Page 1 of 80 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 960
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    near Asheville, NC
    Posts
    24,459

    State of the Steelers thread

    Year after year I've written the Steelers off only to see them make the playoffs. This includes the 2020 season, though they ran out of gas by December. Can they actually be competitive yet again in a division with the Ravens and Browns? And maybe even the Bengals if they don't get Joe Burrow killed behind that OL?

    Right now on the first actual day of free agency (3:17) the Steelers are under the cap, but not by much. So they've accomplished that by losing:

    Tyson Alualu (JAX)
    Bud Dupree (TEN)
    Matt Feiler (LAC)
    Mike Hilton (CIN)
    Vance McDonald (retired)
    Maurkice Pouncey (retired)
    Vince Williams (cut)

    They're still looking at losing, without making further cap adjustments:

    Jordan Berry
    James Conner
    Sean Davis
    Joshua Dobbs
    Jerald Hawkins
    JuJu Smith-Schuster
    Alejandro Villanueva
    Chris Wormley

    They were able to bring back:

    Marcus Allen
    Zach Banner
    BJ Finney
    JC Hassenauer
    Ray-Ray McLoud
    Cameron Sutton

    And finally, they've added from outside the organization:

    -zippo-
    Last edited by WNCRavensFan; 03-18-2021 at 12:57 AM.





  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    near Asheville, NC
    Posts
    24,459

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    This means right now you've got the following depth chart:

    QB - Ben Roethlisberger, Mason Rudolph, Dwayne Haskins

    RB - Benny Snell Jr, Anthony McFarland Jr, Jaylen Samuels, Trey Edmunds
    FB - Derek Watt

    LWR - Chase Claypool, Ray-Ray McCloud, Cody White
    RWR - Diontae Johnson, James Washington, Anthony Johnson
    TE - Eric Ebron, Zach Gentry, Charles Jones, Kevin Rader, Dax Raymond

    LT - Chukwuma Okorafor, Jarron Jones
    LG - Kevin Dotson, Brandon Walton
    C - JC Hassenauer, BJ Finney
    RG - David DeCastro, Aviante Collins
    RT - Zach Banner, Anthony Coyle, John Leglue

    DT - Cameron Heyward, Carlos Davis
    NT - Isaiah Buggs, Demarcus Christmas
    DE - Stephon Tuitt, Henry Mondeaux, Calvin Taylor Jr

    LOLB - TJ Watt, Olasunkanmi Adeniyi
    LILB - Devin Bush Jr, Robert Spillane, Tegray Scales
    RILB - Marcus Allen, Ulysses Gilbert III
    ROLB - Alex Highsmith

    LCB - Joe Haden, James Pierre, Trevor Williams
    FS - Minkah Fitzpatrick, Antoine Brooks Jr
    SS - Terrell Edmunds, John Battle
    RCB - Justin Layne, Steven Nelson, Stephen Denmark
    NB - Cameron Sutton

    K - Chris Boswell
    P - Corliss Waitman
    LS - Christian Kuntz

    signed
    resigned
    drafted
    reserve/futures
    Last edited by WNCRavensFan; 03-17-2021 at 03:59 AM.





  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    UK 🇬🇧
    Posts
    16,724
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    The Steelers have definitely downgraded their roster and will need a really good draft to be able to compete for the division. I will never write them off though, winning is just in their DNA.





  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wayne Manor, Gotham
    Posts
    48,169
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    It is weird that they brought Ben back but are at the same time trying this retool of the offensive line and defense. You would think they would address the RB position, probably with a high pick in the draft, and go for it 1 last time with Ben. You're seeing the Bucs do that right now. The Saints went to crazy lengths to keep things together for Brees. The Broncos had that last year with Peyton Manning. Instead Ben is going to see a lot of unfamiliar faces in his final year. Honestly they should consider trading up for a QB if they're looking to rebuild this much.





  5. #5

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Year after year I've written the Steelers off only to see them make the playoffs. This includes the 2020 season, though they ran out of gas by December. Can they actually be competitive yet again in a division with the Ravens and Browns? And maybe even the Bengals if they don't get Joe Burrow killed behind that OL?

    Right now on the first actual day of free agency (3:17) the Steelers are under the cap, but not by much. So they've accomplished that by losing:

    Tyson Alualu (JAX)
    Bud Dupree (TEN)
    Matt Feiler (LAC)
    Mike Hilton (CIN)
    Vance McDonald (retired)
    Maurkice Pouncey (retired)
    Vince Williams (cut)

    They're still looking at losing, without making further cap adjustments:

    Jordan Berry
    James Conner
    Sean Davis
    Joshua Dobbs
    Jerald Hawkins
    JuJu Smith-Schuster
    Chris Wormley

    They were able to bring back:

    Marcus Allen
    Zack Banner
    BJ Finney
    JC Hassenauer
    Ray-Ray McLoud
    Cameron Sutton

    And finally, they've added from outside the organization:

    -zippo-
    What about Al Villanueva ?





  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    64,425
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    They need an offensive tackle more than a RB so that should be their first round pick if the guy is there.

    I think they're fine with Ben, he always finds a way (when not injured).

    Losing Bud Dupree is huge, that one hurt

    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!





  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cub Hill, MD
    Posts
    8,265

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    You are judging the cake and it isn't even in the oven yet.

    A little perspective is in order here.

    Oh and by the way, the Ravens currently have no-one outside of Bowser capable of a pass rush. Which wasn't great last year.

    Lots of time for all teams until the bullets start flying in September.


    WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012





  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calvert County
    Posts
    17,212
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    I think the best case scenario for the Steelers this season is another hot start before fading down the stretch again. Whether that puts them in contention for the division, we'll see. Their defense should be stout but I don't think Ben's arm is going to be there for 16+ games especially once the weather turns. It wasn't last year and that usually doesn't change another year older.
    back on twitter

    "Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the manís preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52





  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cub Hill, MD
    Posts
    8,265

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I think the best case scenario for the Steelers this season is another hot start before fading down the stretch again. Whether that puts them in contention for the division, we'll see. Their defense should be stout but I don't think Ben's arm is going to be there for 16+ games especially once the weather turns. It wasn't last year and that usually doesn't change another year older.
    The only reason Ben is there for 2021 is because he has to be. The cap chickens finally came home to roost in Pittsburgh.


    WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012





  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    11,001

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    You are judging the cake and it isn't even in the oven yet.

    A little perspective is in order here.

    Oh and by the way, the Ravens currently have no-one outside of Bowser capable of a pass rush. Which wasn't great last year.

    Lots of time for all teams until the bullets start flying in September.
    Absolutely true. The one big difference is that the Steelers don't have a whole lot of flexibility in baking that cake. They're looking in their cupboard and there's an old can of Cheez Wiz, and they have $1.75 to go to the grocery store. Hard -- but not impossible -- to make an edible cake with that.
    "Chin up, chest out."





  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cub Hill, MD
    Posts
    8,265

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Absolutely true. The one big difference is that the Steelers don't have a whole lot of flexibility in baking that cake. They're looking in their cupboard and there's an old can of Cheez Wiz, and they have $1.75 to go to the grocery store. Hard -- but not impossible -- to make an edible cake with that.
    LOL. Touche'

    Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk


    WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012





  12. #12

    Re: State of the Steelers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    The only reason Ben is there for 2021 is because he has to be. The cap chickens finally came home to roost in Pittsburgh.
    That and Rudolph didn't develop into a prospect worth putting a lot of faith in.





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Link To Mobile Site
var infolinks_pid = 3297965; var infolinks_wsid = 0; //ó->