Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: LJ Fort released

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Fort seemed surprised on Twitter
    ...That would be his agent's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens4Real View Post
    Dude was our best LB last year. And that is saying a lot.

Seems very dumb to let him walk when he is so cheap.
    I know. ILB is mostly played between the ears and Fort is the only guy on the roster that can definitely play the position. They just hope everyone else can.

The savings from cutting him are barely more than they gave Chris Board. Why not keep the better player and let Board test the market instead?

Fort seemed surprised on Twitter
    lol, right!?

Jeff's tweet says:

"Fort is under contract, but the Ravens are going to let him go and let him test the market and pick up the $2.25 million in cap savings. He's a candidate to return if they can make the money work."

The way that is written implies (to me) that Fort had a desire to see if he could get a better deal than what he was under contract for. Or that the Ravens wanted to further lower his contract to the vet minimum and he said no? But then again, maybe they just blindsided him and cut his ass....who knows.

All of a sudden a guy we signed off the streets 2 years ago is irreplaceable. Get it together guys.

I like Fort but we’ve never had a problem replacing stop gap ILBs, I’m gonna ride with the FO on this one.

I’m pissed
    I really liked Fort too but this was the right move.

I don't like this move at all.

I spoke to someone close to the situation and apparently the Ravens brass acted as if Fort's release was a foregone conclusion and today's announcement was just a formality. Yet Josina Anderson's wording combined with Fort's Twitter response and the lack of an announcement by the team is really odd.

It's time to pass the buck to Malik Harrison.

Incidentally the move saves the Ravens 1.59M ($2.25 M base minus the $660K Rule of 51 offset)
    Last edited by TL24x7; 03-17-2021 at 04:55 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Don't you worry, the Ravens will find someone else to "hold down the Fort" unless LJ returns for le$$ ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    I spoke to someone close to the situation and apparently the Ravens brass acted as if Fort's release was a foregone conclusion and today's announcement was just a formality. Yet Josina Anderson's wording combined with Fort's Twitter response and the lack of an announcement by the team is really odd.

It's time to pass the buck to Malik Harrison.

Incidentally the move saves the Ravens 1.59M ($2.25 M base minus the $660K Rule of 51 offset)
    Now the word is that Fort's contract was posted improperly. He did not have a year remaining on his deal. It was a club option which they chose not to pick up, making him a UFA. So technically he wasn't cut.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

I thought he was a candidate for an extension. This move makes no sense for a zillion reasons.

We signed Fort in October 19. A month later, after he played a whole 4-5 games, we give him an extension. He outplayed that extension by being our most reliable tackling and coverage LB in 2020. Then we cut him and absorb his dead money hit all to save a microscopic amount?

Nothing about this move makes a lick of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I thought he was a candidate for an extension. This move makes no sense for a zillion reasons.

We signed Fort in October 19. A month later, after he played a whole 4-5 games, we give him an extension. He outplayed that extension by being our most reliable tackling and coverage LB in 2020. Then we cut him and absorb his dead money hit all to save a microscopic amount?

Nothing about this move makes a lick of sense.
    See above...apparently it was a club option which they did not exercise. My limited understanding would suggest no dead money and it's all available cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    See above...apparently it was a club option which they did not exercise. My limited understanding would suggest no dead money and it's all available cap space.
    I think we understand that there was a mixup on the status of his contract but that still doesn’t take away from him being extremely cheap and was arguably our best ILB last year.

Unless something ridiculous happened this offseason to sour him, there are dudes in this league that are at the cutoff of not getting dressed every Sunday making more than that.