I came across this picture of an early design for the now-M&T Bank Stadium from 1993.

I admit I'm a huge nerd when it comes to sports stadiums. They just fascinate me to no end.

This of course was when Baltimore was in the running for the NFL Expansion; in an alternate universe somewhere, this would have been the home of the Baltimore Bombers.

I do have to ask whether anyone else agrees with me that I actually like this design a little bit better than the final product? I don't know what it is, but I just like the sloping lines of the upper deck tapering down towards the end zones. The final design chose to break up the upper deck into segments; I think this was meant to give a view of the skyline in the breaks, but I don't know how much of an effect it actually gives.

I see a little bit of an influence from Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City here. I'm almost pretty sure that they ended up taking elements from this design for Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte and Empower Field (the new Mile High) in Denver.

Anyways, I thought it was a cool find.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tommy_Carcetti; 03-03-2021 at 06:05 PM.

Re: I came across this picture of an early design for the now-M&T Bank Stadium from 1993.

In contrast, the final product:

Blog Entries

Re: I came across this picture of an early design for the now-M&T Bank Stadium from 1993.

that's pretty cool but the pic looks like it's from the 1930's

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I thought the same thing. If it wasn't for the interstate and OPACY, I'd be expecting Model Ts driving around.
    "Chin up, chest out."

First pic looks like the Bucs first home...the big sombrero

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Thought the same, except a 30s football stadium looks like a modern high school field.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Who was using black and white film in 1993?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Carcetti View Post

, this would have been the home of the Baltimore Bombers.
    And right now we would be known as The Baltimore Football Team if we had...
    "Once a Raven, always a Raven" - Q

Blog Entries

The picture looks like it's from a newspaper (hence B&W) and the quality is pretty on par with a newspaper from 1993. Cool picture though.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    The picture looks like it's from a newspaper (hence B&W) and the quality is pretty on par with a newspaper from 1993. Cool picture though.
    Yeah, I think it was an old scan from The Sun. I recall there being a color version of clearer quality but haven't been able to come across it.

I wonder if they actually had some architectural blueprints on it or whether it was simply just that one concept picture.

Still thought it was ironic to see in The Sum of All Fears (which came out after M&T Bank Stadium opened) where they had superimposed a domed stadium in the exact place where the actual stadium was.

I guess they wanted to reassure us that it was simply the alternate universe Baltimore that got bombed in that movie and not the real one.