Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Ravens to Propose New Overtime Rules

Honestly I think this is a bad idea. It's further and further away from the way the game is played than what they have now.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ime-procedure/

The overtime rules are poised for a potential shakeup far more intriguing than a simple reversion to true sudden death.

Per multiple sources with knowledge of the situation, the Ravens will be proposing a pair of overtime procedures premised on the concept of “spot and choose.”

It works like this: One team picks the spot of the ball to start overtime, and the other team chooses whether to play offense or defense.

If the one team picks, for example, the offense’s own 20 yard line, the opponent would then choose whether to play offense from their own 20 or to play defense, with the other team having the ball on its own 20. This would minimize greatly the impact of the coin toss; under this proposal, the coin toss would be used only to give the team that wins the toss the right to pick the spot of the ball (along with the end zone to be defended) or to choose offense or defense.

Under one of the two proposals to be made by the Ravens, overtime would proceed in sudden-death fashion, with the first score by either team ending the game and up to 10 minutes of extra time. (If the game remains tied at that point, the game’s outcome would be a tie.) Under the other proposal (favored, we’re told, by Patriots coach Bill Belichick), the game would continue for another seven minutes and 30 seconds, without a sudden-death component. Whoever leads after the extra time has ended would be the winner. (Again, if the game remains tied after the extra session, the game’s outcome would be a tie.)

Re: Ravens to Propose New Overtime Rules

It's interesting for sure. Id rather just make sure both sides get the ball and a chance to score. Say ravens get the ball first and score a TD, chiefs get the ball score a TD. Then just keep going

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Blog Entries

Keep it as is and stop messing with a great game. I still want them to move the extra point back to the 2 yard line for a chip shot.

I'm not sure why everyone wants to make this so complicated.

Give each team one possession starting at their own 20. Eliminate kickoffs in OT entirely

If game still tied after that it goes to sudden death

Blog Entries

Michael David Smith proposed this in 2003 when he wrote for Football Insiders. He explains the logic here:
    https://www.footballoutsiders.com/ra...overtime-pizza

My geometry teacher once asked me how I could divide a pizza between two hungry people to ensure that neither person could complain he didn't get a fair share. I thought the answer had something to do with the radius of the pizza or pi, but the right answer was much simpler: Just have one person cut the pizza into what he thinks are two even pieces, then let the other person choose his piece.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Seems too convoluted for me. I think OT is in a pretty okay spot since a FG on the initial drive doesn't end it. Defense is still part of the game (for now lol).
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Michael David Smith proposed this in 2003 when he wrote for Football Insiders. He explains the logic here:
    https://www.footballoutsiders.com/ra...overtime-pizza

My geometry teacher once asked me how I could divide a pizza between two hungry people to ensure that neither person could complain he didn't get a fair share. I thought the answer had something to do with the radius of the pizza or pi, but the right answer was much simpler: Just have one person cut the pizza into what he thinks are two even pieces, then let the other person choose his piece.
    My dad used that method when my brother and I had to split something. Brother still bitched.

Just do what PurplePill said: one possession for each, followed by sudden death if necessary. It's not rocket surgery.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

I love it if only for that fact that it would give us a potential edge over teams that don't pay attention to analytics.

RWT gets at another benefit of it though. You can't really complain that overtime was unfair if you had the opportunity to decide on the conditions.

The only way this is broken if there is an matchup where team A doesn't feel they have a good chance to stop team B's offense even if it has to start on its own 1 yard line. Then team A won't feel that it has a good choice of where to spot the yardage.

I'd rather see the NFL replicate college overtime procedures with the exception of moving the starting position so it's outside of field goal range.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Seems too convoluted for me. I think OT is in a pretty okay spot since a FG on the initial drive doesn't end it. Defense is still part of the game (for now lol).
    I think it might be less convoluted than the current system where

Old System:
    Toss a coin to determine who get the ball 1st. A TD on the first possession ends the game, but not a field goal. For the 2nd possession if the other team scored a field goal on the first possession than a TD wins the game, a FG means sudden death from that point forward, and not scoring means you lose. If the other team failed to score on the 1st possession than the 2nd possession is sudden death.

Proposed New System:
    Toss a coin to see who picks the starting position. Team A picks the spot. Team B picks offense or defense. Sudden death.

This proposal seems too radical for the NFL to okay it.

Best case for the Ravens, it would be tested in a game that doesn't count.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I have long thought just continuing the game with whoever has the ball continuing with it from the down and distance at the end of the 4th quarter. 5 minutes, sudden death, no stoppage, no extra time outs. Just up to 5 extra minutes to score or stop the other team, get the ball back and score.

This would ensure the games didn't continue on very long, especially for a team playing on Sunday with a Thursday game upcoming.