Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Views on lockdowns, increasing authoritarianism and collectivism

I've been in Florida since Saturday. If you were to time travel from December 2019 to today here, you would not know there was anything out of the ordinary going on. Yeah, a few brainless idiots are running(!) with masks on. Outside. But no restrictions I can see. Beaches are full, people having a good time. Bars are full. Restaraunts are hopping. And yet, Florida is better off than liberal shitholes like NYC, LA etc.

The OP has a right to be worried. When HALF the population has already been vaccinated in mid-March yet the British gov't is still acting like they are dealing with The Blitz, and the people are not screaming about it...they are setting themselves up to be treated like sheep every time there is a minor issue in the country.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Boris is completely incompetent. His conservative government have botched almost anything they do. Brexit is destroying thousands of small/medium businesses in the UK and the lockdown is destroying even more.

Boris locked down too late to have any effect and now won’t open up again, even though they could easily do so right now. He is a conservative who has lost his way....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
    Boris is completely incompetent. His conservative government have botched almost anything they do. Brexit is destroying thousands of small/medium businesses in the UK and the lockdown is destroying even more.

Boris locked down too late to have any effect and now won’t open up again, even though they could easily do so right now. He is a conservative who has lost his way....
    I strongly disagree with this

We shouldn't have had any lockdowns looking back. There is no evidence that locking down earlier has worked for anyone.

As for brexit, I don't want to get into a debate with that but brexit has not done much damage so far. The left will probably blame all the runaway inflation, and economic depression on brexit when it was obviously because of lockdowns and government deficits.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    I've been in Florida since Saturday. If you were to time travel from December 2019 to today here, you would not know there was anything out of the ordinary going on. Yeah, a few brainless idiots are running(!) with masks on. Outside. But no restrictions I can see. Beaches are full, people having a good time. Bars are full. Restaraunts are hopping. And yet, Florida is better off than liberal shitholes like NYC, LA etc.

The OP has a right to be worried. When HALF the population has already been vaccinated in mid-March yet the British gov't is still acting like they are dealing with The Blitz, and the people are not screaming about it...they are setting themselves up to be treated like sheep every time there is a minor issue in the country.
    Great comment

I have a friend with -- how shall I put this? -- authoritarian leanings.

She's risk-averse when it comes to her health and she is very certain in her beliefs in almost everything.
    She doesn't fear government; she fears idiots and people insufficiently risk-averse or health conscious.

So, the confluence of Covid and Certainty mean she doesn't bat an eyelash at lockdowns. A lockdown is just a matter of stopping idiots from unwittingly hurting others.

If I were to broach the subject of the lockdown being a tool to be picked up later for nefarious purposes, she would dismiss it as conspiratorial nonsense.

She thinks she's right. The 800lb gorilla is, for now, doing her bidding. It will always do her bidding (so she thinks). No need to put it on a diet.

Seeing a CCP agent weld a residential door shut, and seeing empty shelves at numerous supermarkets here in April -- surreal and dystopian. Not difficult for me to imagine that gorilla turning to give me the evil eye.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I strongly disagree with this

We shouldn't have had any lockdowns looking back. There is no evidence that locking down earlier has worked for anyone.

As for brexit, I don't want to get into a debate with that but brexit has not done much damage so far. The left will probably blame all the runaway inflation, and economic depression on brexit when it was obviously because of lockdowns and government deficits.
    Lockdowns slow down the spread and stop hospitals from being overrun. Lockdowns in the UK would have saved 20-50k lives. They are inconvenient and can be financially ruinous BUT they do stop everyone from being sick at the same time. IF a quarter of the population is sick at once, then many people who could have been saved will die.

Early on, I was a big supporter of lockdowns. Now in hindsight, I can see better alternatives BUT the world still isn’t prepared for them. IF Covid21 started tomorrow, I would either recommend to let it rip and lose 2% of the population OR go into lockdown but not how they did it in Europe.

Blog Entries

Lockdowns slow down the spread and stop hospitals from being overrun. Lockdowns in the UK would have saved 20-50k lives. They are inconvenient and can be financially ruinous BUT they do stop everyone from being sick at the same time. IF a quarter of the population is sick at once, then many people who could have been saved will die.

Early on, I was a big supporter of lockdowns. Now in hindsight, I can see better alternatives BUT the world still isn’t prepared for them. IF Covid21 started tomorrow, I would either recommend to let it rip and lose 2% of the population OR go into lockdown but not how they did it in Europe.
    There has been on conclusive evidence released to the public that lockdowns slow the spread or save any lives. If there is any, please show it to me. We should look at the countries that didn't have lockdowns, and compare it to the UK. I remember the excuse for Sweden was that the people behave differently to the British and act responsible social distancing and wearing masks. Yet I was in Sweden last year and not one person was wearing a face covering and all the hospitality venus were packed. They have had far less death per capita than we have. They are on the EU average. Same could be said for the Red states in America that didn't lockdown, Florida being the obvious one. If I was American, I would be moving to Florida tomorrow. Great weather, good governor, people clearly love their freedom there, and low taxes. That is the kind of place you wanna live in this dystopian shithole that the left have created, along with Conservative sellouts like Boris Johnson (who I unfortunately voted for).

2%!!! Did you forget the decimal in front of that???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    2%!!! Did you forget the decimal in front of that???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIGHT!? 200,000,000 people!

The only response needed for this is, go back to your basement and lock the door

You are beyond help here. Where do you get this evidence that lockdowns work? There is more evidence they don’t

Just look at Sweden. The numbers are no worse than countries that licked down
    Look at New York and California, compared to Florida.

Lockdowns are prolonging this mess.

If you want to live in fear, that is your right. But you don’t have the right to force everyone to be as fearful as you are

11. Re: Views on lockdowns, increasing authoritarianism and collectivism

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    RIGHT!? 200,000,000 people!
    Fuzzy math, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    The only response needed for this is, go back to your basement and lock the door

You are beyond help here. Where do you get this evidence that lockdowns work? There is more evidence they don’t

Just look at Sweden. The numbers are no worse than countries that licked down
    Look at New York and California, compared to Florida.

Lockdowns are prolonging this mess.

If you want to live in fear, that is your right. But you don’t have the right to force everyone to be as fearful as you are
    Lockdowns worked in countries with either high trust in government OR who had been exposed to multiple similar diseases like Covid. The countries populations adhered to lockdowns and quarantines. Americans have one of the lowest trusts in government for a democratic style government. Democrats didn’t trust a Trump government. Republicans never trust the government, as that is a given.

Lockdowns worked in some countries just not in the US.