Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Re: LJ Fort released

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I just want to point out that it sounds like you are saying Harrison has earned snaps by virtue of where he was drafted. That's pretty much the opposite of earning the job in a meritocratic sense.

That's why NJ made the comparison to Tim Williams.

My view (and his, I believe) is that we should not have to "act" like Harrison deserves to be out there a lot. He should "show" that he is good enough.

That said, if you left out the third round pick business and just talked about his on-field play, I might agree with you that Harrison earned more snaps.

He looked a little lost early in the season and rightfully was not getting as many snaps. Mid-season he starting looking very good in coverage, ironically, for a guy who was drafted to be a downhill run stopper. So they started leaving him on the field on third downs and his snaps increased to per game average of 38 in weeks 7-9. But his run stopping remained week at that point. So they carved out a role for him as purely a third down stopper during the last six weeks of the season, where his snap count fell to an average of 10/game.

In the playoffs he was on the field for half the snaps and looked good helping shut down Henry. That's something to build on if you're looking to see an increased role for him.

Frankly, I don't think the Fort signing says anything about how they feel about Harrison. Fort is very comparable to Anthony Levine, who they signed after the Packers gave up on him. Signing Levine didn't say anything about how they felt about their starting safeties. Like Fort, Levine has been very good on special teams, while providing depth and scheme versatility. Levine has spent plenty of time as a free agent, each time coming back to the Ravens on short, cheap deals in '12, '14, '15, '17, and '20. Levine has stuck around the team for 8 seasons because he is cheap, and he contributes on special teams, has carved out a role as a box safety, and provides some depth. That pretty much describes the kind of role Fort can play.
    And that's all that needs to be said about that. Good teams need to be filled out with guys that fit this exact profile. Professional NFL players that can make some plays periodically but more importantly, NOT be the guy that gives up big plays. It's like the perfect counter to guys like Peanut and Kenny Young that they let walk. Those were guys that could make huge splash plays but just as easily give up huge splash plays to the opponent.

Blog Entries

Yes Harrison does not deserve snaps because he was a 3rd rd draft pick

He deserves more snaps because he was for the most part a pretty good player for a rookie in his limited action... particularly in the Titans play off game

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Yes Harrison does not deserve snaps because he was a 3rd rd draft pick

He deserves more snaps because he was for the most part a pretty good player for a rookie in his limited action... particularly in the Titans play off game
    And because of this play.

https://twitter.com/jonas_shaffer/st...35778314285057

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    He is going to take off in 2021!!! Watch out

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Add a year of S&C and studying and he could get dangerous. The will to engage is the part that can't be taught, good building block.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I just want to point out that it sounds like you are saying Harrison has earned snaps by virtue of where he was drafted. That's pretty much the opposite of earning the job in a meritocratic sense.

That's why NJ made the comparison to Tim Williams.

My view (and his, I believe) is that we should not have to "act" like Harrison deserves to be out there a lot. He should "show" that he is good enough.

That said, if you left out the third round pick business and just talked about his on-field play, I might agree with you that Harrison earned more snaps.

He looked a little lost early in the season and rightfully was not getting as many snaps. Mid-season he starting looking very good in coverage, ironically, for a guy who was drafted to be a downhill run stopper. So they started leaving him on the field on third downs and his snaps increased to per game average of 38 in weeks 7-9. But his run stopping remained week at that point. So they carved out a role for him as purely a third down stopper during the last six weeks of the season, where his snap count fell to an average of 10/game.

In the playoffs he was on the field for half the snaps and looked good helping shut down Henry. That's something to build on if you're looking to see an increased role for him.

Frankly, I don't think the Fort signing says anything about how they feel about Harrison. Fort is very comparable to Anthony Levine, who they signed after the Packers gave up on him. Signing Levine didn't say anything about how they felt about their starting safeties. Like Fort, Levine has been very good on special teams, while providing depth and scheme versatility. Levine has spent plenty of time as a free agent, each time coming back to the Ravens on short, cheap deals in '12, '14, '15, '17, and '20. Levine has stuck around the team for 8 seasons because he is cheap, and he contributes on special teams, has carved out a role as a box safety, and provides some depth. That pretty much describes the kind of role Fort can play.
    You did not read what I wrote. I mentioned Bowser to show a higher drafted player who needed more time for development than Harrison. I don't see where my case is weakened by stating that the Ravens thought enough of Harrison's potential to draft him in the third round. I mentioned his play, too, but you want to cherry pick what suits your opinion.

The way that the Ravens handled Fort in the off-season suggests to me that the Ravens see Harrison the way I do.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    You did not read what I wrote. I mentioned Bowser to show a higher drafted player who needed more time for development than Harrison. I don't see where my case is weakened by stating that the Ravens thought enough of Harrison's potential to draft him in the third round. I mentioned his play, too, but you want to cherry pick what suits your opinion.

The way that the Ravens handled Fort in the off-season suggests to me that the Ravens see Harrison the way I do.
    I went back and read what you wrote, and I understand it less now, after your second post. I have no idea how I was cherry picking anything. Feel free to highlight which part was cherry picking. And feel free to clarify what you wrote originally where I (still) thin, you were saying they believed in him enough to use a third round pick on him, so he earned the snaps by virtue of that. I didn't even mention Bowser in my post. Did you read mine?

I still don't see how signing Fort tells us what they think of Harrison any more than signing Levine tells us what they think of Elliott.
    "That's what."
    — She