Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3 Down/9 To Go - by Tuesday 8/29

The Ravens went to a preview of the movie "Invincible"
    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...e.jsp?id=11815

[Hopefully the movie inspired some of them to play better in the last preseason games in order to take full advantage of what I consider a chance in a lifetime opportunity.]

The Ravens trimmed their roster down to 84 with the release of fullback B.J. Dean, offensive tackle Robin Meadow and wideout Tres Moses.
    [They are already gone from the website roster: http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...e.jsp?id=11815 ]

The Ravens have until next Tuesday to cut their roster down to a ceiling of 75 players, and then must be down to the league-mandated 53 on September 2.
    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...e.jsp?id=11812

You can go down the current roster and it is pretty easy to pick out 9 that will not make the 84 man cut on 8/29. Cutting down to the 53 man roster by 9/2 should be interesting. I am hopeful (but not delusional) that with the new coaches and improved talent on the squad this year, we will see more than one or two surprises of old faces being replaced by new young talent.

Blog Entries

Re: 3 Down/9 To Go - by Tuesday 8/29

Actually, they have to be at 65 by 8/29. So it's 19 to go.

53 by Sept. 2
    Admin Steve :uk:
    Screwing up Ravens message boards since 1999.

I heard Billick (I believe) on one of the sports talk shows say that the league made a change this year... and it is 75 not the usual 65. The article on the Ravens website confirmed the same. Time will tell...

The point is the same... finally we have some real competition at several positions to make the final 53 man roster interesting. As well as, who is designated to the Practice Squad (i.e. supplemental roster positions for the Browns, Bengals and Jags). I hope that Billick and the FO have learned a lesson that they can not hide talent on the PS. I'm not saying that we lost any ProBowlers there... just that other teams are watching & calling...
    Last edited by BA Ravens; 08-22-2006 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WinRavensWin
    I heard Billick (I believe) on one of the sports talk shows say that the league made a change this year... and it is 75 not the usual 65. The article on the Ravens website confirmed the same. Time will tell...
    I too heard that. I think it was a television interview prior to the Eagles game.

So now, who gets cut. Here are a few names I'm throwing out, who I think will be cut:
    Rob Abiamiri
    Remi Ayodele
    Brian Bratton
    Shannon James
    Michael Kracalik
    Steve Paris
    Rufus Skillern

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenatic20
    So now, who gets cut. Here are a few names I'm throwing out, who I think will be cut:
    Rob Abiamiri - TE
    Remi Ayodele - DT
    Brian Bratton - WR
    Shannon James - S
    Michael Kracalik - OT
    Steve Paris - S
    Rufus Skillern - WR
    I can not disagree with any... Even though Kracalik played terrible against the Eagles, he may surive until the next cut just because they need a live big body (6-8 / 337#) for drills - and one of the Safeties may survive for the same reason.

More importantly they need Crotchlick to play the second half of two more PS games. He won't be cut until 53...

Quote Originally Posted by WinRavensWin
    The point is the same... finally we have some real competition at several positions to make the final 53 man roster interesting. As well as, who is designated to the Practice Squad (i.e. supplemental roster positions for the Browns, Bengals, 49ers, and Jags). I hope that Billick and the FO have learned a lesson that they can not hide talent on the PS. I'm not saying that we lost any ProBowlers there... just that other teams are watching & calling...
    Fixed that for you. ;)

Dallas jacked a corner off our squad 2 years ago (I think) and he played nickle for them; but I don't know if he is still on their team.

That list of cuts will probably be very close to the actual one. Those 9 guys are nothing more than camp bodies. I personally think that our young lineman like Terry, Chester, and Brown need to play the rest of the game once the starters leave. They need reps to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave52

Dallas jacked a corner off our squad 2 years ago (I think) and he played nickle for them; but I don't know if he is still on their team.
    That was Lance Frazier who eventually got cut the next season. I remember the RAVENS saying they would have tried to keep him and maybe sign him to the active roster, but he never let them know he was signing with Dallas until he actually did.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave52
    Dallas jacked a corner off our squad 2 years ago (I think) and he played nickle for them; but I don't know if he is still on their team..
    Lance Frazier. Dallas was so beat up at CBs that he ended up starting a bunch of game. He didn't play particularly well, but then again, he was an UDFA thrown into a starting role in his rookie year.

I don't think he's with Dallas anymore, but I seem to recall that he had signed on somewhere else.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

I believe they tried to trade him back to us last season, but we didn't want to trade anything for him...

Here are the guys I see in danger in the next cut round...

Rob Abiamiri
    Remi Ayodele
    Bobby Blizzard
    Brian Bratton
    Romby Bryant
    Robb Butler
    Jimmy Cottrell
    Robert Droege
    Dennis Haley
    Shannon James
    Mike Kracalik
    Nick Leaders
    Evan Oglesby
    Steve Paris
    Kyle Roper
    Landon Schrage
    Rufus Skillern
    Thatcher Szalay
    Benard Thomas
    Duvol Thompson

So, roughly half that group would be gone. I'd say we're likely to keep Szalay, Schrage, Oglesby, Kracalik, Haley, Droege, Cottrell, Bratton, and Bryant. Two others will slip in with them.

Also, here are some suprise ones I would explain...

Roderick Green - seems that the team is no longer so high on him. Could be cut to give him a chance to catch on somewhere else.

Tim Johnson - his big comeback doesn't sound like it's getting off the ground. If he wants to try for a different team, we could cut him here. Or we could keep him on until 53 man cutdown.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Tim Johnson - his big comeback doesn't sound like it's getting off the ground. If he wants to try for a different team, we could cut him here. Or we could keep him on until 53 man cutdown.
    Not sure why you would say this? Johnson was brought in as a ST ace and so far he has done a good job in the first 2 games with a couple of tackles.

Blog Entries

Well, I guess they could keep 2 LB/ST aces, but I think Gary Stills is winning that battle for the moment...

I see us keeping 6-7 LBs total. AD, Bart, and Ray are the starting 3. Cody, Mike Smith, and Gary Stills make 6. Last spot would be between LaCasse and Tim Johnson.

Maybe his comeback isn't a failure, but he's nowhere near a lock for the 53 man cutdown.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!