Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wrong About/Right About: Ravens Draft Edition

Which Ravens draft picks were you right about all along and who made you eat your words (for better or for worse)?

Right About:

- Lamar Jackson: Was always a believer, wanted him at #16 and nearly threw my remote through my TV on the Hurst pick at #25

- Marlon Humphrey: Thought he was a top 10 talent, never understood the initial underwhelmed reaction to the pick

- JK Dobbins: Loved that pick, was an early defender when people questioned taking a RB high

- Kamalei Correa: Hated the pick, wanted Myles Jack and had an onslaught of people telling me Jack would be done in 3 years and Correa was a stud

- Bronson Kaufusi: See Correa, hated the pick, he never impressed me on tape at BYU

- Hollywood Brown: Was always a believer, even when people called him a midget, fetus, ect. and bashed the hell out of the pick for his size

- Darren Waller: One of my draft crushes, thought he had massive potential but that wasn't really the Ravens fault because of the drug issues

- Miles Boykin: I'll add him tentatively as he's trending towards a bust and I never liked that pick to begin with

- Deshon Elliott: Another draft crush, was quick to defend him as a potential starter after the Earl Thomas release

Wrong About:

- Breshad Perriman: I liked the pick a lot at the time, thought he would be a stud, his highs are still spectacular, just not consistent at all

- Tim Williams: Thought he was a steal in the 3rd, really saw him having a solid career

- Maxx Williams: Was thrilled to get him where we did, consensus top TE, thrilling college tape

- Kenneth Dixon: Draft crush, thought he was a hidden gem

- Matt Elam: Had such great college tape, great tackler, what the hell happened with him in the NFL... don't think he was mentally ready

- Arthur Brown: Was overjoyed to get him in the 2nd, another guy with really good college tape that just never figured it out at the next level

- Gus Edwards: UDFA but I'll count him since I was extremely confused why he was on the 53 and getting carries in regular season games at the beginning of his career here

Re: Wrong About/Right About: Ravens Draft Edition

Dixon was good just never healthy so I don't think you were wrong there. He was a Culex guy

Right about:
    Tim Williams- hated the pick. Hated that draft class period for that matter. Wanted ju ju or cooper kupp
    Chris wormley - hated the pick. Wanted cooper Kupp after they screwed up and didn’t pick JU ju schuster.
    Tyusbowser- hated majority of the picks in this draft. Wanted ju ju Schuster all the way. I did throw the tv remote at the wall on this pick.

Kamalei Correa: had no idea who he was when they made the pick. Wanted Yannick ngkaue

Breshard Permian: hated the pick the moment it was made. Wanted devin funches or jalen strong. None of them were any good but at least I was still right. Perriman sucks.
    I’d still rather seen devin funches as the pick.

Wrong about
    Marlon Humphrey: I wanted TJ Watt. So I can’t say I’m totally wrong here because marlon is great player but I still would have rather the pick been TJ Watt. Just think he’s more impactful and the ravens have zero pass rush at the moment.

Hayden hurst. Hated the pick. wanted DJ Moore & Calvin Ridley second.
    Hurst ended up being better than I expected but I’d still rather Moore or Ridley no matter what.

Here we are 4 drafts later and I’m still clamoring for a legit #1 WR so I’m used to being let down on draft day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    Right about:
    Tim Williams- hated the pick. Hated that draft class period for that matter. Wanted ju ju or cooper kupp
    Chris wormley - hated the pick. Wanted cooper Kupp after they screwed up and didn’t pick JU ju schuster.
    Tyusbowser- hated majority of the picks in this draft. Wanted ju ju Schuster all the way. I did throw the tv remote at the wall on this pick.

Kamalei Correa: had no idea who he was when they made the pick. Wanted Yannick ngkaue

Breshard Permian: hated the pick the moment it was made. Wanted devin funches or jalen strong. None of them were any good but at least I was still right. Perriman sucks.
    I’d still rather seen devin funches as the pick.

Wrong about
    Marlon Humphrey: I wanted TJ Watt. So I can’t say I’m totally wrong here because marlon is great player but I still would have rather the pick been TJ Watt. Just think he’s more impactful and the ravens have zero pass rush at the moment.

Hayden hurst. Hated the pick. wanted DJ Moore & Calvin Ridley second.
    Hurst ended up being better than I expected but I’d still rather Moore or Ridley no matter what.

Here we are 4 drafts later and I’m still clamoring for a legit #1 WR so I’m used to being let down on draft day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bowser has been pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Sign me up for an honorable mention on Bowser, I really liked him and while he started to click in 2020 with his versatility & coverage ability... definitely hasn't lived up to the player I thought he would become thus far. Thought Bowser and Tim Williams were a hell of a double dip at OLB at the time

They would go on to draft defense with 6/7 picks in rounds 1-3 in 2016-2017... offense completely left out in the cold. When I started to realize the game had passed Ozzie by to some extent

Blog Entries

Bc was the poster I remember being very high on Bowser going into the draft. Even when Bowser was kind of lost his rookie season Bc was still preaching patience.

The 2 picks I absolutely hated were Perriman and Hurst. We had a thread about which player who is expected to go round 1 would you want the least and Perriman won overwhelmingly. I was definitely not alone in my hate for that pick.

Hurst given his age never made sense to me as a 1st round guy. I watch a lot of SEC football and had seen him multiple times. A lot of older players have an advantage because they are fully grown and really at their peak vs. kids. That was Hurst. He had a physical advantage in college which I knew he wouldn't have in the NFL.

Buck Allen was the other guy I just didn't understand picking. They kept on talking about his speed but I saw a player who couldn't get open to use that speed. I had really wanted David Johnson who had all the skills that they were saying they were looking for when they drafted Buck Allen.

Like others I was very wrong on Maxx Williams. He was the opposite of Hurst. He was a kid who looked like he was going to get better and better and end up as this stud TE for the next decade. Maybe it was the injury but Maxx just never became the receiving threat I thought he would be.

Mark Andrews looked like a 1 trick pony in college. He would run up the middle and leap and Baker would hit him. I saw that and I saw a guy who was going to get crushed in the NFL. I saw the toll that took on Todd Head and Andrews wasn't the prospect that Heap was. Maxx Williams actually had a much more diversified route tree in college than Andrews. I didn't count on his physicality.

My worst miss in recent years was Jaylon Ferguson. This was another player I saw in college and he looked very good. He was raw but he had some actual pass rush moves which is not something you often see in lesser pass rush prospects. The reason was because Ferguson played 4 years of college football. He had 45 college sacks which was 2/3 of his tackles for loss! When you you ever hear that? I thought this kid was a steal. He was an instant impact NFL pass rusher......only he wasn't. He can't even get out of the very bottom of the depth chart. It's hard to believe this was the same player I saw in college.

I'm going to throw in 1 more even though it's old. Before the draft I would PM the 2 Va Tech alumni on this board and ask them if they saw the same thing I was seeing in Tyrod Taylor. I had never seen a QB who changed offensive systems so completely over the years and yet maintained his play. I thought that Tyrod was some sort of QB prodigy. He was the kind of the QB that Bill Walsh would always talk about. I knew his physical limitations but the head on that guy was special. I am not surprised to see Tyrod still playing in the NFL after 10 years. He was everything I thought he would be and was thrilled the Ravens drafted him even though I knew he'd be a backup.

Blog Entries

I wanted LJ for months and most of us were in on OJ Brown pick.

Going back a ways, I really wanted Chad Henne when they drafted Flacco and to this day I think it would've worked out. He went the road of dying franchises but is still in the league.

Another guy I was wrong about - Matt Elam, the dude was a tackling machine in college.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Tyus has made some plays but he has not been what I would consider a 2nd round pick impact for this team. He is a rotational player for the most part.

2nd round picks should be starters or every down players. Very replaceable and I do not think 1 Ravens fan would take him over Ju Ju or Cooper Kupp.

I'll be honest, I didn't like the Lamar pick. I thought Joe had some thing left but I also don't watch college football and we all know what the narrative around Lamar was: running qb that can't throw. I believed it. Because I'm stupid. I'm glad it turned out this way

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

I really was delighted when we drafted Brown and Elam. Was I wrong?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    I'll be honest, I didn't like the Lamar pick. I thought Joe had some thing left but I also don't watch college football and we all know what the narrative around Lamar was: running qb that can't throw. I believed it. Because I'm stupid. I'm glad it turned out this way

you're not alone. There were several posters who hated it the first year while Flacco was still on the team, and trashed the pick. I notice they love it now.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    you're not alone. There were several posters who hated it the first year while Flacco was still on the team, and trashed the pick. I notice they love it now.
    I have no problem admitting when I know something, that's quite often

“I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart