Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Wrong About/Right About: Ravens Draft Edition

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    I remember the reaction to that pairing being overwhelmingly positive. On the old Ravens board we mocked Arthur Brown to the Ravens heavily that year, he was definitely a draft darling for many of us.

Elam was a bit more dicey, some people liked Cyprien more... but for the most part everybody got on board with him and was happy with the pick.

I was a big Elam guy. Saw him like a modern day Tyrann Mathieu (minus the versatility). Undersized scrapper that didn't necessarily look the part in the NFL but would just be a damn good football player
    I really wanted Cyprien then. Always thought size would come to bite us with Elam.
    Also wanted Mathieu when he came out.
    Was right on Jimmy too.

Dead wrong on A Brown too, S Kindle too.
    Wasn't sold on Lamar until I saw him playing starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    you're not alone. There were several posters who hated it the first year while Flacco was still on the team, and trashed the pick. I notice they love it now.
    The fanbase was divided to be honest. You kind of had the old guard that wanted to stand by Flacco, remind everybody of his postseason work in 2011, 2012, 2014, and basically just acknowledge that he had been playing with terrible offensive talent for a long time and it wasn't his fault (Which was true to an extent).

Then you had the new guard that still loved Joe but saw it as time to move on. Lamar was the antithesis of Joe. Young, hungry, off the charts athletic, fire in his belly to win a championship. We were willing to go through the growing pains early for the long term payoff.

The people that booed Lamar in the playoff game in 2018 still bother me to this day. As Kenneth Dixon said on twitter "That man gave us life". Lamar dragged an abysmal offense on his back at 21 years old and people still hated him for not accomplishing more in what was supposed to be a redshirt year

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    I always was a huge fan of Bowser and he was the main guy I wanted in the draft. I was stoked. At the time I was mainly active on the old BR.com forum.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Same here. Wonder how many people from back then are still active on here, we definitely had a hell of a community and a ton of draft analysis/mocking, fun times

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    McPhee arguably succeeded over the long haul
    I would say his $40M deal in Chicago would agree (Which was a lot at the time, 143M cap at the time)

He was a contract year hero but definitely was a success considering he was a 5th round pick

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    McPhee arguably succeeded over the long haul
    My bad. I meant to put McPhee in the pile of guys I thought would succeed and they did.

Maybe I should have put Za'Darius in the third pile bc I always thought he was just a guy, and he become much, much more.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Was that the Hard Knocks effect? Dwayne Missouri received a lot of camera time and surprisingly made the team. Then POOF! He was gone and never seen on the Ravens again. I had never heard of him until Hard Knocks but 20 years later I still remember him because of that show
    You may be right. Do I have the right guy? I recall an edge rusher they drafted I think in the seventh round and he looked really good in preseason, and they traded him, I want to say to the Colts, And then I lost track. Was that Missouri? Now I'm doubting my memory.'
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    Same here. Wonder how many people from back then are still active on here, we definitely had a hell of a community and a ton of draft analysis/mocking, fun times
    Yea, it was definitely more of a family friendly setup due to it being directly linked to the team. I do know a lot went over to PurpleFlock for a bit, as did I, but the setup just wasn't very appealing to me

Some guys I remember from there: truth, ravensmania, bmorebird

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

The biggest whiff for me was Arthur Brown. I still don't understand how he didn't succeed. He must have stopped caring.

I was the right on Correa. I still don't understand how an undersized OLB, with mediocre athletic ability and production at Boise state, was a second-round pick. Can anyone explain what the front office saw in him.

Quote Originally Posted by ravens1991 View Post
    The biggest whiff for me was Arthur Brown. I still don't understand how he didn't succeed. He must have stopped caring.

I was the right on Correa. I still don't understand how an undersized OLB, with mediocre athletic ability and production at Boise state, was a second-round pick. Can anyone explain what the front office saw in him.
    "eXpLoSiVe fIrSt sTeP"

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    Right about:
    Tim Williams- hated the pick. Hated that draft class period for that matter. Wanted ju ju or cooper kupp
    Chris wormley - hated the pick. Wanted cooper Kupp after they screwed up and didn’t pick JU ju schuster.
    Tyusbowser- hated majority of the picks in this draft. Wanted ju ju Schuster all the way. I did throw the tv remote at the wall on this pick.

Kamalei Correa: had no idea who he was when they made the pick. Wanted Yannick ngkaue

Breshard Permian: hated the pick the moment it was made. Wanted devin funches or jalen strong. None of them were any good but at least I was still right. Perriman sucks.
    I’d still rather seen devin funches as the pick.

Wrong about
    Marlon Humphrey: I wanted TJ Watt. So I can’t say I’m totally wrong here because marlon is great player but I still would have rather the pick been TJ Watt. Just think he’s more impactful and the ravens have zero pass rush at the moment.

Hayden hurst. Hated the pick. wanted DJ Moore & Calvin Ridley second.
    Hurst ended up being better than I expected but I’d still rather Moore or Ridley no matter what.

Here we are 4 drafts later and I’m still clamoring for a legit #1 WR so I’m used to being let down on draft day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm with you on Wormley. Was pissed they passed on Godwin for him.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Notable picks I was right about:

Humphrey (go back to when he was drafted I even created a thread about how he was the right pick, due to the mood being down about the pick at the time, I even remember a post from the sword saying that John Ross was going to burn him on a regular basis LOL).

Stanley

Lamar (although I wasn't exactly a cheer leader for him at the time, just knew he was gonna be a baller)

CJ Mosley

Correa (Just didn't have a great feeling at where he'd end up fitting)

Picks I was wrong about:

Matt Elam

Arthur Brown (Damn that draft SUCKED)

Boykin (Thought he'd be a #1)

Mark Andrews (I didn't like the pick)

Hayden Hurst (I thought he'd be what Andrews has been so got them the wrong way round, it is a shame we are not going to have the benefit of giving Andrews the 5th year option as he should have been picked where Hurst was picked in hindsight!)

Thats just off the top of my head. If you want to really go back I was right about Jimmy being a great corner, but dead wrong on King Serg being the next Suggs !
    Oh man. Sword hated that Humphrey pick so much. He was livid they didn't get OJ Howard.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Apparently the Ravens said, "Show Me!" but he couldn't.
    Good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    Chris Moore- Thought his tape was lackluster and he didn't impress me as a route runner. Just really puzzling why Harbaugh would sing his praises at times. Makes me think Harbaugh doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to receiver.
    Is THAT the only thing that makes you think Harbs doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to receiver?!?

I thought Harbs has mainly sung Moore's praises as a spec-teamer. Which would be fully, completely justified: Moore has been an OUTSTANDING spec-teamer.