Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: the need for a WR is a red herring

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of OZ View Post

We can actually pay Allen Robinson or a Golladay, but we would have to cut Brandon Williams and we all know what that looks like. So it's a question of what headache do you want? This is no escape from having to hurt somewhere given the current money situation. Where do you want to hurt? And mind you we are not even talking about the possibility of losing all of our edge guys with the exception of McPhee and Ferguson. YIKES
    I commonly see things to the effect of this said here but just a friendly reminder to everyone reading that it is not remotely true.

I'll say this. Of the two I would prefer Davis (prefer the youth). I don't mind Davis at around 12 mil a year, but nothing more than that.
    12 is my prediction of what he signs for. But no telling what's going to happen in this FA

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by usmccharles; 03-07-2021 at 05:18 AM.
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

3. Re: the need for a WR is a red herring

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    I commonly see things to the effect of this said here but just a friendly reminder to everyone reading that it is not remotely true.
    I'll be honest I'm just projecting and am most likely wrong on the projection, however, I'm just thinking one of those guys + Thuney/Linsley for OL + at least bringing back Bowser, McPhee, Ward. To me that says money will be tight without at least a restructure or cut. And then there's the context for the Lamar Jackson extension, which doesn't have to be imminent but it will start becoming a factor. But again, I'm just projecting and really haven't looked at all the numbers. Bowser actually is more concerning because there are personnel on staffs with a lot more money that are familiar with him (Jags, Jets). He could possibly get paid more from other teams than he can get here.
    Last edited by The Wizard of OZ; 03-07-2021 at 10:54 AM.

Blog Entries

I'll be honest I'm just projecting and am most likely wrong on the projection, however, I'm just thinking one of those guys + Thuney/Linsley for OL + at least bringing back Bowser, McPhee, Ward. To me that says money will be tight without at least a restructure or cut. And then there's the context for the Lamar Jackson extension, which doesn't have to be imminent but it will start becoming a factor. But again, I'm just projecting and really haven't looked at all the numbers. Bowser actually is more concerning because there are personnel on staffs with a lot more money that are familiar with him (Jags, Jets). He could possibly get paid more from other teams than he can get here.
    Ok but in this scenario you are adding a high priced guard, now it does get very hard. But then you should frame it as ‘getting an Allen Robinsons probably means no Thuney or Linsley’. And tbh they actually could do it all if they went scorched earth Saints management but I’m not a proponent of that extreme style of cap management. However, in an ideal world absolutely give me an Allen Robinson over a guard or C who, while important, will not have even close to the singular impact of a player like Robinson. But it isn’t an ideal world and I don’t see Robinson, or the two guys behind him in Godwin and Golloday, becoming available. If we’re shopping for the Corey Davis types of the world then I think the draft is likely a better route as I see guys like Davis getting way overpaid for their skill set. The only players I really think you should go after hard in free agency, and potentially overpay, are types with all-pro potential like a Thuney or Robinson.

Blog Entries

The need @ WR is difficult to determine because we don't even know the ones we have. This is due to their underutilization. For instance...

from baltomoreravens.com :

" The fact that Devin Duvernay was targeted just 26 times as a rookie last season (never more than three times in a game) tells me we haven't begun to see the full extent of what he can produce. Ramping up his targets should be a high offensive priority in 2021. "

from baltimorebeatdown.com :

" The Baltimore Ravens traded up to select wide receiver James Proche out of SMU in the sixth round of the 2020 NFL Draft. The Ravens clearly valued Proche, as they gave up a 2021 fifth-round pick to move up to draft him. It was honestly surprising that Proche was still on the board in the sixth round. He was extremely productive at SMU. As a junior, he had 93 receptions for 1,199 yards and 12 touchdowns. He then topped those numbers in his senior season with 111 receptions for 1,225 yards and 15 touchdowns. He is an excellent route runner and has great hands. Many draft experts took notice. In fact, Daniel Jeremiah of NFL Network stated that Proche had the best hands in the entire draft class.

However, Proche rarely saw the field as a rookie, which is still puzzling. The Ravens were actively searching for help at the wide receiver position, but Proche was only targeted three times last season and played a total of 25 offensive snaps. "

Apparently DeCosta and Co. thought highly enough of these two, spending a 3rd on Duvernay and trading a 5th to move up and select Proche. I wonder if Harbaugh and/or Roman can explain? ... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    The need @ WR is difficult to determine because we don't even know the ones we have. This is due to their underutilization. For instance...

" The fact that Devin Duvernay was targeted just 26 times as a rookie last season (never more than three times in a game) tells me we haven't begun to see the full extent of what he can produce. Ramping up his targets should be a high offensive priority in 2021. "

" The Baltimore Ravens traded up to select wide receiver James Proche out of SMU in the sixth round of the 2020 NFL Draft. The Ravens clearly valued Proche, as they gave up a 2021 fifth-round pick to move up to draft him. It was honestly surprising that Proche was still on the board in the sixth round. He was extremely productive at SMU. As a junior, he had 93 receptions for 1,199 yards and 12 touchdowns. He then topped those numbers in his senior season with 111 receptions for 1,225 yards and 15 touchdowns. He is an excellent route runner and has great hands. Many draft experts took notice. In fact, Daniel Jeremiah of NFL Network stated that Proche had the best hands in the entire draft class.

However, Proche rarely saw the field as a rookie, which is still puzzling. The Ravens were actively searching for help at the wide receiver position, but Proche was only targeted three times last season and played a total of 25 offensive snaps. "

Apparently DeCosta and Co. thought highly enough of these two, spending a 3rd on Duvernay and trading a 5th to move up and select Proche. I wonder if Harbaugh and/or Roman can explain? ... Bc
    Every year we hear about the next break out WR for the ravens. Forgive me for having a massive amount of skepticism about it ever actually working. About 1/80 success rate at this point. I hope Divernay takes the next step but I ain’t skimping on a WR because of it. If Duvernay is going to be a star he will force his way into targets regardless of whether they add a high end WR.

7. Re: the need for a WR is a red herring

It seems like a great idea to get 30 new players at $10 Million a year, but the money for that isn't there.

Sure, a new WR.

But before that, a new Center, a new Right Guard, a new Left Guard, proven good, NFL vets. If O Brown was to go away, then a new Right Tackle, too.

Then, after that, a new WR.

I don't think we get all 3 new Oliners, so I don't think we get an expensive new WR.

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    It seems like a great idea to get 30 new players at $10 Million a year, but the money for that isn't there.

Sure, a new WR.

But before that, a new Center, a new Right Guard, a new Left Guard, proven good, NFL vets. If O Brown was to go away, then a new Right Tackle, too.

Then, after that, a new WR.

I don't think we get all 3 new Oliners, so I don't think we get an expensive new WR.
    Keep hearing things like that. Let's trade Zeus Jr. and pick #27 to move up and get a wideout or TE just totally ignoring a replacement for their second best lineman and starting RT and Edge. This is after the FO has said improving the OL Is priority #1. Mahomes had lots of targets during the Superbowl but it didn't seem to do him much good.
    Getting an Allen Robinson would be awesome but not if.it means eating up all their cap space and filling every other area of need with a Jag

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

" The Baltimore Ravens traded up to select wide receiver James Proche out of SMU in the sixth round of the 2020 NFL Draft. The Ravens clearly valued Proche, as they gave up a 2021 fifth-round pick to move up to draft him. It was honestly surprising that Proche was still on the board in the sixth round..."
    I'm sure the Ravens value all their draft picks and UDFA players but I don't think trading up for Proche in the 6th indicates that they value him more then any other 6th round/UDFA.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post

I think Harbaugh and Roman's answer would be obvious but unpopular.

Their offense is run centric by design and they use the QB as a major part of the run centric approach.
    The trade off to a high volume run game is a low volume pass game.
    There are only so many passes to go around in this passing game.

Duvernay's low targets are the results of:

-low volume pass offense
    -Duvernay is a raw rookie that needs development as a route runner and the abnormal offseason hindered the development of rookie players
    -as a slot WR he's playing behind a productive and veteran

Also, Boykin suffers from the same underutilization you mention in regards to Duvernay and Proche.
    Boykin, despite being vilified by handful of posters was a productive player based on his opportunity.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    I don't think trading up for Proche in the 6th indicates that they value him more then any other 6th round/UDFA.
    DeCosta traded a 2021 5th round draft choice to take Proche in the 6th in 2020. Apparently he felt somewhat strongly about Proche's talent at (what many have already stated) WR. So IMO we did value him higher than his draft status... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    Keep hearing things like that. Let's trade Zeus Jr. and pick #27 to move up and get a wideout or TE just totally ignoring a replacement for their second best lineman and starting RT and Edge. This is after the FO has said improving the OL Is priority #1. Mahomes had lots of targets during the Superbowl but it didn't seem to do him much good.
    Getting an Allen Robinson would be awesome but not if.it means eating up all their cap space and filling every other area of need with a Jag

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
    Literally no one has suggested this.