Page 1 of 17 123 ... LastLast

the need for a WR is a red herring

if the Ravens want a shot at a SB they will need to get past KC first. The biggest needs are pass rush, OL and WR. I would say the WR is the least needed. if they can reduce dropped passes, incorporate proche and duvenery into the passing game and scheme for a passing game they should be fine. As we watched the Ravens games last year, there were several blow out wins. we would be yelling at the TV to practice the passing game.

Mahomes is damn near unstoppable. the Bucs showed how to beat Mahomes and that with is an excellent pass rush. its hard to say how much of the Buc's success was their pass rush or KC's tackles being hurt.

hell even under duress Mahomes still almost made some spectacular plays. Hill should have caught the first ball in the end zone.

therefore, i would propose that in the draft and FA the Ravens should emphasize pass rush, pass rush and pass rush. if we lose Judon like expected i don't see how we get past KC. It doesn't seem like Ngakoue took to the coaching and Ferguson, aka sack daddy, is a miss.

Wink may be good but he is not Houdini.

Re: the need for a WR is a red herring

Quote Originally Posted by 52N19 View Post
    if the Ravens want a shot at a SB they will need to get past KC first. The biggest needs are pass rush, OL and WR. I would say the WR is the least needed. if they can reduce dropped passes, incorporate proche and duvenery into the passing game and scheme for a passing game they should be fine. As we watched the Ravens games last year, there were several blow out wins. we would be yelling at the TV to practice the passing game.

Mahomes is damn near unstoppable. the Bucs showed how to beat Mahomes and that with is an excellent pass rush. its hard to say how much of the Buc's success was their pass rush or KC's tackles being hurt.

hell even under duress Mahomes still almost made some spectacular plays. Hill should have caught the first ball in the end zone.

therefore, i would propose that in the draft and FA the Ravens should emphasize pass rush, pass rush and pass rush. if we lose Judon like expected i don't see how we get past KC. It doesn't seem like Ngakoue took to the coaching and Ferguson, aka sack daddy, is a miss.

Wink may be good but he is not Houdini.
    You're absolutely right. With Campbell, BW and Wolfe that DL isnt getting any pressure either. Bowser,McPhee and a rookie aren't going to cut it.
    The only way they're going to be able to get pressure is to blitz and we've seen how that turns out.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

I'd put O-line above both of them. The defense played really well in the playoffs, and the offense not much.

Finally someone that has been paying attention

For me its 1) OL 2) WR 3) pass rush. I dont think your really going to stop KC unless they just have an off game ie the Super Bowl. We have to be able to put points up just like them and we have failed to really do that in the playoffs. We need to get Lamar elite protection. Ill beat this horse all off-season, give me Corey Davis and Corey Linsley in FA and draft a replacement for OBJ (vera-tucker) and let him play RG this year. OL has to be the number one priority, just because Lamar can escape insane pocket collapses doesnt mean we shouldn't aim to protect him. Give him elite protect and he will rip apart defenses lick his mvp year
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    For me its 1) OL 2) WR 3) pass rush. I dont think your really going to stop KC unless they just have an off game ie the Super Bowl. We have to be able to put points up just like them and we have failed to really do that in the playoffs. We need to get Lamar elite protection. Ill beat this horse all off-season, give me Corey Davis and Corey Linsley in FA and draft a replacement for OBJ (vera-tucker) and let him play RG this year. OL has to be the number one priority, just because Lamar can escape insane pocket collapses doesnt mean we shouldn't aim to protect him. Give him elite protect and he will rip apart defenses lick his mvp year
    I would put pass rush #2 because after Judon and Yannick walk with a DL of Campbell, BW and Wolfe there won't be one.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Great post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Re: the need for a WR is a red herring

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Great post!

Stack the trenches.

Because counting on young drafted WR's has worked out so good for the last 8 years, but this time it will work! If you just believe hard enough it will finally work!

Duvernay getting a shot to replace Snead in the slot is fine by me. Proche? C'mon. He's going to get an opportunity to earn playing time but actually counting on him is crazy. He's a 25 year old 2nd year 6th round pick that couldn't even hold down a PR job.

Yes, OL is the top priority.

No, the Ravens don't need Allen Robinson or Kenny Golladay.

Yes, they need to prioritize getting a veteran X receiver in the realm of Corey Davis, Marvin Jones, or AJ Green

10. Re: the need for a WR is a red herring

Mostly agree with OP.

1) It looks like the Ravens are likely to lose at least one edge. That won't make the defense better. I'd assume that the 1st round pick would be an edge.

2) The biggest problem is OL, and I would think that the way to solve that is to spend money on top quality NFL veteran starting Center.

3) With WR, I didn't see any flaws in WR in the playoff loss to the Bills that caused the loss. The Ravens are a run first team who really doesn't benefit from having a whole bunch of WRs out there at the same time. The Ravens aren't due to lose WRs this offseason, they have one WR that Lamar seems to like a lot, who has done well, Hollywood, they have Boykin, who is maybe medium good, clearly some think he is bad. There is also Snead and Duvernay (I like 42 yard outside runs) and Proche. I think there's enough there, and I'm not really looking to replace good run blockers with more small speedy passing choices.

However, if you look at the playoff loss to the Bills, you will find that there were issues with the Ravens not having enough truly big targets in the Red Zone, in the End Zone. My solution to a lack of BIG TARGET is not WR, but BIG TE or BIG OL/TE. When the only big target out there is Mark Andrews, he gets double or triple teamed, and the Ravens throw it at him anyway, because, unless Lamar is running the ball in for a TD (not a bad idea, maybe it's something that the Ravens should plan to do, especially in the playoffs), throwing it to the BIG guy is what you do, and Andrews was what the Ravens had last year, and he's good. So, instead of WR, I'm saying BIG TE. And, again, 6'9 320 OL/TE Spencer Brown or Drew Himmelman are the guys I want, Brown is a day 2 probably, Himmelman is a day 3. And, if you're looking not for OL with special skills like having TE on the high school resume, but someone who actually played TE in college, Tony Poljan, Virginia, 6'7 265, who had 6 TD catches last year. But that's the general idea. BIG RED ZONE THREAT, but not that 6'7 230 thin basketball type, the blocking type. You don't need that guy to catch a short pass and run for a 65 yard TD. That might be Andrews or Brown or Duvernay. You just need BIG in the End Zone.

Playoffs, pass to Andrews in the end zone, covered by so many that Lamar couldn't keep track of all the defenders, throws it anyway, pass intercepted, returned for 101 yards, TD and it's 17-3 and not 10-10. You put a 6'9 giant out there who can catch the short pass, maybe it goes to the giant, maybe to Andrews, but, you've got a better chance that it's not intercepted and returned for 101 yards. There was also Tyler Huntley to Andrews that went off his hands and was incomplete on 4th down in the 4th Q. Those were the problems I saw, and 6'9 OL/TE or 6'7 TE might be an answer.

So when it comes to offense, don't follow the trends of what the best teams all had in common, don't play copycat, just double down on the running game and focus on what we already do well, don't mold after the Bucs #2 pass offense in any way shape or form, because we can win a Super Bowl running more than everyone else

But on defense.... follow the trends of what works, play copycat to the Bucs defense, focus less on what Wink's defense specializes in (blitzing), because we can't win a Super Bowl blitzing more than everyone else because it's not what the Bucs did, being different only works on offense

The arguments just never seem to line up

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    Because counting on young drafted WR's has worked out so good for the last 8 years, but this time it will work! If you just believe hard enough it will finally work!

Duvernay getting a shot to replace Snead in the slot is fine by me. Proche? C'mon. He's going to get an opportunity to earn playing time but actually counting on him is crazy. He's a 25 year old 2nd year 6th round pick that couldn't even hold down a PR job.

Yes, OL is the top priority.

No, the Ravens don't need Allen Robinson or Kenny Golladay.

Yes, they need to prioritize getting a veteran X receiver in the realm of Corey Davis, Marvin Jones, or AJ Green
    Agree, replacing Snead’s “spot” with a reasonable upgrade in the ballpark you suggest is a perfectly weighted reaction to last year. We can’t count on Boykin.