they do stop everyone from being sick at the same time. IF a quarter of the population is sick at once, then many people who could have been saved will die.

Early on, I was a big supporter of lockdowns. Now in hindsight, I can see better alternatives BUT the world still isn’t prepared for them. IF Covid21 started tomorrow, I would either recommend to let it rip and lose 2% of the population OR go into lockdown but not how they did it in Europe.
    You target and help the high risk groups, let them make their own choices then, and let everyone else live

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    I've been in Florida since Saturday. If you were to time travel from December 2019 to today here, you would not know there was anything out of the ordinary going on. Yeah, a few brainless idiots are running(!) with masks on. Outside. But no restrictions I can see. Beaches are full, people having a good time. Bars are full. Restaraunts are hopping. And yet, Florida is better off than liberal shitholes like NYC, LA etc.

The OP has a right to be worried. When HALF the population has already been vaccinated in mid-March yet the British gov't is still acting like they are dealing with The Blitz, and the people are not screaming about it...they are setting themselves up to be treated like sheep every time there is a minor issue in the country.
    Where we were at in Florida last week, pretty much everyone was masked indoors, but otherwise yeah. Would've not really know anything else was going on.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ortizer; 03-29-2021 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    I think with little means is that in countries where the gov was able to scare the hell out of citizens, those citizens were too scared to act out.

But I am still trying to understand which’s countries he is talking about.
    Probably Asian countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Where we were at in Florida last week, pretty much everyone was masked indoors, but otherwise yeah. Would've not really know anything else was going on.

99% of the people I saw in restaraunts - and not those just seated - were maskless. Some places had the obligatory mask requirements sign on the door that was summarily ignored.

This was Panama City Beach.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Probably Asian countries.

Most of which did not lockdown

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    99% of the people I saw in restaraunts - and not those just seated - were maskless. Some places had the obligatory mask requirements sign on the door that was summarily ignored.

This was Panama City Beach.
    My daughter just got back from spring break. She stayed in a condo. While waiting for the elevator on the second day, a woman living there asked “you aren’t from here, are you?” My daughter said no, then asked why. The woman responded, because you are wearing a mask.

She said no one outside or inside that building was wearing masks. Bars were open and full. She said occasionally, you would see someone with a mask. But not often

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
    You target and help the high risk groups, let them make their own choices then, and let everyone else live
    Not to mention lockdowns and business closures kill people. 37k per 1% uptick in unemployment.

This was so poorly managed, so many people demanded and accepted the full on authoritarian approach. I understand there is a large group of the population who will accept this stuff but so many more need to be holding governments accountable.

After all we know now, how are nations like the Philippines extending lockdowns and border closures?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Australia had a short national lockdown. After that, only the state of Victoria have had extreme lockdowns, after only a few hundred reported cases. The state of Victoria went full on nazi/soviet Union over a tiny amount of covid. Queensland took a similar approach to Florida and have basically had no cases.

You have not provided any evidence that lockdowns work. All you have is theories, and trust in the government that imposed them. I think for someone to continue to support lockdowns means that inside you have always craved a bit of authoritarianism. Like I said earlier, if you tried to lock society down even in the 90s or 80s over a pathogen, you probably would have had huge civil unrest.
    Australia has no virus in all the states, except Queensland. Queensland are currently in a 3 day lockdown to identify ALL carriers (10 so far) and isolate them. This will be the eighth recent short term lockdown in an Australian State. Each time it was to eliminate the virus. Once this outbreak is contained, the virus will be eliminated in Australia again.
    Previously the virus rate got to 700/day in Melbourne and they did a few month lockdown to get it to 0.

75,000 people attend football games, grandparents visit grandkids, life is almost back to pre-covid.

Sweden tried isolating the at risk population and it didn’t work, as asymptomatic people spread the virus to the vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Which countries did lockdown work for?

New Zealand are a tiny Island in the ass end of no where. Australia has a land mass the same size as the USA but with less than half the population of the UK. China is China.... lockdowns were a disaster for everyone else.
    Not all Lockdowns are the same. Many allow most people to go about as normal. Some are more restrictive and have very few people still going about normally.

To put all lockdowns into the 1 category is basically saying all WR are the same.... as Ravens fans, we know they aren’t.