Page 8 of 80 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: State of the Steelers thread

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    The Steelers are sitting at an estimated $41.9 mil under the cap at the start of next season. This is not the real figure that Brian McFarland provides us for the Ravens after dealing with ERFAs, RFAs, the draft and hidden costs. But right now, it's at $41.9 mil with 43 players under contract.

They can make more by cutting the following players prior to 6/1:

$7.834 Joe Schobert
    $5.000 Zach Banner
    $4.295 Stephon Tuitt
    $3.265 Chris Boswell
    $3.000 Mason Rudolph
    $2.750 Derek Watt
    $2.600 Joe Haeg
    $2.500 Tyson Alualu

There are actually a lot of options here. Many of these players are in one or more of the old / injured / bad categories. Ben Roethlisberger's retirement by the way, has no savings; his entire cap number would be dead money. This is also the case with Eric Ebron who enters the first of his void years ($3.904 mil in dead money).

Now for the free agents

UFA
    Montravius Adams (27)
    Kalen Ballage (27)
    Taco Charlton (28)
    Joshua Dobbs (27)
    Terrell Edmunds (25)
    B.J. Finney (31)
    Miles Killebrew (29)
    Joe Haden (33)
    Arthur Maulet (29)
    Ray-Ray McCloud (26)
    Chukwuma Okorafor (25)
    Trai Turner (29)
    James Washington (26)

Most of these are depth guys that the team can afford to lose - Haden is the biggest name but he's old, so it really comes down to what the team does with Edmunds and Okorafor. They're both okay but not great, however, being 25 means they could each get big contracts.

If you look at what they have on the roster, these are the biggest needs as I see them:

1) QB - can't win without at least a competent one. They need to decide whether to go full rebuild, or get a guy like Derek Carr which I mentioned in my previous post. This is by far the biggest question and need on the team.

2) OT - Dan Moore was a savvy draft pick in Rd 4 and will get his chance to develop at LT... Okorafor at RT is a free agent and Banner/Haeg are both cut candidates. I would make Okorafor my top priority among players to bring back, but what is he asking for? The Steelers can be okay at OT but the decisions must be made on who to keep.

3) DL - like the Ravens, the Steelers DL is full of old and injured players. They got killed vs the run, giving up the most yards and yards/attempt (5.0 - ouch) in the league. Cameron Heyward is still a stud (much like Calais Campbell still is) but it's pretty much him and Chris Wormley at this point. They need youth and depth.

4) CB - if Joe Haden retires / doesn't come back, you tell me who is out there at CB. Cameron Sutton, and a bunch of ???s. I believe the Steelers 1st round pick may very well be a DB considering the draft board.

5) EDGE - I could also go with WR or IOL or S but the point here is we're into positional rooms that need depth. Beyond all-everything TJ Watt and Alex Highsmith, there ain't much. If Watt goes down in 2022, you can write this whole defense off, as it is. I picked EDGE because again the run defense was deplorable and it sure looks like they could use an edge setter on early downs.
    Steelers could be a dangerous team with a Derek Carr or better level QB. If they go lower cost, I could see them bringing in Darnold as a guy to get a shot at the QB job.

Darnold is probably a bust, but I haven’t given up total hope on him yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post
    Since 2011, the Steelers are 3-7 in the playoffs (which win was not "legitimate"?), while the Ravens are 7-5 over the same period. More playoff appearances and wins for the Ravens. However, 2011 is an arbitrary date. That was the year following their last SB appearance. If you count from the Raven's last SB appearance, they are 2-4 in the playoffs. Both franchises have underachieved recently, since the Ravens had LJ the last four years too. Though they have Covid and injuries as excuses. I am not sure what the Steelers' excuse is.
    The game that was literally over with 0:00 on the clock, then a completely bullshit personal foul won the game for them. The Steelers don't have an excuse, that's the point.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    No.

But.

I wouldn't be shocked if they go against their norm and bring in a QB with a price tag. This is it for Kevin Colbert after the draft, and for the first time in what seems like forever, they have a lot of cap space. Not a ton, but enough to bring in a QB. All of these guys have at least some level of question mark heading into next season

Aaron Rodgers
    Russell Wilson
    Derek Carr
    Kirk Cousins
    Carson Wentz
    Baker Mayfield
    Jimmy Garoppolo
    Tua Tagovailoa
    Jared Goff
    Sam Darnold
    Nick Foles
    Case Keenum

Some are more obtainable than others but the alternative of drafting a QB to compete with Mason Rudolph seems less appealing than most of them, in a weak QB draft.

If I were the new Steelers GM, I would try to pry Derek Carr away from the Raiders, a team in a large amount of flux. 2022 is the last year of his current deal and the price tag is a relative bargain at $19.88 mil.
    If they get Carr or Rodgers that's frightening

Blog Entries

Hey y’all I just wanted to drop by and say hello with training camp right around the corner.
    Like it or not I will share my thoughts on a few things regarding the Steelers.
    Behind‘s
    Heinze field name change.
    IDGAF!
    I find it comical that a lot of the fans and local media are all concerned and twisted over the change yet don’t share the same concern over a Steelers team that hasn’t won a playoff game in over half a decade.

Trubisky/ Pickett
    I’m thinking Trubisky will have a strong camp and emerge as the clear number one and be the starter on opening day with Kenny Pickett being the number two by default

I have the Steelers finishing at 8-9/9-8. I think they’ll be competitive throughout with the defense winning some games.

Here’s to an exciting season of football!!

Good luck Ravens fans!!

FF

Steelers make the playoffs IMO

Blog Entries

I agree about Tribusky, I think he could be better than many are giving him credit

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I agree about Tribusky, I think he could be better than many are giving him credit
    He has everything to gain by having a solid season for sure. Ryan Tannehill 2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    With the AFC as stacked as it is? No shot.

I think they'll win 7 or 8 games. First season Tomlin doesn't get to .500, but not by much.

?

Good hearing from you.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    With the AFC as stacked as it is? No shot.

I think they'll win 7 or 8 games. First season Tomlin doesn't get to .500, but not by much.
    No shot? That roster and coaching is too good to write them off. I understand saying you don't think so, but to literally give them no shot? They have like one of the best defenses in the NFL. They made the playoffs last year in a stacked AFC and IMO they've upgraded at QB from the corpse of Big Ben.

No shot? That roster and coaching is too good to write them off. I understand saying you don't think so, but to literally give them no shot? They have like one of the best defenses in the NFL. They made the playoffs last year in a stacked AFC and IMO they've upgraded at QB from the corpse of Big Ben.
    So do you have us missing the playoffs? Assuming the Bengals are in, I doubt the AFC north gets 3 teams in.