Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Revisiting the 2018 draft

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    I really think Queen is going to develop like his predecessor Devin White did. Judging by early returns, by year three the 2020 is going to look real good. Getting something more out of Duvernay and/or Proche would put it over the top.
    Rounds 3 - 7 are for picking players who develop in year 3. In the first 2 rounds you should aim to get production in all 4 years that you've drafted.

ILB is a hard position for rookies, that's one reason why I wouldn't draft one in the first. The other is that it's not the type of position you want to use the franchise tag on, or sign to a big extension, so you're losing all those first round advantages too. ILB is just a very hard position to get full value for a first round pick. The player needs to be an absolute superstar.

And before anyone says it. Yes, I know. Ray Lewis.

2. Re: Revisiting the 2018 draft

Quote Originally Posted by one eyed bird View Post
    Same thing they did years earlier at TE, with Dickerson and Pitta, same result second pick was the best of the two
    Also, they did the same thing (with similar results eventually) in 2015 by way of Maxx Williams & Nick Boyle. Additionally, they've been double-dipping at WR a lot lately, too — 3 consecutive drafts, in fact: Jaleel Scott + Jordan Lasley in 2018, Marquise Brown + Miles Boykin in 2019 & Devin Duvernay + James Proche in 2020, respectively. They do this more often than one might realize, especially recently, as there are plenty of examples at other positions as well, such as OL, DL & LB from approximately the past handful of years. I just don't feel like going through each instance, but it does tend to be a wise strategy incorporated by the front office — and one that typically ensures 1 of the 2 panning out, if not both players winding up being contributors. Jaleel & Jordan seem like the lone anomaly consisting of dual failures.
    Last edited by ⋔ 4 ℞ ℞ $; 03-07-2021 at 05:45 PM.

Yep they did it in the 1st and 3rd round this year with Queen and Harrison, must have really liked Harrison to use a 3rd on an ILB after just using a first on the same position, hopefully both turn into long term starters
    Quote Originally Posted by ⋔ 4 ℞ ℞ $ View Post
    Also, they did the same thing (with similar results eventually) in 2015 by way of Maxx Williams & Nick Boyle. Additionally, they've been double-dipping at WR a lot lately, too — 3 consecutive drafts, in fact: Jaleel Scott + Jordan Lasley in 2018, Marquise Brown + Miles Boykin in 2019 & Devin Duvernay + James Proche in 2020, respectively. They do this more often than one might realize, especially recently, as there are plenty of examples at other positions as well, such as OL, DL & LB from approximately the past handful of years. I just don't feel like going through each instance, but it does tend to be a wise strategy incorporated by the front office — and one that typically ensures 1 of the 2 panning out, if not both players winding up being contributors. Jaleel & Jordan seem like the lone anomaly consisting of dual failures.

You really need them developed and starting year 3 so you can get 2 years production from them, take Bowser for instance didn’t really develope till year 4 and now he’s a free agent, so we really had him for 4 years but only got one good year from him, sucks to see them develop late than leave and excellent for someone else (Ladarius Smith )
    Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Rounds 3 - 7 are for picking players who develop in year 3. In the first 2 rounds you should aim to get production in all 4 years that you've drafted.

ILB is a hard position for rookies, that's one reason why I wouldn't draft one in the first. The other is that it's not the type of position you want to use the franchise tag on, or sign to a big extension, so you're losing all those first round advantages too. ILB is just a very hard position to get full value for a first round pick. The player needs to be an absolute superstar.

And before anyone says it. Yes, I know. Ray Lewis.