Page 4 of 80 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 960
  1. #37

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MidtownP View Post
    I know the Steelers roster as well as I do the Ravens. They have holes everywhere, and the "good players" on defense outside of Watt/Dline/Bush (coming off serious injury) are few and far between, or are older and declining (or have been released, left via FA). Even the homer fans have been saying they have almost no shot at doing anything this year and wanted Ben gone for a rebuild. Instead they are trying to cobble together one last run, with a far far worse roster around a 39 yr old QB.

    They lost their left tackle, lost their center, lost 2 guards, on an oline that they had to design the offense so that the ball came out so fast because they couldn't block anyone LAST season. They had the worst running game in the entire NFL because of it. To try out put some spin on it like they are fine there is ludicrous. They need to spend 2 high picks on OL just to plug the holes. Many want them to spend 3 it is so bad.

    And I thought this was a thread about the Steelers, so I don't know why everyone keeps bringing up the Ravens. Whose roster is infinitely better than the Steelers right now BTW.
    Did you ever think they arenít resigning their Oline FAís because they were so bad last year? I donít understand how you can fault them twice for knowing their Oline was horrific last year and trying to do something about it.

    Like I said, itís the 3rd day of free agency and if you think Pittsburgh is going to go into the season like they are currently constructed, thatís just wishful thinking on your end.

    And how can you list their defensive stars and not even say Fitzpatrick? Highsmith also played well in replacement of Dupree.

    Yes they donít have depth right now. But I am sure they will sign guys to fix that problem. One problem they donít have is the top end talent to compete still.





  2. #38

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens4Real View Post
    Did you ever think they arenít resigning their Oline FAís because they were so bad last year? I donít understand how you can fault them twice for knowing their Oline was horrific last year and trying to do something about it.

    Like I said, itís the 3rd day of free agency and if you think Pittsburgh is going to go into the season like they are currently constructed, thatís just wishful thinking on your end.

    And how can you list their defensive stars and not even say Fitzpatrick? Highsmith also played well in replacement of Dupree.

    Yes they donít have depth right now. But I am sure they will sign guys to fix that problem. One problem they donít have is the top end talent to compete still.
    ďI know the Steelers roster as well as I know the Ravens roster.Ē

    And then he doesnít even mention Minkah smfh





  3. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    11,001

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens4Real View Post
    Look at their cap space for next year. They can maneuver around the cap as much as they want because of how little they have committed in the future.
    Well yeah, but they only have 20 players under contract, and the only one of them who is at all a foundational piece is Bush. They're going to have to deal with Ben's dead cap. They have to find 33 players. They'll have some comp picks, so let's say they have 18 picks. Even if they hit on 2/3 of them -- which would be very high -- they still have to sign 21 players to fill up a roster. That's either re-signing their own players, or finding FAs.

    They'll have to pay Watt and Minkah -- or let them walk. And btw they have no QB.

    Again, not saying it can't be done, and FULL respect to that organization. But they are in no way in a similar situation to us. They have to have a lot of things go right to remain competitive.
    "Chin up, chest out."





  4. #40

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Well yeah, but they only have 20 players under contract, and the only one of them who is at all a foundational piece is Bush. They're going to have to deal with Ben's dead cap. They have to find 33 players. They'll have some comp picks, so let's say they have 18 picks. Even if they hit on 2/3 of them -- which would be very high -- they still have to sign 21 players to fill up a roster. That's either re-signing their own players, or finding FAs.

    They'll have to pay Watt and Minkah -- or let them walk. And btw they have no QB.

    Again, not saying it can't be done, and FULL respect to that organization. But they are in no way in a similar situation to us. They have to have a lot of things go right to remain competitive.
    I have never said anything about if they will be good or not next year. More than likely awful until they find another QB.

    That doesnít take away from the fact that they have an astronomical amount of cap and can push whatever type of cap they want into the future. Big Bens cap hit is $10 million next year. Even if it is dead cap, thatís not even an amount to worry about.

    They are going to be in full rebuild mode next year and wonít have to worry about the salary cap for probably the first time in 10+ years.





  5. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Posts
    2,296
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    They need an offensive tackle more than a RB so that should be their first round pick if the guy is there.

    I think they're fine with Ben, he always finds a way (when not injured).

    Losing Bud Dupree is huge, that one hurt
    Agreed about Dupree. That one hurts. The Steelers went 1-5 after Dupree went out with the injury.
    Kicking the Cap can down the road has finally caught up as well.
    I look for the Steelers to draft a RB at #1. Najee Harris if heís still on the board. This draft is deep with O-Line. I look for them to draft one in the 2nd round. If the Steelers can manage to get an effective running game going to help Ben the Steelers can be competitive again this season.
    9-7 .....10-6 maybe.





  6. #42

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by footballfan View Post
    Agreed about Dupree. That one hurts. The Steelers went 1-5 after Dupree went out with the injury.
    Kicking the Cap can down the road has finally caught up as well.
    I look for the Steelers to draft a RB at #1. Najee Harris if heís still on the board. This draft is deep with O-Line. I look for them to draft one in the 2nd round. If the Steelers can manage to get an effective running game going to help Ben the Steelers can be competitive again this season.
    9-7 .....10-6 maybe.
    Them going 1-5 without Dupree had nothing to do with their defense and everything to do with the horrendous O and play calling down the stretch. Not surprising they have a new OC this year.





  7. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    near Asheville, NC
    Posts
    24,462

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by footballfan View Post
    Agreed about Dupree. That one hurts. The Steelers went 1-5 after Dupree went out with the injury.
    Kicking the Cap can down the road has finally caught up as well.
    I look for the Steelers to draft a RB at #1. Najee Harris if he’s still on the board. This draft is deep with O-Line. I look for them to draft one in the 2nd round. If the Steelers can manage to get an effective running game going to help Ben the Steelers can be competitive again this season.
    9-7 .....10-6 maybe.
    I did a Fanspeak mock draft for the Steelers. No trades.

    1-24: CB Caleb Farley, Virginia Tech - what can you say, somebody falls in Rd 1 and he was it this time. This may allow the Steelers to jettison Steven Nelson.

    2-23: OT Dillon Radunz, ND St - my top need for the Steelers, aside from QB which didn't break their way this draft, is OT. Was not going past round 2 without one.

    3-23: WR Tamorrion Terry, Florida St - I figure if they can develop Chase Claypool, they can develop this guy. Lottery ticket but potential Pro Bowl WR.

    4-23: NT Tyler Shelvin, LSU - much like if I were drafting for the Ravens, I was happy to be able to get this guy so late. Replaces Alualu.

    4-35: G Sadarius Hutcherson, South Carolina - experience at LT and LG, would likely move inside at the NFL level.

    6-31: EDGE Janarius Robinson, Florida St - much like his teammate at Fla St, physical phenom that needs development. Some of the best measureables at the Senior Bowl.

    7-18: LB Riley Cole, South Alabama - oozes Steeler linebacker. Special teams ace. See-Robert Spillane.

    7-27: RB Ben Mason, Michigan - now hear me out... I know they have Derek Watt, but this guy is the best FB prospect to come out in a few years. I think he can play some HB too. Imagine a jumbo set with Mason, Watt and Benny Snell.

    What do you think FF? I know, no RB early but it looks like a Steelers draft





  8. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    11,001

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by footballfan View Post
    Agreed about Dupree. That one hurts. The Steelers went 1-5 after Dupree went out with the injury.
    Kicking the Cap can down the road has finally caught up as well.
    I look for the Steelers to draft a RB at #1. Najee Harris if he’s still on the board. This draft is deep with O-Line. I look for them to draft one in the 2nd round. If the Steelers can manage to get an effective running game going to help Ben the Steelers can be competitive again this season.
    9-7 .....10-6 maybe.
    You’d know more than I would, but I feel like the running problems were less about the running backs, and more about the line. Connor actually had success in previous years. But the line was just not opening any holes. All running backs not named Barry Sanders have problems running when there are no holes.

    Also, the quick passing game tends to keep defenses crowded around the box when they aren’t worried about Ben throwing deep.
    Last edited by HotInHere; 03-18-2021 at 08:24 AM.
    "Chin up, chest out."





  9. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    64,428
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by footballfan View Post
    Agreed about Dupree. That one hurts. The Steelers went 1-5 after Dupree went out with the injury.
    Kicking the Cap can down the road has finally caught up as well.
    I look for the Steelers to draft a RB at #1. Najee Harris if he’s still on the board. This draft is deep with O-Line. I look for them to draft one in the 2nd round. If the Steelers can manage to get an effective running game going to help Ben the Steelers can be competitive again this season.
    9-7 .....10-6 maybe.
    what about the center - upgrade or roll with Finney?

    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!





  10. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Posts
    2,296
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    I did a Fanspeak mock draft for the Steelers. No trades.

    1-24: CB Caleb Farley, Virginia Tech - what can you say, somebody falls in Rd 1 and he was it this time. This may allow the Steelers to jettison Steven Nelson.

    2-23: OT Dillon Radunz, ND St - my top need for the Steelers, aside from QB which didn't break their way this draft, is OT. Was not going past round 2 without one.

    3-23: WR Tamorrion Terry, Florida St - I figure if they can develop Chase Claypool, they can develop this guy. Lottery ticket but potential Pro Bowl WR.

    4-23: NT Tyler Shelvin, LSU - much like if I were drafting for the Ravens, I was happy to be able to get this guy so late. Replaces Alualu.

    4-35: G Sadarius Hutcherson, South Carolina - experience at LT and LG, would likely move inside at the NFL level.

    6-31: EDGE Janarius Robinson, Florida St - much like his teammate at Fla St, physical phenom that needs development. Some of the best measureables at the Senior Bowl.

    7-18: LB Riley Cole, South Alabama - oozes Steeler linebacker. Special teams ace. See-Robert Spillane.

    7-27: RB Ben Mason, Michigan - now hear me out... I know they have Derek Watt, but this guy is the best FB prospect to come out in a few years. I think he can play some HB too. Imagine a jumbo set with Mason, Watt and Benny Snell.

    What do you think FF? I know, no RB early but it looks like a Steelers draft
    WNC...On paper, I would be ok with that draft with the exception of no real RB. Fat Ben can no longer carry a the team with an average running game. Heís just not the same QB from years past. Benny Snell is a number 2 back. Average speed and poor instincts when hitting the holes.





  11. #47

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    Steelers CB Steven Nelson has requested a trade and Western PA is losing their minds. He is their #2 corner opposite e 32 yr old Haden. Already lost their nickel in Hilton, have a guy with very limited snaps taking over there.

    Nelson obviously is not happy with his contract and wants to find a team that will change that, Steelers are obviously not in a position to do that. But everything is great in Pittsburgh.





  12. #48

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    JuJu back to the Steelers. Had better offers from the Ravens and Chiefs.





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Link To Mobile Site
var infolinks_pid = 3297965; var infolinks_wsid = 0; //ó->