Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Perriman, Metcalfe, Terry

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Just to be clear, Greg Roman offenses in the past have regularly produced receivers with "#1 WR" numbers.
    Sammy Watkins
    Michael Crabtree
    Anquan Boldin

Don't fall for the false narrative. Roman's passing game feed the number 1 WR.
    They just need to make something of those targets.
    Now, if you're talking about the other receivers the non-#1s? Yeah, those guys aren't going produce volume numbers. But, this offense is great....league leading scoring great......best passing game in the NFL great....MVP QB great....led the league in TD passes great....all without high volume of passing attempts.
    Good point. But it's not so much volume as philosophy. Harbaugh is by nature risk averse and would rather ride the running game until he can't.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

FWIW - One of the reasons why Terry intrigues me is that if we continue to lean so heavily on the run, Brown and Terry on the outside would provide enough of a threat that it would be really hard to put 8 in the box. At least that is my "fan-level" theory.

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    Tyrell Williams hasn't been all that productive. 600+ yd seasons in 2018 & 2019 in a Raiders offense that throws the ball a solid amount isn't impressive, especially considering he was signed there to be a WR1 and was given plenty of opportunities to be "the guy".

Then you throw in the fact that he missed all of 2020 and is approaching 30, he's no spring chicken at this point. Not a guy I'm especially sold on as being a needle mover, no

The same year The Raiders signed Williams is the same year they traded for Antonio Brown. Matter of fact I think they traded for Antonio Brown way before they signed Williams as well. So the idea that The Raiders signed Williams to be their number one receiver is not correct. Tyrell Williams just turned 29 years old like 3 weeks ago so he's not approaching 30 until 2022 in February. You making it seem like he's turning 30 in the next few days or month which is not the case at all. He missed all of 2020 because of a shoulder injury. Do you think that his injury somehow will affect his ability as a receiver especially his speed?

I would get your point on this matter if he was coming off a majory injury like a torn acl or broken leg. Williams had 1,059 receiving yards and 6 touchdowns before once he was counted on as a number 1 receiver with The Chargers in 2016 but at the same time he wouldn't be asked to be that for The Ravens. Hollywood Brown played his butt of in the playoff and is Lamar Jackson guy. If anything Greg Roman just needs to create more better opportunites to help Brown excel in the passing game a bit more.

Blog Entries

Question Re: Perriman, Metcalfe, Terry

As time goes by I believe getting a 3rd (Pass Catching ) TE may be more important. Seems LJ8 is comfortable throwing to TEs while outside WRs give him problems. I'm no offensive guru, but as an average fan I'd like to see a strong TE added to our mix before a high-priced WR who may not make as great a difference. What do you think? ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    As time goes by I believe getting a 3rd (Pass Catching ) TE may be more important. Seems LJ8 is comfortable throwing to TEs while outside WRs give him problems. I'm no offensive guru, but as an average fan I'd like to see a strong TE added to our mix before a high-priced WR who may not make as great a difference. What do you think? ... Bc
    If more teams play the Ravens the way the Titans and Bills did, by clogging the middle against the run and pass (and why wouldn't they when it worked?) a WR would make much more difference than a TE. It's not as if Andrews, one of the best receiving TEs in the league, was able to find a lot of space in those games anyway. Another pass catching threat at TE might end up bringing even more bodies into the box.

Better WRs on the outside would, hopefully, spread defenses out a bit and make them worry about playing single coverage.

A late pick or a cheap FA who can catch would be nice but the Ravens already have the best blocking TE and a top 5 receiving TE, so it's not a glaring need in an off season full of them.

Blog Entries

I think it allows them to run much more of the offense without subbing. thumbs up

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

7. Re: Perriman, Metcalfe, Terry

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    If more teams play the Ravens the way the Titans and Bills did, by clogging the middle against the run and pass (and why wouldn't they when it worked?) a WR would make much more difference than a TE. It's not as if Andrews, one of the best receiving TEs in the league, was able to find a lot of space in those games anyway. Another pass catching threat at TE might end up bringing even more bodies into the box.

Better WRs on the outside would, hopefully, spread defenses out a bit and make them worry about playing single coverage.

A late pick or a cheap FA who can catch would be nice but the Ravens already have the best blocking TE and a top 5 receiving TE, so it's not a glaring need in an off season full of them.
    TE would be better. Because end zone. See: playoff losses. Apparently the only red zone pass catching option the Ravens have is Mark Andrews, and the Ravens will throw it to him whether he's open or not. At least in the playoffs losses. There aren't any WR problems that are clearly identifiable in the playoff losses. In wins, there aren't problems that need to be fixed. In the regular season, there are no problems that need to be fixed.

The Ravens do need an additional big player to throw to in the end zone in the playoffs in addition to Mark Andrews. They also need the oline not to suck in the playoffs. They don't need additional speedy weaponry. Lamar can run the ball in from the red zone. He can throw to big players. Throwing to small players isn't the best way to go. They don't have problems moving the ball between the 20s currently, unless the oline is sucking.

6'9 OL/TE Spencer Brown
    6'9 OL/TE Drew Himmelman
    6'7 TE/QB Tony Poljan

Just someone big who can catch the ball. Analyze the important losses and fix the problems that you find from watching those losses.

8. Re: Perriman, Metcalfe, Terry

I would say TE.

I don't think I would say "pass catching".

I would say BIG. I would say that all TEs should be able to catch the ball. I don't think you need the new TE to be able to do a whole bunch of complicated route running and all that, and I don't think you need a fast TE. The Ravens have Mark Andrews and he gets a lot of targets and catches and will continue to. They need to have a BIG RED ZONE THREAT, so that Lamar has more than 1 person to throw to in the end zone. Smaller WRs probably shouldn't be on the field in the red zone, should be replaced by 6'7+ guys, they don't need to be able to run fast, they just need to be able to catch the ball. Big guys are also better at blocking, and that's an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    I would say TE.

I don't think I would say "pass catching".

I would say BIG. I would say that all TEs should be able to catch the ball. I don't think you need the new TE to be able to do a whole bunch of complicated route running and all that, and I don't think you need a fast TE. The Ravens have Mark Andrews and he gets a lot of targets and catches and will continue to. They need to have a BIG RED ZONE THREAT, so that Lamar has more than 1 person to throw to in the end zone. Smaller WRs probably shouldn't be on the field in the red zone, should be replaced by 6'7+ guys, they don't need to be able to run fast, they just need to be able to catch the ball. Big guys are also better at blocking, and that's an advantage.

Greg Roman has always been a fan of athletic/versatile tight ends. I don't think a big tightend is some thing he would be intrigue by only especially if that tightend is going to play a similar role to Hayden Hurst.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post

If teams are "clogging the middle" they sure aren't stopping our running game. While the Hurst trade was a good one, we ended up with Dobbins, the Ravens did miss his pass catching ability. Yes better outside WRs would be great, but we're already bitching that LJ8 doesn't seem comfortable throwing outside. BTW, a 2nd TE who can not only catch, but can block too, seems would help our run game and take some pressure off Andrews as well... Bc

I feel like I've touched on examples such as Larry Fitzgerald a couple times. That guy is extremely confident in his ability but not outwardly expressive or vocal about it. My point isn't that great WR's are braggers, divas, and shit talkers.

Simply that they have ultimate confidence in their ability. That can manifest through many different personality types. The way a guy like Chad Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald expresses themselves is drastically different, however the trait they have in common is supreme confidence. Same with Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Calvin Johnson.

12. Re: Perriman, Metcalfe, Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    Greg Roman has always been a fan of athletic/versatile tight ends. I don't think a big tightend is some thing he would be intrigue by only especially if that tightend is going to play a similar role to Hayden Hurst.
    Nick Boyle is a blocking TE. I'm not sure how that fits your analysis. He's not a pass catching TE / big receiver, but a not so tall, but heavy, TE who has a nice set of height and weight for blocking. He's getting paid a decent amount of money, more than you would think many other teams would pay, because the Ravens value his abilities at blocking. I'd think that a TE who was big like Tony Poljan or a bigger one like TE/OL Spencer Brown or Drew Himmelman might meet the need for big red zone threat and would help with blocking. It seems to me that you're killing many birds with one stone if you have a swing OT who has the TE background, who was converted to OT in college, who can be a legit OT blocking from the TE spot and is big and can catch short TD passes in the end zone. Catching short TD passes in the end zone was a difficulty in the playoffs. Not enough tall targets mean the ball would go to Mark Andrews whether or not he was covered, or double covered or triple covered. Have more big targets out there, maybe Andrews will have better results with fewer players covering him.

The Ravens don't really need more speedy pass catching weapons. They have the 2 pass catchers that Lamar likes to throw to, Hollywood and Andrews, I don't see any reason why that would change, they have Duvernay, who I like, who could get more snaps. They don't need a TE/WR type, beyond the fact that they do need a big red zone threat, but I would think the attribute that the Ravens would be looking for would be big, before fast.