Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Revisiting the 2018 draft

Just looking back at the 2018 draft class, I think sometimes we forget just how great this draft was for the Ravens and Ozzie's last draft as GM.

We managed to get a franchise QB, a top 5 TE, the best RT in the league who will go on to be a franchise LT for someone. Don't forget we also drafted Bozeman who has turned out pretty good at guard who could be better if he was moved to C, and Anthony Averrett who has proven to be a sticky coverage CB who would be a starter on most other teams in the league. That is 4 legit starters from that draft class.

I know EDC will take a 1st rd pick for OBJ if offered, but part of me wants us to keep OBJ for one more year just so we get a better chance at the superbowl with this draft class being the driving force behind it. Remember the 96 draft with Ray Lewis and JO which resulted in 2000, then the 2008 draft with Flacco and Rice which lead to 2012... hopefully history repeats its self again!

Blog Entries

Re: Revisiting the 2018 draft

The only blemish was Hayden Hurst who isnt a bad player or anything, but we could have taken someone else in hindsight, like Courtland Sutton for example! At least we did get a 2nd rd pick back for Hust though.

I forgot to mention DeShon Elliot, another solid starter.

JaIt was a fantastic final draft for Ozzie! He's one of the greats for sure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    The only blemish was Hayden Hurst who isnt a bad player or anything, but we could have taken someone else in hindsight, like Courtland Sutton for example! At least we did get a 2nd rd pick back for Hurst though.
    I was a BIG Sutton fan and even mocked him to us in our 2018 mock draft thread.
    Hurst was not (IMO) worthy of being the 25th pick. However we did make some trades that benefitted the Ravens, and then in 2020 received JK Dobbins for him. The Ravens still collected a pretty good haul surrounding his being drafted... Bc

The only blemish was Hayden Hurst who isnt a bad player or anything, but we could have taken someone else in hindsight, like Courtland Sutton for example! At least we did get a 2nd rd pick back for Hust though.

I never understood the Hurst pick. If we wanted Lamar we should have taken him right there. Losing who you want to be the qb for the next ten years because you wanted a TE that you prolly could of got in the second was super risky
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    I never understood the Hurst pick. If we wanted Lamar we should have taken him right there. Losing who you want to be the qb for the next ten years because you wanted a TE that you prolly could of got in the second was super risky
    That was pretty clearly a one last ride for Flacco pick

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

If you remember, Oz was gushing over getting Hurst, said he had targeted him. I don't question a HOF TE selecting another one but in this case most of us felt a little blah. At least we got the unicorn a few picks later.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

It was a risk but Ozzie read that draft correctly. Lamar was their prime target, as has become clear when they've talked about all conversations they had before drafting him etc, but they figured they could wait for him. It must have been nerve wracking watching those picks between 25 and 32 coming in. I admire their calm.

Just looking back at the 2018 draft class, I think sometimes we forget just how great this draft was for the Ravens and Ozzie's last draft as GM.
    The Ravens got 5 starters including a star QB, Seiler starts for Miami and Hurst for Atlanta. Kenny Young is a borderline starter for the Rams and Averett would be starting on about 50% of the league. Jaleel Scott and Jordan Lasley were the only misses. It was one of the best draft classes ever.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    It was a risk but Ozzie read that draft correctly. Lamar was their prime target, as has become clear when they've talked about all conversations they had before drafting him etc, but they figured they could wait for him. It must have been nerve wracking watching those picks between 25 and 32 coming in. I admire their calm.
    It just seems way to risky, if you wanted him that bad, why not just take him at 25 and if you really wanted Hurst trade back in at 32. I just dont get the risk of losing a franchise qb just to draft a TE that had 1300 yards and 4 TDs in 3 years in college
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

It just seems way to risky, if you wanted him that bad, why not just take him at 25 and if you really wanted Hurst trade back in at 32. I just dont get the risk of losing a franchise qb just to draft a TE that had 1300 yards and 4 TDs in 3 years in college
    Regardless of how many college TDs he had or whether he was a good pick, they thought Hurst would be gone before they picked again but they didn't think Lamar would be. They got that right.

Either Ozzie has more of a gambler's mentality than us or, after so many drafts, he's got used to watching his plans go up in smoke so he's just prepared to live with it.

If they'd known just how good Lamar was going to be, they would have picked him sooner no doubt but, at that stage they were just trying to draft as well as possible.

Yeah Ozzie nailed that draft for sure. We could have had (DJ Moore, Calvin Ridley or Sutton) and WR problem solved or aided too but it was his small blemish that year I suppose.

Everyone was hyped for Eric Decosta and his 1st draft but so far that Draft looks pretty grimm.

Hollywood has made an impact but every pick that followed has not.

Ferguson looks like a bust after two season
    Boykin looks like a bust outside of being a blocker
    Justice Hill doesnt look like anything great outside of special teams
    Rest of bunch, Iman Marshall, Mcsorely, Mack, Powers have seen some playing time but nothing great.